At My Wits End...cat Needs Litter Box Retraining

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

So as my title tells you, I’m at my wits end. I really don’t understand my cat. I have two but only have an issue with one of them. She is 1 year and 4 months old. She has always had some issues in the past with peeing and pooping outside of her litter box but recently it’s gotten worse.

I have now noticed that it’s not that she hates the litter box, she appears too lazy to go to it. If she needs to pee she will just go at the spot she’s at or most convenient for her. If she happens to be around the litter box she’ll go there.

I have no idea what’s gotten into her. She’s never been like this. I think I might need to retrain her to want to go into a litter box. But I have no clue how. When I got her she was already litter box trained but now she seems to be untrained. Also when she goes she doesn’t bother covering up her pee/poop.

Help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have two cats. How many boxes do you have? Has she had any unpleasant incidents around the box? That can cause problems, as they will associate the Bad Thing with the box. But the fact that she squats and goes where ever has me wondering if something physical is going on. In this case, I'd suggest a visit to the vet to make sure that there isn't something wrong that's causing some discomfort when using the box.

I'm going to link a BUNCH of articles about boxes and problems associated with them. You may have an "AH HA" moment reading them. Best of luck, and let me know how she gets on!

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats (box issues are often stress related)
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Some of this is very "Cat 101," but an expert in another field once told me, "When in doubt, go back to the basics. You will almost always find your answer there."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have two cats. How many boxes do you have? Has she had any unpleasant incidents around the box? That can cause problems, as they will associate the Bad Thing with the box. But the fact that she squats and goes where ever has me wondering if something physical is going on. In this case, I'd suggest a visit to the vet to make sure that there isn't something wrong that's causing some discomfort when using the box.

I'm going to link a BUNCH of articles about boxes and problems associated with them. You may have an "AH HA" moment reading them. Best of luck, and let me know how she gets on!

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats (box issues are often stress related)
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Some of this is very "Cat 101," but an expert in another field once told me, "When in doubt, go back to the basics. You will almost always find your answer there."
Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out and hopefully there is something within them that will solve this. It’s just so weird. It’s like she’s not a cat or just a really lazy one. I have two litter boxes and getting a third (on it’s way). Never had issues this badly up until now where it appears she’s just super lazy. She’s never had anything bad happened around the litter boxes that I know of.

I’ve had her checked for maybe some urinary issues before (maybe a year ago) and it has come out negative. I don’t know how often I am supposed to be sending her out for checks though. She doesn’t display any issues; no discomfort signs. I am at a loss.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may have to try experimenting with various litters. Some cats will develop an aversion to a certain litter for no apparent reason. Just a thought.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may have to try experimenting with various litters. Some cats will develop an aversion to a certain litter for no apparent reason. Just a thought.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that unscented? You could try a different litter. If that doesn't work, I would get her checked for a UTI, she might need some antibiotics from the vet. What is her diet like? Is she getting enough canned food?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter you are using is really different from regular, I would go buy some cheaper regular litter and put it in one box. I really don't think she is lazy, I think she doesn't like the litter, the box, or the location. I would bet on the litter. Some cats will use a new litter for a while and then really dislike it the longer they use it. She may be so used to NOT using a box now, she may need to be confined to a smaller room until she starts using the box again. All the luck!

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The litter you are using is really different from regular, I would go buy some cheaper regular litter and put it in one box. I really don't think she is lazy, I think she doesn't like the litter, the box, or the location. I would bet on the litter. Some cats will use a new litter for a while and then really dislike it the longer they use it. She may be so used to NOT using a box now, she may need to be confined to a smaller room until she starts using the box again. All the luck!
I am trying the confining to a small room route. How long do you think I should keep her confined? Also since I started to confine her in the bathroom, she seems to be peeing and pooing in places in the bathroom she shouldn't almost out of spite because she hates being confined. Not sure if that is a thing.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she's acting out on purpose. She truly does not like (or fears) the litter box or litter you are offering. She's making her own spots.

