Assimilating a stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we had our first dispute tonight. As you all know, kitties are jet-propelled out of the litter box when they've had a particularly satisfying experience.
So Molly started to run down the hall. LO perked up, followed her. I heard some Molly hissing in the hall. Molly came into the living room, jumped up on her chair. LO followed, watched, approached the chair very stealthily. Once she got there, she put her front paws up - growled low in her throat. Molly looked down at her and hissed. And hissed. And hissed. Then jumped down and yelled. LO backed right off. I sprayed some (I call it) love and peace and everything settled down. Is this normal? I didn't interfere except to gently say, "Oh come on, girls". Figuring this is them figuring out the rules. And like I said, everything quickly settled. Just looking for reassurance I guess that this is to be expected?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, to be expected!
Sometimes the victory run, as we call it, just invites a chase - some kitties just can't resist that quickly moving target, and the runner isn't always happy about being the object of the game.
We also break it up with treats or play or something if the chaser won't let it go.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with my distinguished collegue.

Furthermore, I will add, the newcomer taking her stand is in fact a rather positive. It is a sign she is now feeling safe at home.

Before she knew she must please herself in. Not so now, now she knows it is also her home, she is at last safe - and thus - may take some stand if necessary.

God job by you!

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's funny you should say that about LO feeling safe. Yesterday, my housekeeper was here for her weekly visit. Up until now, LO has promptly run under the bed and stayed there until the coast was clear. Imagine my surprise when about halfway through Marta's routine, LO comes strolling out into the chaos of vacuum cleaner and trash bags and rugs upturned and calmly sat on the 'tree' to look outside and take a snooze. I thought - wow. She's really starting to feel at home here. Yay!

Sometimes I wish I had a kitty cam so I could see how they interact at night when I'm sleeping. When I wake up they're both snoozing in their favorite places like they've been there all night and didn't move a muscle. We all know that's not true!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's awesome!

I know what you mean about wishing you could see what they're up to at night.
I'm sure they have all sorts of adventures.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: It's been 6 months since Little One's coyote attack and except for the still slightly-bent tail, you'd never know anything had happened to her. She's adjusted to indoor life beautifully - and though she and Molly are not cuddle buddies yet - they live together very well. I've noticed lately that Molly is warming up to her. Insisting on face sniffs even though LO is a bit wary. (I suspect there's been some territorial working out that I'm not privy to LOL). But all is really well. Much better than I ever thought possible. Like kismet. Thanks to all of you who were there to help out when it first happened. Your advice and guidance were a godsend - as I was pretty freaked out and flying by the seat of my pants. I knew how to have one cat. I knew how to take care of strays. I didn't know how to assimilate - but with your input and these two great cats working things out on their own - we're a little family now.