At home euthanasia vs. vet's office

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I guess we can't get too excited, I just tried and it was a total disaster. I went thru 3 needles and when I thought I finally got it in and the fluids started running, she started fussing and making unhappy noises and I didn't know of maybe I accidentally went between the layers of skin - and then she just got up and bolted.I couldn't handle any more and felt so clueless. She was acting like I was hurting her.

Does anyone have success doing this alone? She is dehydrated, I can tell because she is camped in front of her water glass but doesn't want to drink.

I was so nervous and I don't know if I did something wrong or she sensed it and took advantage.

I guess its back to the vets for another try with someone there.

I'm so disappointed in this whole situation. *loser*

Last edited:

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's OK, don't beat yourself up! 

I've never given fluids before but I watched the video from Dr Kris and I KNOW it is not as easy as he makes it look. It is pretty scary, even for people who are not afraid of needles.

This was your first time trying it at home, right? If you haven't already taken her in to the vet to have them administer then definitely take a breather and just try again. I know this is something you have been concerned about for a while so it was probably so stressful for you.

Although I haven't been in this specific situation, I do know that (as with many things in life) once you do something, it starts to get easier and not so scary after the first time.  You got your first time trying to administer the fluids at home out of the way! Although you feel like it was a failure, it was actually a huge accomplishment that you should be proud of. Check it off the list and go for a second try 

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I was feeling like a terrible failure - but deep down I suppose my hopes were too high for a first time run to go spot-on. she was actually pretty good at first, but because I kept on messing up with the needles by contaminating them and having to change them... she started to get antsy and I got more flustered amd the cycle began.

I haven't given up and I'm going to try again. the tech suggested that I leave her in the bottom half of the carrier since she knows what to expect in there... but as her bolting illustrated, the sides weren't high enough for at home success. I ended up in tears and she sat with her back to me and a thrashing tail all night... lovely evening it was. Lol

Plus the being alone part was hard, there was a lot to try to maintain control of. I WILL do this, I was hoping for a better outcome the first time, but... I just wish Ihad a better "feel" for when the needle is in the right spot. I was trying to feel it thru her skin and fur, but that's when the fussing started and I couldn't feel it in there.

So. I may go back and do another vet assisted run tonight, or maybe I'll try myself again. It seemed so much easier there.

Thanks again for the vote of confidence, I'll get it - I just hope it's not too late by then. She is showing signs of possible declining.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Big hugs to you for keeping at this. I know it is VERY difficult to get it right in the beginning. We have natural tension about doing this at home, of course! And, our kitties can feel that too so it is a learning process for both. There is a lot to prepare ahead of time and once you get into a routine and know exactly how to set things up, it will go better overall. There are so many little steps involved and once you get it down pat it will second nature to you!!! :bigthumb: I think doing another test run under the vet or vet tech's watchful eye will give you more confidence. It is not easy at all doing it alone too so I give you major points for staying strong and to keep trying. It is awful when things go wrong at home with trying to give the fluids and we can't help but feel so bad BUT know we want to keep trying. Know you are at least not alone as far as support goes here. It took my SIL a few week's before she was successful at giving her cat fluids at home, on her own. I bet there are many other's too. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: You can do it !!! :soldier: ;)

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Feralvr! Everyone - you included, of course - have been so supportive. This really is probably the most user friendly (and I mean "friendly") forum I've run across on the web so far, and I participate in a handful.

I really thought I had a great setup the second attempt at home, but I have a feeling I hurt her accidentally the first time because she would let out a little cry every time I even got close to her with the needle - which she never does at the vets office. So recovering from that possible snafu might make things more challenging. someone suggested moving the flow valve closer to the end where the needle is, and that made a big difference since it was always getting "lost" in the length of hose.

Last night at the vets they were busy, so I didn't want to take any extra of their time trying to have them coach me again. I made an appt for Saturday in case we can't get this right also. I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread but I might try it in the car. She associates car rides with fluids, would be less likely to feel comfortabe bolting and I'll open my sunroof for good lighting. I think I'll drive us to the church parking lot though, just in case the "bolt" occurs... I live on a busy road and that could open a new can of worms.

Were you able to help your sis in law? Even though I'm sorry she had a hard time and it took so long, it makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not alone in this learning curve.

You know, one of the few people I'm friendly with in my neighborhood lives across the street and she is studying to be a nurse - I believe has experience with phlebotomy. She offered to help in any way... maybe Roni and I will just take a stroll across the street. While she has never sub-q'd, she has no fear of needles and experience in the healthcare field. Maybe I'll send her the link to Dr Kris' video to see what to do (she has no cats, but would probably enjoy it) and take her up on her offer. That video could explain it much better than I ever could.

