Attention Tortie Owners!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heh i firmly belive in tortietude, i also belive in calico tude lol

I have two torties in the house full of TUDE..

jades nick name is the Beetch (err ya know lol) and my sweet baby mara, went from being my little angel. to my little Diva..in no time flat..

i also have 5 calicos...

Tude heaven here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My calicos and bluecreams didn't have the attitude my torties did. I've had torties as mixed breed cats and pedigrees - in both cases, they had a different personality then the rest. I did not treat or expect them to act any specific way - yet when they grew up, they developed the "attitude".

Same went for my red tabbies - every single one of them was goofy, very active, and very outgoing.

Even my white rex female had attitude - not cause she was white, but genetically she was a tortie underneath the white (mom was a white carrying seal tortie point, dad was a red tabby). Lily produced both reds and blacks - that's why I know she was a tortie.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger is the sweetest cat I've ever met. She has never been agressive toward me, but she'll smack Ferris around for just looking at her!

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Olivia a torty, has never struck out at anyone here, however I noticed all torty's I ever met are very vocal, and seem to be very sensative with they're fur or skin. pet very lightly. Olivia wants attention constantly, she cry's at my feet, bumping me, all day as I sit here on the computer. I play with her for an hour, with the fishing pole feather thing which she loves. but I have only so much time and attention span myself. after I tire, she still wants to play, can't wear her out. She would play for hours with that thing and me. Mike, Medford, Ore

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Roxie (obviously a torti) definately has "torti-tude." I had never heard of that before joining TCS. She is the sweetest girl one second, cuddling in your lap and licking your face and then all of a sudden she will swipe -- and run away of course. I guess it's her way of saying "Meowmy, I've had enough.. and don't come looking for me!!"

When I told my BF about the "torti-tude" thing he laughed so hard because it's Roxie to a tee!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all of the replies...but I have 3 torties so I'll put my 2 cents in. I think it has more to do with gender than anything else. The same "attitude" that I see in my torties I also see in the other 2 girls I have. They all have their moments.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krispie

Many years ago, I had a tortie named tuttle. She was different than any other cat I have had( and I have had many!). She was very sweet, loving and cuddly when SHE wanted to be, but her attitude came through loud and clear when it suited her. She was a great cat, but get out of the way if she was in a mood
that sounds just like my little Jenny

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Though Nuit has a major attitude problem more often then not and little Zoey is the sweetest cat I 've ever had or known.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My tortie is chronically skittish, somewhat obsessive, and very reclusive. She can be very affectionate, but only on her own terms. If you make her mad she is a force to be reckoned with. She suffered some trauma as a kitten before we got her (her mom was killed by a car, she was rescued and taken to the vet who gave her to us - i've always wondered if perhaps she was feral) and i've thought that early experience had more to do with her behavior than her coat color, however i've met an awful lot of people with torties who share these behaviors that weren't traumatized so maybe there is something to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Trout is healthy and doesn't have behavioural problems..I guess she exhibits the same attitude as some other "queen of the house" cats. I just hate that sometimes I feel like she hates my stinking guts..but then I guess I shouldn't worry because she is on my lap purring 10 minutes later

She has never broken my skin when biting, I think its usually a warning snap telling me that she is not impressed. But it happens probably once every week or two and it still hurts my feelings every time.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies..I understand now that alot of cats can be b****es and I guess I will try to take her with a grain of salt.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued Annabelle from the middle of a highway I was completely unaware that torties had attitude.

At first I was blaming all her Dr Jekel and Mr. Hyde behavior on the fact that she was a stray, that I didn't know her background and that given the shape she was in she'd either been abused or been stray for a very long time.

Then on one of her yearly checkups I mentioned to the Vet how she could turn on you for no reason...he just looked at me laughed and said "That's a Tortie for you, they're all a little nuts"

There are times that she'll be in a room away from all of us and we'll here her crying I'll call her name and she comes running into the room and wants to be petted and loved on.
Then all of a sudden she'll flop down on her side....that means that we can't pet her anymore...she wants us to put our hands down and she'll walk back and forth rubbing against our hands sort of petting herself if that makes sense.
Then instead of just walking away...even though we're not doing the petting...she'll dig her claws into us or bite.
I love her to death and I know that she'd be long gone if I hadn't snatched her that day, but I'd never put my face anywhere near her...I really believe she'd claw my eyes out given half a chance!

I can't pick her up...if I even make a move to she's off like a shot.
She's very timid and hides everytime someone comes to the house.
We've had her for four years and my Sister, BIL and Niece come here every other Sunday for dinner...they have yet to see her doing anything but hiding.

