At What Age Does A Kitten No Longer Need Mom's Milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a crisis going on that I posted on the feral forum but maybe it's posted to the wrong group. Sorry I'm on a tablet as my Chromebook died so I don't know if I should ask that thread to be closed or what? But this is a major problem and those of you who know me know why.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens generally begin learning to eat solid food around 4-5 weeks, although sometimes it can take longer for them to start eating (and on the other hand, some precocious kittens start eating as early as 3 weeks of age).

By about 6-7 weeks of age most kittens are eating solid food and can physically survive without mom's milk, although it's better for them to continue to get some mom's milk (or milk replacer) for a couple more weeks for extra nutrition (and they also benefit socially from remaining with mom and littermates).

Even after kittens are "completely weaned" and eating a complete diet of solid food, kittens that have mom available will usually continue to nurse occasionally as long as mom allows, often until 10-14 weeks or even longer, if mom is tolerant.

Does that answer your question?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I can copy and paste all of the other thread to here. But why would a fixed female cat just become surrogate mother to this one? I'm sorry I'm on a tablet and not sure what to do with this kitten. Many on the cat site know the situation I have with my Mom on her property with these cats. I have like a million problems here and I'm crying horribly over it. So I suppose the first question is the above, why would a fixed female cat take on the role of a surrogate mother?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats (male or female) will feel very maternal towards a kitten and they will bond. It’s a good thing when two animals bond. They keep each other company.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can be very maternal and loving. Females (intact or spayed) and even males (neutered or even intact!) will sometimes "adopt" a young kitten and act like a caring aunt or uncle. What behaviors are you noticing between the cat and kitten? Is the kitten comfort nursing on the "surrogate mom"? That is not unusual, either.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I just see the kitten staying close to Treasure and Treasure picks her up like a mother would a kitten not able to go up and down the stairs. God this can only mean one thing that Shadow has died which breaks my heart but the kitten doesn't run from me. I'm very confused

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I only saw the kitten eat once this morning. I'm really frantic the kitten may die but no one in my neighborhood helps or even wants the kitten :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Which doesn't help the situation with my Mom. I'm really scared that Shadow has expired as this kitten looks just like Shadow. But he/she doesnt run from me. Ugh I have a hard enough time hiding the adult cats from my Mom, what about the kitten?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it necessarily means that Shadow has died. Shadow may have become lost or the kitten may have become separated from Shadow and bonded with Treasure. Kittens easily bond to friendly older cats. How old is the kitten?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten looks to be 6 weeks old according to a reply in the feral forum. Treasure is about 4 or 5 years old as is Shaman (Tresure's litter mate and up til the kitten appeared Tresure's best friend.) Not so much now as they both had a serious blood and fur fight this morning over the kitten Both Shaman and Treasure are spayed btw

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten was observed eating solid food, and appears to be about 6 weeks old, it sounds like it is old enough to physically survive without mom's milk, so I wouldn't worry that the kitten will starve without its mother (as long as food and water are available).

Maybe other questions about the cats would be better in the other thread, if you've described the situation more completely there.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have asked but people are just reading and not answering any more. It's like I have a brick wall in front of me with this situation.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much experience with free-ranging feral cats, so I can't really help further, but I hope you get some advice from other posters!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen the kitten eat since 10:30 this morning which was 4 hours ago. I really am saddened by this turn of events

I'm hoping the kitten will survive long enough for me to figure this out

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you put food out twice a day the kitten should be able to survive. Do you have any friends who might be willing to adopt the kitten?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If you put food out twice a day the kitten should be able to survive. Do you have any friends who might be willing to adopt the kitten?
This is the kitten. No one wants her. Sadly. I’ve been asking for 8 hours now.

7DCEDF0E-B77D-4046-967D-C76589657279.jpeg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And someone I don't know is sending me a ton of pms on Next Door to take her but I don't know whether to trust her or not? We have had a lot of cat killings here? If it was a neighbor that came to claim her I'd be more trusting. I honestly am in tears over this.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask: how deep or shallow should the food/water bowls be?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And someone I don't know is sending me a ton of pms on Next Door to take her but I don't know whether to trust her or not? We have had a lot of cat killings here? If it was a neighbor that came to claim her I'd be more trusting. I honestly am in tears over this.
Ask if you can call their vet. If they have any responsible pet owning background, they'll have a vet, and will be fine with you calling them.

That kitten has a long tail and big ears. Definitely over 8 weeks old. They should be able to eat/drink anything the adults can.

Status
Not open for further replies.