Asking for good old board magic

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Racer will be ok, Hissy
What does it mean when a horse could be permanently lame
Can he lay down to get some of the pressure off of his foot? Is that why in the picture, his leg is extended

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy, I hope Racer recovers. You said he is a fighter, and he has you on his side. I will pray for both of you.

Tigger, Horses don't usually lay down. They sleep standing up, and spend most of the time on their feet, although they will lay down on rare occasions. I always thought that a horse laying down was really sick, almost fatally so. Horse experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

louse76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's too sad, and what a cool name for your horse! I really hope he gets better. At least you got to spend some time with the kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on how the horse lays down, and how long, will depend on if it could be fatal or not. Laying prone with his head all the way flat has the potential of crushing his insides after so long down. Laying with his legs tucked underneath him (like he was just doing a minute ago when I checked him) is better. His head stays up. Horses need to have their head elevated in order to breath correctly. I made a pillow out of some straw and a tarp in case he wants to lay down all the way, at least his head will hit this pillow and stay elevated.

Louse his registered name is RaceTheMoon his barn name is Racer.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary Anne, Racer is in my prayers. My sister has horses and I know how strong the bonds are between the horse and the person.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Racer looks like such a sweetie. I'm so sorry he's feeling so poorly.
I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today is not a good day in the neighborhood. He is wooden again and can barely move. Knowing that the stall ground (pea gravel) is doing worse for him but I can't scoop it out right now or his stall will flood (they have run in stalls) I asked him to move out for me a distance of about 40 feet. Moving was agony, I could see it in his eyes. I told him I know it hurts to move, but he needs to be out in the soft mud, where it will cushion his feet and make him a bit more comfortable. I didn't halter him or put a rope on him I just talked to him and told him how important this moving is. He finally moved off to the hay pile and began to eat.

I give him to God daily. I ask Him for guidance and ask Him to keep our bond close and not allow me to make foolish choices in the care of this magnificent beast. I am being innudated by horse experts who are telling me how they got their horses through this, or how their friends did. There is so much information coming at me right now, I want to make the wisest of choices for him. Out there with him, I am strong and patient and loving, and in the house I am a weeping fool. I hate seeing him in all this pain. He is my life and I can't imagine him not being in it. Horses can live for over 30 years- I have had him since he was 4 months old.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh I was so hoping for better news this morning MA! I didn't see you on MSN so I figured you were with Racer. Poor Racer! Can you give him something for the pain maybe? I didn't approve of pain killers until after the recent C-section with Dan. They made all the difference in the world in getting through the first week after the operation. I wonder if maybe they can help Racer through this crisis?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hissy, I am so sorry. I wish my father was still alive. He was an expert on horses, especially the legs and hooves. One thing I know is that a horse shouldn't have very much corn in their diet, as that can cause foundering. I just wish I could ask my Dad what to do in a situation like this. He would know the best way to take care of it. He made many a lame horse walk again. They even consulted my father for the horses in the movies.

I am still praying for Racer. Mostly I pray for his pain to go away.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MA,

I'm sorry to hear today is not starting out well for Racer...I hope things improve as the day goes by, that there is an answer for you in all the advice you are being sent. Please try to get a nap in, exhaustion won't help either of you

Keeping Racer in my prayers, and knowing that you will get the guidance from God that you've asked for and the strength you need,

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear the day has not started well for Racer. I hear your agony and exhaustion. Please take care of yourself, so you can continue to be strong for Racer. My prayers are with you.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy I'm very sad to hear things aren't better for Racer yet. I've been thinking about you and him. Hang in there and you know where we are if you need us.