She'll groom Gracie and Lizzie, but if they try to groom her she swats them or bites them.
BUT, she loves Elliott...Gracie and Lizzie hate the site of him...poor little guy!

She's been checked by the Vet and she's healthy...she's just kind of a nasty little snot!

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I know Trout is healthy and doesn't have behavioural problems..I guess she exhibits the same attitude as some other "queen of the house" cats. I just hate that sometimes I feel like she hates my stinking guts..but then I guess I shouldn't worry because she is on my lap purring 10 minutes later

She has never broken my skin when biting, I think its usually a warning snap telling me that she is not impressed. But it happens probably once every week or two and it still hurts my feelings every time.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies..I understand now that alot of cats can be b****es and I guess I will try to take her with a grain of salt.
Your lucky it's only that often, this is a much more then once a day daily event with Jenny

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eponine is a major snugglebug, but she, too, has those moments when she'll swipe ya if you even look at her funny. That said, it's a rather infrequent occurrence. I guess since she's considered a dilute tortoiseshell, she has "dilute tortitude"????

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Until now I had never heard of "tortitude". Well, my Annie certainly has it. If I refuse to get out of bed, she will oh, so gently, uses her teeth to try and raise me up - even tries to remove my eye shade thingee! She will give me little nips when I am watching TV, trying to get me to pet her, or when she wants me to go to bed. She doesn't like being picked up, but I do so anyway, and she never sits on my lap, but she is very, very loving otherwise. However, I have to be pretty cautious not to pet her too much - or in the wrong place - because she will suddenly lunge at me with her teeth. Funny thing, she invariably misses, so it seems that she doesn't really want to hurt me. There have been a few occasions though when she has grabbed my hand with her paws and bitten me. I kiss her on the top of her head umpteen times a day and she is quite okay with that. Annie is 11 y.o. and I have had her for 3 years. She is an only cat. I didn't realise other torties had this type of behaviour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthie70

Until now I had never heard of "tortitude". Well, my Annie certainly has it. If I refuse to get out of bed, she will oh, so gently, uses her teeth to try and raise me up - even tries to remove my eye shade thingee! She will give me little nips when I am watching TV, trying to get me to pet her, or when she wants me to go to bed. She doesn't like being picked up, but I do so anyway, and she never sits on my lap, but she is very, very loving otherwise. However, I have to be pretty cautious not to pet her too much - or in the wrong place - because she will suddenly lunge at me with her teeth. Funny thing, she invariably misses, so it seems that she doesn't really want to hurt me. There have been a few occasions though when she has grabbed my hand with her paws and bitten me. I kiss her on the top of her head umpteen times a day and she is quite okay with that. Annie is 11 y.o. and I have had her for 3 years. She is an only cat. I didn't realise other torties had this type of behaviour.
That pretty much describes Trout to a tee.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My Ginger is the sweetest cat I've ever met. She has never been agressive toward me, but she'll smack Ferris around for just looking at her!
is Twoface. Sweet as can be to people, but will swat one of the other girls for even looking at her. Then licks the next one to walk by.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL That's what I"ve been told to be Tortietude! My Delilah was all lovey dovey until this fall, then she became THE biggest queen &itch. I was beginning to wonder how I was gonna put up with her nasty self. THEN she changed again, now I have my sweet adorable Delilah baby back.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was just reading over some CFA persian stuff..and this made me giggle a bit..

Temperament
It has always seemed a bit silly to claim that particular colors of Persians have distinctive personality traits, but tortoiseshells and blue-creams do seem to have a certain special attitude. They may be pansy faces, but they generally refuse to be shrinking violets or wallflowers. The typical Parti-Color has a very regal attitude and will usually manage to claim the choice pillow on the couch, or even better a place on the bed next to your head, but they will always be in the center of things when something really exciting is going on. They are generally fastidious, but may object to the attention you wish to give them until they are in the mood, at which time they can be quite demanding

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two torties and they are the sweetest thing ever..all I see is the affectionate siamese side come out when they are around humans..especially me
. They just crave human attention. I havent really witnessed negative tortiude towards humans in this household.

With other cats I notice that they are very strong characters who do not take cr*p...but then again, lots of female cats are like that!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat i really wouldn't worry about it. Rosie can have such an attitude on her at times, but i just ignore it. Take last night for instance. I took one of her treat boxes upstairs and she knew what was in my hand, so she was all over me like a rash making those trill noises
I gave her a couple and bent down to stroke her and she dropped her back and moved her head away as if to say "GET OFF ME!!!"

She gives me snuggles though and that makes up for it