I'm lacking in the self-confidence department terribly on a good day, having someone there with me would make a big difference.

Again, thanks for the "ear scratching" and positive energy everyone is giving me, it really helps very much and is most appreciated.

Edited to add: These "nurse" smileys that people are using always make me giggle :)

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's a great idea to ask your neighbor to help.  Especially since she has some experience and interest in medical issues.  

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That's a great idea to ask your neighbor to help.  Especially since she has some experience and interest in medical issues.
I think I'm going to shelve the at-home sub-qs for now, I have a feeling this might be her last week with us - maybe one more. Taking it day-by-day is turning into - ok, when is it going to be the day? That's the hardest part by far.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one day at a time approach is definitely the hardest thing to do but really the only way to live life.  If you are listening and your own thoughts are not in the way, you will know everything you need to know when you need to know it -- but probably not a moment before, which is why speculating is a huge waste of energy.  You know what things you can deal with now, and you will deal with them, mainly getting armed with information etc.  When it is time for any kind of DOing, you will be ready because you are armed with knowledge and caring and love, and you will listen to your cat's soul.  Hang in there.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I keep hearing. I'm getting one more blood test tonight to how badly her numbers have increased, but she is really declining.

I want to do ti at home, but makig tha tappointment and waiting it out will be tortourous. Part of me just thinks Ishould just make the decision stat one day whe she is already at the office. I don't know... she's the last of the kitties. can't imagine coming home to an empty house.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Making the decision stat at the office isn't a bad thing.  It's less difficult if you plan on bringing her home and burying her there.  There is healing in that act, and their soul rides beside you in the car on your way home and comforts you.  For me, the whole process is healing.  I don't think I could leave any of their bodies at the vet's office, they have to come with me.  But that's my way, you need to find your own.  My heart aches for you, but I know that in the end, you will put her needs and her comfort before your own.  <3

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I put Len down, the hardest thing for me was leaving his body at the office. I have a very small yard with rocks galore under the surface of the dirt, so I can't plan to bury her since I'm not sure I can dig a hole that deep

She got a work up last night at the vet and I had them draw some more blood, we'll see where she is at when the vet calls later, which I'm dreading. Strange because I got a "good morning!" greeting - complete with purrs - in bed this AM (which I never thought I'd see again) and she wanted to go out. But wouldn't eat anything and I tried like 7 foods. Including baby food and Nutrical, which she always loves.

So... maybe she's wrapping things up in her head and prepping to "go".

I asked the tech last night in his opinion if I was being cruel keeping her alive and he gave me a sound piece of advice. He said that since I had her since she was little, pull out old pictures of her and compare them to how she looks now. If it's not that different... well then she probably isn't that bad off. It makes it easier to make the decision, sometimes shockingly so, to see the difference. That hadn't occurred to me to do that. Both him and the vet don't think she is in pain, which is good.

Day by day. Thanks for  your words, they help a lot.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hoping you get decent numbers, relatively speaking.

You could always ask around - family or friends who wouldn't mind, who have a bit of land that you think she would like. I've had friends ask because I live on the water and have a big backyard. Unfortunately, I've always had to say no and I've always had to cremate my little ones because of the gazillion trees on one side of my yard, plus the backyard floods during the spring thaw. Can't dig anywhere without encountering roots.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good idea, but unfortunately the only family member around is my mother and she lives in a townhouse with a smaller yard than mine. I'd want to keep what was left close to me I think.

Still waiting on the vet's call, I wish she would eat - she looked better this AM than she has in the past few days.

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the vet called and her numbers all around are worse, she said she's never seen a white cell count this high on a cat before, kidneys were up too.

I asked if she was in pain and the doc said probably not, but I'm probably going to have to euthanize in the next few days before she starts to suffer. I hope I can get the weekend with her.

I'm so happy she jumped onto the bed to say good morning to me today, I thought I was never going to see that again. It used to be daily. Oh well, I'm going to go hide for a while.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, Wendy, I'm so very sorry to hear this news.  I'm thinking of you both.  

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. :hugs: At least I found something she will eat, for now. $11,99/lb London broil cold cuts. She woofed... guess someone will eat like a queen for the next few days. She deserves to be spoiled. :king:

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I snuck a little, it wasn't bad. I bought it all for her though, but she got violently sick later in the night and wouldn't eat it this AM. She nibbled a bit at the crappy fancy feast "appetizers" (that aren't fortified) this AM. Barely any went into her, but at least she showed interest and lapped at the juices and ate some meat. I'm not trying to be a snot by calling the FF crappy, it's just that they are basically wet treats in a plastic container.

I'm going to go take some work home, so I can go be with her. She's been purring and rubbing a lot lately, I think she can sense how badly I miss her affection. Sweet baby.

Talk to you later