Attention Tortie Owners!

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my sweet Cilla was a torti, she was my soul-mate and so very full of love. She was pretty much a one-person cat though, my little niece called her "grrr". I always felt so bad! Buddy & Grrr. She was the queen of our house, just the way I liked it. She was Buddy's best friend, and mine also. I guess she was bossy - she did unthinkable things when she wanted me to get up and feed her. But she was also the most lovable beautiful creature I've ever shared my life with. For that I never minded a little "lick, lick, lick, bite".

My boyfriend's two calicos are also testy and they get into each other quiet often. Part of it might just be a girl thing!
They will rip you up if you try to trim their claws, and often swipe at each other. (the moving in process should prove interesting).

Buddy is so laid back, and when he wants to be alone, he just disappears. Cilla on the other hand, would drive me insane if she wanted my lap while I was on the computer, but I loved it when we went to bed each night and she would lay on my chest and purr me to sleep. I miss her so very much.

Gina

loving Cilla always & forever

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello

I just wanted 2 say i have a tortie and a calico and both will grab/lach on to me sometimes when im petting them or trying to move them out of my way. Wierd our cats all seem so much alike. BUt from day one I have showed how much I dislike when they act like that by saying NO and if i was REALLY mad i would STOMP my feet hiss and growl at them lol, then i would ignore them so they are not to rough with me.

IF Anyone 1 of them wants pets and starts with that rough sillyness I stop petting them and just leave so they learned that they will never get my attention by being rough with me NO ONE WILL~! (that goes for people and dogs to lol)

Also I NEVER Rough house with them like I use to with my male cat who was so sweet and gentle he would NEVer hurt me, and never got to rough, but i cant rough house with the tortie and calico because its teaching them bad manners and they ALWAYS get carried away, if they want to wrestle if they want to take out their claws they do it on EACH OTHER LOL WHich is how i want it because i am pretty sensative to pain and i refuse to live with an animal that is going to hurt me, some people can live like that but i cant.

So the attitude can be controlled I am alpha of the house and no one is going to beat me up.

They dont really respect my friend tho who totally babyies my calico but one time when my calico wanted my friends attention and my friend would not give it to her my calico gave her a few "WACKS" on her back to teach my friend a lesson LOL I just laughed, that is something my cats would NEVER do to me so my method of training has worked out great!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prue is a tortie, and she is the most loving, sweet cat i have ever had. but she does lay in the walkway when bored and swipes anything that walks by,lol

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But I have had cats that do the same thing and they weren't torties! I think that people expect for their tortie to be a little different, so the cat is different (or the owner perceives that they are). I've done some research and apart from the colouring, there is nothing genetic about the cat that would cause them to act differently, so it must be in the way that we raise em!
In most cases, I would agree with you, except for my personal experience with calicos. I had never heard of "tortitude" before coming here, but I think there is something to it. I am curious what your research consists of though.

I've closely known 5 calicos. Of the 5, 3 had some serious amount of attitude, one was actually a good cat, and the fifth was a kitten, so I don't think she counts either way. All the 3 had the same issue. You'd pet them, they'd purr, then they'd decide they don't WANT to be pet any more, so they swipe. If they're feeling particularly lazy, they might give you a warning growl. Or not....

I've not known other female cats to be quite this irate. Usually, if they don't want to be pet, they don't take random swipes. The tortis all seem to have short tempers though.

I've considered maybe that it's gender instead (that might also explain orange kitties being opposite, most are males). However, any other female I've known doesn't act this way, and the orange females I've know are just as sweet as their male counterparts (come to think of it, I've not met an orange cat yet that wasn't a lovebug... I think that tally is 6 orange cats.)

My theory is it has to do with the orange coloring gene. Maybe it's close to the genes for personality, so they tend to go together. That would explain why tortis and gingers are associated with certain traits, but other colors are seemingly more varied.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

In most cases, I would agree with you, except for my personal experience with calicos. I had never heard of "tortitude" before coming here, but I think there is something to it. I am curious what your research consists of though.

I've closely known 5 calicos. Of the 5, 3 had some serious amount of attitude, one was actually a good cat, and the fifth was a kitten, so I don't think she counts either way. All the 3 had the same issue. You'd pet them, they'd purr, then they'd decide they don't WANT to be pet any more, so they swipe. If they're feeling particularly lazy, they might give you a warning growl. Or not....

I've not known other female cats to be quite this irate. Usually, if they don't want to be pet, they don't take random swipes. The tortis all seem to have short tempers though.

