Assimilating a stray

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

Sounds like things are going great!!!!!!!!!
The fact that they basically ignored each other is fantastic. That means they're fine with each other in their space.

Can't wait to see pictures when you can share them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very successful day. LO spent her first entire afternoon in the house with the door to her room open. It started when Molly wanted to go in. I let her and after her usual track around, she settled on the bed - ON LITTLE ONE'S TOWEL. Based on comments here, I took that to be a very good sign. LO settled on the floor, and the three of us sat for about half an hour - me alternately talking to them and being quiet so they could feel each other's energy. Eventually LO left to walk around the house. Molly switched positions to the top of the couch and went to sleep. After an hour or so, LO went back inside - crawled in her hut, and went to sleep, too. They spent the rest of the day sleeping in the same room. Good, yes?

LO's back behind a closed door for the night. I don't want to get overexcited and overexpose. Still playing it by ear off Molly's signals but am greatly encouraged.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say that after Molly was on the couch and LO on the floor - LO got up and jumped on the bed to sleep on her towel - the one Molly had just been on. So their scents got nice and mixy today.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Little One really likes Molly. Here's what happened: Molly was sleeping in a basket. LO didn't disturb her, but as soon as Molly woke up, LO ran to her and they sniffed each other's faces. Molly flopped around on the floor for a while and when she got up to go to another part of the house, LO started to track her. Molly pretended not to notice she was being followed and I let them go off by themselves. Eventually LO came back where I was. Later all three of us were in my office. Molly was on a chair. LO got on her hind legs - almost as if she wanted to jump up with Molly - then thought better of it and just stayed close. Then Molly hacked up a hairball and that was that for the day!

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's interesting is in all the years LO's been living on my property, other strays have come and gone. Some she's tolerated (males), one she actively hates (female) but for the most part, she's been a loner with me as her only real attachment. It's so much fun to see her fascination with Molly.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's so cool! I think things are going great!!!!!! They might be in a big sleepy kitty pile before you know it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had been a longer period participant and moderator on a swedish cat site, till the owner quitted and the forum of course went down as she had all the keys......

There we had among other forums, a forum for Homeless, Rescue and Strays, and a forum for Residents.

It was a big pleasure and joy for me every time I could move a thread from the Rescue forum into the Resident forum.

TCS doesnt have a special forum for Residents. Otherwise I would say - the time for moving of this here thread into the Resident forum is near now... Weeks at most, perhaps only days.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stefan that really touched me. Thanks.

Things are going well. Little One seems to really want to be Molly's friend. Molly however seems a bit more ambivalent. Not hostile by any means, just... only tolerant. I don't see any effort yet on her part to progress the relationship to the next level so I'm trying to resist my urge to have Little One out all the time. Right now what I'm doing is keeping her out most of the day - then putting her back at night. That's when Molly likes to be with/on me and I don't want her to feel like our special time is being encroached upon. But of course, I feel guilty about leaving LO in her room and would love to have her out with us. On the other hand, it wouldn't do us any good to have Molly get resentful and set the whole process back - so this is what I'm struggling with. I guess I should continue to trust my instincts about what Molly's feeling and not impose my desires on the situation... yes? Any suggestions are welcome.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think just making sure Molly knows she is #1 and spoiling her rotten so she doesn't get jealous of Little One's time with you will help ensure it'll be ok. I understand your concern about having Little One out during Molly's one-on-time with you at this point. I'm not sure what to suggest so I'm waiting for others to chime in. I think trusting your gut is the right thing to do.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just let them both out and leave it be. Molly is your alpha, so if you can, invest in some condos that will give them vertical space. www.felinefurniture.com has some really nice furniture that would fit well in this situation. Molly will always be on the top, so you need other spaces for LO to go. If all they are doing is hissing and spitting you are well ahead of the game and they will figure it out. Putting them up each day disrupts the flow the cats are discovering and actually hurts their relationship.

Nice job and beautiful cats!

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, hissy. There really isn't any hissing/spitting at all anymore - and it was always Molly, never LO - so I'll take your advice and just let them figure it out. I do have a couple of vertical spaces. Molly's more of a couch/chair sleeper but LO seems to like a particular tree and it doesn't seem to bother Molly when she's on it. Thanks for the link. I'll explore and see what else is out there.

Thank you all SO much for chiming in on this thread. I can't tell you how helpful it's been.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One extra addition: If they are left alone at nights, it goes on usually guicker. The night is their time... And their friendship "should" ripe on quickly nighttime.

So now when your are not longer need to be afraid for violent scenes, its time for this next step.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's official. LO is now a resident. Last night was her first with free reign of the house - at Molly's insistence, by the way. LO had been out most of the night. She went back into her room to curl up so I closed the door, but Molly wasn't having it. She whined and followed me and when I opened it, she ran right in and jumped on the bed so I left them be and went to sleep. Woke up this a.m. and nothing's broken or pushed off a surface. And the two kitties were sleeping in their usual morning places - LO on the couch in her room and Molly in a bed in my office. So yay! No more closed doors!!!

Again, thanks so much for all your help and suggestions. I look at LO being so comfy inside and I'm so grateful I was able to save her.