Back from vet - Radar update

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i hope all goes well tomorrow for Radar - even if he's feeling better he should still get a blood test. stoli got very ill in January and that blood work ruled out a TON of stuff for us.......

praying for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I hope Radar gets better soon. Great to hear he is acting a bit more himself. What did you end up feading him. I know my own doctor told me to eat bland chicken and fish when I got sick after being in Cuba. Not sure if that helps, but she said meat is harder to digest than chicken and white fish.
Hills i/d- left over from his hernia operation, contains L-lysine and probiotics

Fish didn't look too good in the end but the Hills tastes lovely...

Might even let Radar eat some

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Fish didn't look too good in the end
Just feel I need to clarify this comment, I thought we had some good cod steaks in the freezer but I pulled them out to cook them and they were frozen in the middle and mummified on the outside - I think the freezer needs defrosting
so he had the i/d instead (shops are long closed), it's a pretty bland food designed to be easy on the stomach and has L-lysine added and a probiotic to help balance the gut flora and ease stomach problems. It's not the best food in the world for normal use, but it is designed for recovery from illness or surgery and I happened to have some left over

I went out to meet Nate from work, we came home, opened the sitting room door, and Radar bowled out of it to investigate the hallway (been keeping him confined so we can monitor pee/poo/vomit easier), and he's also been up to the top of 2 bookcases to use one as a scratching post and knock stuff off the other, and he's been bugging my shoelaces which makes me really happy and I will never complain about it again. He's resting a bit in the hallway just now, but he doesn't look hunched and uncomfortable any more, just relaxed.

I too have calmed down somewhat

Thank you for all your kind comments and vibes, fingers crossed that he is still improving in the morning

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is back on top of the sitting room door leaping around and trying to give me heart failure.

This is all good. Hopefully he will still feel as well and active in the morning, fingers crossed.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

He is back on top of the sitting room door leaping around and trying to give me heart failure.

This is all good. Hopefully he will still feel as well and active in the morning, fingers crossed.
See he's back to reaking havoc... all is well.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless Radar I hope he gets to feeling better. My prayers to Radar and his loving family. He is very blessed to have you as his Mom and Dad.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar and I have this little bit of a routine going in the mornings. He sleeps in the sitting room, and when I first go in there in the morning he usually gives me the most enthusiastic dribbly cuddles and finger-sucking/chewing you could ever want. The only time I've not had cuddles is if something very interesting distracts him before he gets to me, a bug to hunt, a box to explore, guests to torment etc.

Really the first sign I spotted that he wasn't well was when I came in on Monday morning and he barely stirred from his sleep, and I haven't had my morning cuddles the last 2 days.

When Nate got up this morning I asked him how Radar was and he said 'sleepy', so I went into the sitting room dreading finding him looking sick again. However when I went in he stretched, ran into the kitchen, ran back, and I got really enthusiastic dribbly cuddles, I am covered in cat hair, and have about had my thumb chewed off

And I have just heard an almighty crash from the kitchen

I don't want to get my hopes up too much before seeing what the vet says, but it really looks as if he is feeling a lot better now. He is disgusted that I am feeding him i/d, I put it down for him and he runs over and when he sees what it is he gives me the most disapproving look

Here's hoping that he continues to act normal, and that the vet tells us he is much better too.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh that is good news to read, sounds like the little monkey is getting back to full-tilt

Good luck at the vets........keep us posted

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's pulled laundry off the radiator in the hallway and curled up on it to snooze. I am still panicking and imagining a setback every time he sleeps, although he does tend to nap during the day but not normally this early. He hasn't touched his food this morning, I have taken away his dry because he wasn't eating it because of his throat. He really doesn't like the i/d wet though, so I think I will give him a bit of his usual food watered down before I go to work and see if that does the trick, he ate a lot yesterday. I really should try not to worry so much.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

oh NO - just a gag, or has he been sick ?
No vomit, he hasn't actually been sick since overnight Monday, but he is gagging a lot, it's almost like hiccups. I'm going to scoop his litterbox before I go to work so I'll have a good look to see if anything's coming out the other end.

I am trying to think of anything that could have caused this. Could an impacted hairball do this and cause a fever and acid reflux and gas in the bowel? He is shedding his winter trousers at the moment and grooming a lot, he is shorthair but his coat is unbelieveably thick and fluffy.

ETA: he has now woken up again and is bugging my feet (actually really quite badly
I don't have the heart to tell him off tho
) and pretending that my knees are a scratching post even tho he knows that is not allowed. And then he's back to gagging again. *sigh* I am swinging between hope and despair within a matter of minutes, this is so stressful.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well 'hairballs' can cause problems as you know and if he is shedding & grooming a lot then, I suppose that could be part of it ? ?

I suppose the vet will be able to answer your question in more depth, is it today you go back