I've considered maybe that it's gender instead (that might also explain orange kitties being opposite, most are males). However, any other female I've known doesn't act this way, and the orange females I've know are just as sweet as their male counterparts (come to think of it, I've not met an orange cat yet that wasn't a lovebug... I think that tally is 6 orange cats.)

My theory is it has to do with the orange coloring gene. Maybe it's close to the genes for personality, so they tend to go together. That would explain why tortis and gingers are associated with certain traits, but other colors are seemingly more varied.
I agree with you.
Until we had Annabelle I never knew that Torties had the "split personality" reputation.
I grabbed Annabelle out of the middle of a busy street, she was a mess.
I always put her attitude down to the fact that I didn't know her background and from the shape she was in assumed she'd been abused or stray for a long time.
I mentioned her behavior to the Vet and he laughed and told me "That's a Tortie for you, they're all a little nuts."

I've also had the same experiance with Orange cats...I've had two in my life.
Gracie is an angel, the sweetest little thing on four legs her Sister Lizzie (RB) was also orange.
She too was a sweetheart, though she did have her moments.

It seems odd that coloring could have anything to do with the temperment of a cat, but in my experiance it sure has.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another thing i noticed with torties and calicos is there HUGE dislike towards dogs

Anyone else notice this? they seem to be much better at putting dogs in their place then other cats

My dog always took advantage of my male cats easy going personality but he did not dare mess with the torties

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just getting ready to do a post asking for y'all to educate me on torti's...and then I did a search and found this thread. Love this forum!

A few weeks ago hubby brought home this gorgeous little female, probably preggers. According to hubby, she had been a stray for about three months, and that's all that was known about her. I thought she was the wierdest looking calico I've ever seen. Cute, but strange. Well with the help of folks here, I learned about tortoiseshells.

I've known / shared lives with, many felines in the past. I know all about "catitude". But this cat seemed...well...different. Strangest acting cat I've ever met. I've known strays before, ferals tamed down before, but this cat is just...different.

So off we go to the vet. The office cat there is a calico, comes over to meet and greet, and my little Pixie hisses ! The receptionist laughs and says well yeah, you have two "different colored" cats there - it's no surprise! (This was before I even knew about this forum.) Really, I thought? Huh. I've known Calico's before...never noticed any real 'tude from them.

So during the exam, the vet and assistant both make comments about how "calico's" have err "different" attitudes than most other cats.

So today I decide to dig deeper into this whole "tortitude" thing....and I'm starting to get a whole new level of understanding about Pixie.

Had to laugh when I read this post here:

(quote) Yes all cats have attitude in one way or anouther but torties are just more pronounced. Look at it this way, if a woman is a b with an itch, is that behavior or attitude? To me its attitude. Behavior as far as I know is learned where as attitude is just there.

Have you ever owned a tortie? Or spent a considerable amount of time with one. You will see most tortie owners have the same attitude. I can go from sweet and loving to flying of the handle at the smallest thing. Its not a behavior its just that sometimes I get annoyed and let everyone around me know it. Asme thing goes for my Karma. If she is annoyed with me she lets me know. (end quote - underlines are mine.)

Oh, my poor dear hubby. He doesn't know what he's in for. First me, with my 'tudes sometimes....and then he brings home a torti!

When we discussed getting a (male) kitten....I was on the hunt for an affectionate cuddle-bug type of kitty. Apparently Karma has other plans for me....but that's ok. I'm looking forward to learning Pixie's lessons about what Tortitude is all about.

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother owns a tortie with tabby markings. She's the rudest little thing ever. She used to be a sweet little girl but from age 10 mo. on, she just developed this horrible attitude. Literally the only time I can pet her is when she's eating. Forget about picking her up. She spits, growls, claws, hisses and attacks me otherwise. It hurts my feelings b/c I have never done anything to her to warrant this behavior and I just wish she'd like me. I do not live at home so maybe she just doesn't like visitors. She's nicer to my parents but even then she's moody too sometimes.

The funny thing was one time my parents went out of town and left her and their other cat at my apartment for a week. The first few days were a disaster with her. One day in the middle of the week, she was hungry or attention deprived so she came up to rub against me, but at the same time she was hissing! It was so weird. She got to somewhat like me by the end of the week, but the whole week was just so bizarre. Maybe she just really doesn't like strangers but no other cat we've ever had reacted in that manner.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh, the calico (or torti) attitude! Like several others have mentioned, it was atually my vet that I first heard talk about the attitudes that calicos have. I took Trinity in to get checked out by my new (at the time) vet. I was quite surprised when my little lovebug turned into a hissing, spitting, growling mess as soon as the vet touched her! My vet just laughed and told me it was ok because he is a card carrying member of the calico club. When I looked confused, he explained that in his experience, calicos, and all the other tri colors tend to have an attitude all of their own.

