Baby kittens dying

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help me my cat had three kittens two weeks ago two of them died yesterday i have one left but it seems like momma dont wanna take care of it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help me my cat had three babies two weeks ago everything seemed fine but i went in and one was dead and than a few hours later she brought one to me that was dead she has one left she dosent seem to want to take care of it she also brought that one to me help me save this baby

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to take them to the vet.  Do you have any KMR ? If you have some pate cat food you can dilute it to a very soft paste and finger feed some into the kitten's cheek. Really the only answer is a vet.

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to take them to the vet.  Do you have any KMR ? If you have some pate cat food you can dilute it to a very soft paste and finger feed some into the kitten's cheek. Really the only answer is a vet.
I will but its a holiday and i live on a limited budget so i cant until tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you need to keep the kitten warm and supplement with KMR-kitten milk replacement. you need to stick to high end brands-Pet AG is a good one. only powdered. never the premix-issues with it giving kittens diarrhea. Don't buy Hartz or Sergent (sp?). ?You need to make sure kitten is warm BEFORE feeding. get some rice and put it in a sock then tie knot then nuke in the microwave to heat it up, this can go into the nest with the kitten. or you can hold the kitten against your skin on your chest. feel the feet/nose/ears/tail to see if they are warmed up.- you will know by how cold it feels vs after holding swaddled for 15-30 min. then tummy DOWN and head up use a needless syringe OR a animal nursing bottle with nipple. 

If using syringe-one drop at a time at corner of mouth-let them eat and breathe and swallow. it takes a bit of time. you can't overfeed but I think I read someone recommended 1-2ml at a time.

Dont forget to stimulate them to pee/poop with a wet clothe on its bottom-do this before feeding and after feeding.

I am sure others more experienced will chime in soon. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Without knowing why the other two died its nearly impossible to suggest anything but trying to keep the kitten nourished, warm and make sure you help it go to the bathroom. Is the baby lethargic or active ?

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you i have a rice sock in there already where do i get kmr

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far its active i made momma lay down with me and put the baby on her it didnt last long and she was gone

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed yesterday she seemed engorged but didnt know there hard its crying now and momma came running in and gpt in the box with it shes loving on it but not laying down so it can nurse

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's not what you want to hear. You need a veterinarian.  I flagged your post and asked for help hopefully one of the advisors  will respond.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get it at a pet store or Walmart. You need to start to feed every hour as soon as possible.

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you foxxycat ill go right now momma isnt in the box with her so i have the rice sox warmed and in there

mary schneider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens mom Thank you for trying to help im new on here and dont know what to do everyone thanks im heading to wal-mart now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So far its active i made momma lay down with me and put the baby on her it didnt last long and she was gone
Whom is gone? the last baby still alive has now die
Kittens mom Thank you for trying to help im new on here and dont know what to do everyone thanks im heading to wal-mart now
Yes, if you have Walmart nearby, they should have the gears - PetAg kmr in powder.  Goats milk is OK too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok. You had got good advices so far.   If the momma is still willing to help her washing and giving warm - good and swell, it makes much of your work easier.  If not, you must raise her as a weak orphan yourself.   Look onto the articles about handraising orphans...

Be sure she is warm.  give a good kmr or goats milk.  Probably best to do it with a needleless syringe, as explained above, tummy down, head up, dropwise in the corner of the mouth so she can swallow...  If she swallows well it goes fairly quick, otherwise it may take time.  If she wriggles, you can  held her in a towel as in a burrito.

Burp afterwards.

Help with stimulation and elimination if momma doesnt do it.

Be sure also she has enough of fluids.  Try to get home a flavorless pedialyte for babies - otherwise you can make it home too.  Some glucose sugar source - alike white caro syrup or honey  will be useful in many situations.

A scale, so you know if she gains properly - ie if she gets enough....

Vet is good to see what disease it may be.  But the everyday care you must do yourself.  Also, many vets arent good at helping weak small kittens...

But two kittens had died. Momma began to abandon the third - and this they do when they notice the kitten wont make it.  Now, such kittens can often be saved if the owner or rescuer do fight by all her might.

But dont be too devastated if even your best tries wont be enough...

Please come back with new reports and new questions.