I have to echo what di and bob di and bob say above. Try generic clay litter, clumping or non-clumping. Try a different type of litter box. Low sides, high sides, covered or uncovered -- this has to be different from the other boxes.
Once you have the "different" box, clean up the spots with enzyme cleaner. Put her poop in the box, pick her up and put her in the box before or after a meal..kind of like training a kitten.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is super funny about his litter he also won't use the box if anyone is watching him he needs his privacy lol but I believe it's a defense mechanism he doesn't want to get caught with his pants down if he were to get ambushed. I'd also take her to the vet just to make sure sometimes things only become detected with time, or possibly the issue has just reared its ugly head. If it were me I'd want to cross off anything medical before I punish her or drive myself insane trying 100 different strategies

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think she's acting out on purpose. She truly does not like (or fears) the litter box or litter you are offering. She's making her own spots.

I have to echo what di and bob di and bob say above. Try generic clay litter, clumping or non-clumping. Try a different type of litter box. Low sides, high sides, covered or uncovered -- this has to be different from the other boxes.
Once you have the "different" box, clean up the spots with enzyme cleaner. Put her poop in the box, pick her up and put her in the box before or after a meal..kind of like training a kitten.
Thanks for the advice! I will give this a try.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is super funny about his litter he also won't use the box if anyone is watching him he needs his privacy lol but I believe it's a defense mechanism he doesn't want to get caught with his pants down if he were to get ambushed. I'd also take her to the vet just to make sure sometimes things only become detected with time, or possibly the issue has just reared its ugly head. If it were me I'd want to cross off anything medical before I punish her or drive myself insane trying 100 different strategies
I had her checked for anything kidney or urine related and it's nothing there so I'm trying everything else now. That is so cute about your cat needing privacy haha.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she ever like using the Swheatscoop? I had to stop using it because Nat sneezed all the time. Wheat is hyPER-allergenic. Now I use unscented clay which comes from PetCo.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did she ever like using the Swheatscoop? I had to stop using it because Nat sneezed all the time. Wheat is hyPER-allergenic. Now I use unscented clay which comes from PetCo.
It's what she used before I got her and she always seemed fine with it. Is the unscented clay flushable?

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever tried “Cat Attract”? They make both litter and an herbal mix you can add to regular litter. It contains scents that attract the cat and somehow alert them to the fact that it’s a good bathroom :)
We used the herbal mix when we got an adult cat who wasn’t used to regular litter boxes. It worked really well.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever tried “Cat Attract”? They make both litter and an herbal mix you can add to regular litter. It contains scents that attract the cat and somehow alert them to the fact that it’s a good bathroom :)
We used the herbal mix when we got an adult cat who wasn’t used to regular litter boxes. It worked really well.
I bought a box of Cat Attract but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. My cats have never been interested in catnip so I'm not surprised.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's what she used before I got her and she always seemed fine with it. Is the unscented clay flushable?

No. In fact I wouldn't even try flushing the ones that say they're flushable. Just to be safe.

Did anything unusual or upsetting (to her) happen around the time she started going wherever?

Did she get ambushed while using the litterbox? I guess you've tried putting it in more private places already?

When Honey uses the box, she doesn't want me to look her in the eye. Actually, anytime I'm walking near or by her, in the litter box or not, she doesn't want me making eye contact. I think that's a feral thing with her, not a box aversion thing.

Last edited:

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy is not a feral far from it he's a Persian he wouldn't know what to do outside he's pampered and he knows it I think the "don't look at me in my box" could be instinctual. However if your confident it's not medical I'm afraid to say it may be a trial and error thing I'd try different litter and a totally new style of a box, I know some cats won't use the boxes with lids. Also I'd get a strong enzymatic feces cleaner and clean any spot she has had an accident on bc if her scent is there she will think that's an ok place to go. We had a long shag area run and when we got Franny he thought it was a good place to go bc he had had multiple accidents there I had to totally remove it from the house and he learned to go in the box just fine. Also if you have other cats it may be a dominance thing trying to spread her scent