B12 for IBD, weird frequency -- and needle size?

tanoposc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My vet prescribed injectable B12 for my cat for GI absorption issues. I've seen that the standard protocol is 250 mcg weekly for 6 weeks to start.

He prescribed 500 mcg every 2 weeks instead.

It probably doesn't make a huge difference, but wondering if the reduced frequency matters, like does the B12 injection last 2 weeks until the next one?

Also, since 500 mcg is more liquid, what size needle will be comfortable while still not taking forever to get into the cat? I have 27-gauge needles available for use, but can get a smaller gauge if it will take too long to administer with 27 gauge.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is thought that for a heathy cat, their tissue retains the B-12 for almost 2 weeks, but for a cat with gastrointestinal or other health issues, the retention might be a low as 5 days. You might want to ask the vet what their reasoning is behind every other week dosing.

When I first started giving B-12 to Feeby, I was advised to use 25 gauge needles and it went very quickly, but I was also only giving her 0.25ml (250 mcg). She is now on sub-Q fluids, so I administer the B-12 through the y-port on the tubing.