The typical Parti-Color has a very regal attitude and will usually manage to claim the choice pillow on the couch, or even better a place on the bed next to your head, but they will always be in the center of things when something really exciting is going on.
I love that part of the explanation someone posted. I know this was in reference to a particular breed, but I think it fits Trinity perfectly. She is queen of the roost and she knows it! She doesn't really ever lash out at me or anyone else, she just is very particular about how she wants things and when she wants them. She is my only female, so I have always assumed at least part of her difference in attitude is because she is the only female in the house with three males cats.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mention of the vet made me laugh. Daphne is a docile sweetie at the vet, Sebastian turns into a crazy kitty blender. Heaven help anyone who gets in his way. Seb is usually 100% cuddle bug but not a the vet. He, of course, is not a tortie

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to say, just about every female cat I've ever known has had plenty if "cattitude". My own two are a dilute calico - very sweet & cuddly, wouldn't hurt a fly - and a temperamental blue point with plenty of attitude. I personally haven't seen any evidence that color has anything to do with attitude.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine, my torti-point Colorpoint Shorthair -she's the sweetest thing ever- not an ounce of tortitude in that girl. She's never bit or scratched at me.

But, my former foster kitten Fancy (dilute tortishell)- man- that kitten was nothing BUT tortitude
She was a little heifer- one minute she was a little love bug and the next she was a piranana
It was just her personality. Just her torti self

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilly is a torti/calico. Mostly she's just the sweetest girl ever..BUT, occasionally she acts like a demanding ole queen. She lays on my lap or desk when I work and when she wants to be petted it doesn't matter what you are doing she demands you pet her right then.

One day I was working on the computer and using the mouse. She kept sticking her head under my mouse hand to be petted. Unfortunately I was under an extreme deadline and didn't have time to pet the cat. Wow...did she get upset. She actually sat up and hissed at me. I was in a bad mood and hissed back at her loudly. She snorted at me, jumped down from my desk, looked back at me and snorted again - then slowly stomped her way out of my room. She came back in about 2 hours later like nothing ever happened.

I guess that I would describe her behavior as occasionally "pet-ulant"

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Lilly is a torti/calico. Mostly she's just the sweetest girl ever..BUT, occasionally she acts like a demanding ole queen. She lays on my lap or desk when I work and when she wants to be petted it doesn't matter what you are doing she demands you pet her right then.

One day I was working on the computer and using the mouse. She kept sticking her head under my mouse hand to be petted. Unfortunately I was under an extreme deadline and didn't have time to pet the cat. Wow...did she get upset. She actually sat up and hissed at me. I was in a bad mood and hissed back at her loudly. She snorted at me, jumped down from my desk, looked back at me and snorted again - then slowly stomped her way out of my room. She came back in about 2 hours later like nothing ever happened.

I guess that I would describe her behavior as occasionally "pet-ulant"
Consider yourself TOLD, human!!

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Consider yourself TOLD, human!!
Oh yeah...she's got me well trained now. I'm a slave to my cat.

There is such a difference between her and my part oriental boy. He so wants to please me and gets his feelings hurt if I speak sternly to him. Lilly, however, thinks I exist only for her pleasure and to make sure her food bowl is filled.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Oh yeah...she's got me well trained now. I'm a slave to my cat.

There is such a difference between her and my part oriental boy. He so wants to please me and gets his feelings hurt if I speak sternly to him. Lilly, however, thinks I exist only for her pleasure and to make sure her food bowl is filled.
Check the little slave driver in my sig.

smsinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Monica is just silly. I will say "Monica wants toy" she will do a little chirp or two or three, then when she is playing she will get toy in her mouth & growl! Silly girl.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does have some basis in science. The color genes are linked to other genes; so those other genes could be causing some personality difference.

That said, the torties and calicos at the shelter where I help out are among the most unpredictable cats there.

steffie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i must be one of the lucky ones then because my little Tortie girl is good as gold, she's 9 months old now and if i tell her to come out of the bathroom or kitchen she will and she's always so sweet and gives kisses and cuddles all the time.................. however her brother Bobby is a right little terror. he's ginger and white and i think its him with the attitude!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by steffie

i must be one of the lucky ones then because my little Tortie girl is good as gold, she's 9 months old now and if i tell her to come out of the bathroom or kitchen she will and she's always so sweet and gives kisses and cuddles all the time.................. however her brother Bobby is a right little terror. he's ginger and white and i think its him with the attitude!
I'm right there with you. Daphne is just a little sweetheart