Awesome cats?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our RB Hydrox, the Old Coot, knew where we kept his catnip....on the second shelf in the cabinet above the countertop in the kitchen. And one day, I came home from work and found leaves all over the kitchen. Took me a minute to realize that they were catnip leaves (it was homegrown catnip). Evidently, Hydrox got up on the countertop, stretched up, opened the cabinet door, and grabbed the bag of catnip. When I got home, he was sprawled out under the kitchen table......sound asleep. And boy, did he have the munchies when I awakened him! And I had to wake him up, he wasn't moving on his own. Hydrox knew how to shake paws and he could sit up and beg for a treat. As he got older, he had trouble sitting up, but he could still stick that paw out for a good shake.

BooBoo likes to do The Bounce. After I get out of the shower and open the bathroom door, he'll saunter into the bathroom and hop up on the toilet seat......that's my cue to pick him up and sling him over my left shoulder. As he plays with my wet hair, I'll Bounce him around the house while singing to him. He purrs and purrs and then I take him back to the bedroom and flop him on the bed....he curls up and takes a nap. Boo is deaf now and can't hear me sing (which might be a good thing!), but he can still feel the vibrations of my voice, I guess. We still Bounce, not as often as we did, but maybe once a week or so. Oh, and since Boo is now deaf, we've been working on some sign language. If I'm feeding the kids, sometimes he'll see them coming to the kitchen, so he knows the food is coming. But there are when he's sleeping and I have to awaken him. Then I gently tap him, he awakens and I put my hands together three times and then crook my finger (saying C'mon, buddy, although he can't hear me). But he's learned now that those gestures mean food and he'll come with me. And when he wants food, he'll meow. But if I ignore him? Now he will jump on me and nudge my hands!! We think that's his way to getting the point through to me that he wants food because I use my hands to tell him that it's time for his supper. He's a truly amazing cat.

Also, BooBoo was called The Flying RugCat when he was younger. He would leap up the top of the bedroom door and walk along the top of the door. Then he'd fling himself off the top of the door, spread his legs out and "fly" to the bed. Land on the bed, jump to the floor, leap to the top of the door and do it all again. He also tried to walk across the top of the closet door jambs, but they were too narrow and he fell off. The cats have a treat machine with a huge fabric-covered wheel that you turn for the treats to drop out. Didn't take Boo long to figure out how to turn the wheel. Rick said that Boo was developing quite the "pawcep" from turning the wheel all the time.

RB Banshee was smart enough to realize that if she hung around the treat machine long enough, Boo would turn the wheel, the treats would drop out, and she could swipe her paw under Boo's paw and grab the treats away from him. He'd look at her, sigh, and keep turning. After Banshee had enough treats, then he could eat his fill, too. We would take Banshee away from the machine so that Boo could have his own treats. After all, he worked for them!

Banshee also knew that she liked being under the bed covers during the winter. And during the night, if the bed covers fell off of her, she would pat my face and meow at me to awaken me. I'd put the covers back around her and gather her close to me and she'd fall back asleep.

There are other things that our kids did or do, but I guess that's enough for now.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yelloweyedcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our RB Hydrox, the Old Coot, knew where we kept his catnip....on the second shelf in the cabinet above the countertop in the kitchen. And one day, I came home from work and found leaves all over the kitchen. Took me a minute to realize that they were catnip leaves (it was homegrown catnip). Evidently, Hydrox got up on the countertop, stretched up, opened the cabinet door, and grabbed the bag of catnip. When I got home, he was sprawled out under the kitchen table......sound asleep. And boy, did he have the munchies when I awakened him! And I had to wake him up, he wasn't moving on his own. Hydrox knew how to shake paws and he could sit up and beg for a treat. As he got older, he had trouble sitting up, but he could still stick that paw out for a good shake.

BooBoo likes to do The Bounce. After I get out of the shower and open the bathroom door, he'll saunter into the bathroom and hop up on the toilet seat......that's my cue to pick him up and sling him over my left shoulder. As he plays with my wet hair, I'll Bounce him around the house while singing to him. He purrs and purrs and then I take him back to the bedroom and flop him on the bed....he curls up and takes a nap. Boo is deaf now and can't hear me sing (which might be a good thing!), but he can still feel the vibrations of my voice, I guess. We still Bounce, not as often as we did, but maybe once a week or so. Oh, and since Boo is now deaf, we've been working on some sign language. If I'm feeding the kids, sometimes he'll see them coming to the kitchen, so he knows the food is coming. But there are when he's sleeping and I have to awaken him. Then I gently tap him, he awakens and I put my hands together three times and then crook my finger (saying C'mon, buddy, although he can't hear me). But he's learned now that those gestures mean food and he'll come with me. And when he wants food, he'll meow. But if I ignore him? Now he will jump on me and nudge my hands!! We think that's his way to getting the point through to me that he wants food because I use my hands to tell him that it's time for his supper. He's a truly amazing cat.

Also, BooBoo was called The Flying RugCat when he was younger. He would leap up the top of the bedroom door and walk along the top of the door. Then he'd fling himself off the top of the door, spread his legs out and "fly" to the bed. Land on the bed, jump to the floor, leap to the top of the door and do it all again. He also tried to walk across the top of the closet door jambs, but they were too narrow and he fell off. The cats have a treat machine with a huge fabric-covered wheel that you turn for the treats to drop out. Didn't take Boo long to figure out how to turn the wheel. Rick said that Boo was developing quite the "pawcep" from turning the wheel all the time.

RB Banshee was smart enough to realize that if she hung around the treat machine long enough, Boo would turn the wheel, the treats would drop out, and she could swipe her paw under Boo's paw and grab the treats away from him. He'd look at her, sigh, and keep turning. After Banshee had enough treats, then he could eat his fill, too. We would take Banshee away from the machine so that Boo could have his own treats. After all, he worked for them!

Banshee also knew that she liked being under the bed covers during the winter. And during the night, if the bed covers fell off of her, she would pat my face and meow at me to awaken me. I'd put the covers back around her and gather her close to me and she'd fall back asleep.

There are other things that our kids did or do, but I guess that's enough for now.
Cats and their catnip. I recently purchased some Catnip from Pets at Home as wanted to encourage play for both my girls. Tibbs is an indoor Cat and needs more exercise and Fidget only plays with bits of string and isn't quite sure on how play works. Needless to say the results were quite good. Took Tibbs awhile to become active but Fidget went absolutely bonkers for it; tried to climb up my legs and grab it from my hands. I left it on the floor by mistake too and found her rolling around on the floor, hugging the bag. (Got a good picture of it) Oh, I do love Cats. Aren't they wonderful..

A Cat giving paw. Now that I would love to see. Have you ever taken any pictures or vids? Would be great to see them but usually Cats are sneaky and do it when they know you won't be catching them anytime soon. ;)

Boo boo sounds such a clever cat. :) Cats when they want feeding, ey? Fidget tends to hit me in the legs and Tibbs circles around my legs. 

Your Cats sound wonderful.

I never stop getting amazed at what they can do. They just do the most bizzare things ever. I think to them it's natural and they don't even think about it. Intelligent!