Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

oh oh.. he is digging in box.... lets see: 
   happy dance!!  He left a 4 inch by 4 inch of soft serve poop.....cancelled the appointment for Friday!! 

now the forecast is 12-18 inches of snow in the City of Boston.. the Mayor is having a televised message now...

snow starting around 8 am...yikes...

I can now relax... 
Congrats for a soft serve poop! 
  You must be so relieved you don't have to worry about seeing the R vet Friday.  Just watch the snowflakes from out your window tomorrow and take it easy.  Curl up with a good book, brew a cup of tea, put an extra blanket/throw on Artie and you, and watch a movie.  Just sit back and relax. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh oh.. he is digging in box.... lets see: 
   happy dance!!  He left a 4 inch by 4 inch of soft serve poop.....cancelled the appointment for Friday!! 

now the forecast is 12-18 inches of snow in the City of Boston.. the Mayor is having a televised message now...

snow starting around 8 am...yikes...

I can now relax... 

Good job, Artie!

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!!  Go Artie!!!  Maybe the new food really is doing him a lot of good.  Maybe that's why he's pooping less.  I have no idea - I'm totally talking out of my butt cuz I don't know anything about any of this.  But it's a nice thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up with Artie cuddling me.. sweet boy..

Went to the litter box.. tons of pee (yesterday was a sub-q day) and a big pile of very soft poop/diarrhea.... I will take it..

There was a clean dish also... 1/4 of a large can...

He ate 1/8 of a large can for breakfast.. now in his quilt/tent, snoring!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had to wake him up to give him some meds!! He was sleeping soundly in his quilt/tent...

I also had to wake him up to be brushed.. he enjoyed it.. purred away.. and just a tiny play time with DA BEE....

He ate a total of 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can... 

I think the lactulose is helping. I cut down a bit on his dose, but I am not going to discontinue it. I gave him 1 cc this morning...and I will only give him 1/4 tsp miralax twice today, instead of 3 times..

It is trial and error...

He is back in his quilt/tent...

As far as the snow.. it seems Worcester, almost middle of state, is getting a ton of snow.. here it is not bad.. fine snow, very windy and cold.. 25 degrees with wind chill of 9 degrees.. snow should end around 8-9 pm.....

will probably be on and off here all day.. unless there is a good movie on Turner Classics..

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More poop! Anything is better than nothing. I'm so glad that he snuggly with you.  
The battle continues but you are being a great cat momma taking care of Artie. Much love from me and Meph (who is in a much, much better mood, but still has a supermodel appetite haha) 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Woke up with Artie cuddling me.. sweet boy..

Went to the litter box.. tons of pee (yesterday was a sub-q day) and a big pile of very soft poop/diarrhea.... I will take it..

There was a clean dish also... 1/4 of a large can...

He ate 1/8 of a large can for breakfast.. now in his quilt/tent, snoring!!
I shall now grip my walker very firmly and do the modified 
.  I'm afraid that 
is a bit beyond me till the prednisone kicks in!  Consider me 
ing in my heart!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job, Artie!
Now you need to have a nice firm poop or two (or three.....)
You know it makes you feel better and it makes your Mom happy.

moggielover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, Artie's story tugs at my heartstrings! What a precious kitty!

Have you considered surgery to fix his megacolon? A few case studies have been done on surgeries for resecting the dilated bowel of kitties with megacolon. Great successes have been reported, especially with cats who have megacolon and constipation.

Him having a heart murmur may make such a surgery complicated, or impossible, but you need to discuss Artie's individual risks with his vet.

Please read Buster's story, if you are more interested in the procedure!

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat...colon-casestudy-can-surgery-save-a-cat-misery

Best wishes to Artie!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, while I was getting my bedtime chores done, I noticed Artie sitting outside his bathroom. I told him to go in--to 'dig, dig, dig--diggy"... he went into his box, had to repeat my refrain a few times, but he dug to "China".... he produced a 3 1/2 by 1 inch poop!! 

Told him he was such a good boy...as I was wiping off a cling-on from him.

He woke me up so early this morning. I think he was having a nightmare. He made this horrible noise.. something I have never heard before.. I think he was reliving his horror at the "Bad hospital"....poor thing..

He did do the 'pat-pat-pat' and meow, again this morning.. his wake up call.. and when I did not get up in a judicious amount of time, he took to scratching the mattress box spring.... That, got my attention... 

He wanted the drapes open and the blinds up, so he could sun himself.. 

He had a late breakfast.. his doing, not mine...He wanted the sun.. 

Artie did not eat much last night.. we will see about this morning.. 

I gave him 2 doses of 1cc lactulose yesterday.. I am thinking that is a good dose for him..I also faxed a lot of things to the N Vet....

now to see what today brings...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you considered surgery to fix his megacolon? A few case studies have been done on surgeries for resecting the dilated bowel of kitties with megacolon. Great successes have been reported, especially with cats who have megacolon and constipation.

Him having a heart murmur may make such a surgery complicated, or impossible, but you need to discuss Artie's individual risks with his vet.

The N Vet will have to go through all of Arties records and do an exam before coming up with treatment options, including surgery if he feels that is an option. I think Artiemom said that with all of Artie's issues she doesn't want to put him through surgery. That is something she will have to talk to the N Vet about at the appointment which is currently scheduled for Feb. 21.

More poop
Go, Artie

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yesterday, while I was getting my bedtime chores done, I noticed Artie sitting outside his bathroom. I told him to go in--to 'dig, dig, dig--diggy"... he went into his box, had to repeat my refrain a few times, but he dug to "China".... he produced a 3 1/2 by 1 inch poop!! 

Told him he was such a good boy...as I was wiping off a cling-on from him.

He woke me up so early this morning. I think he was having a nightmare. He made this horrible noise.. something I have never heard before.. I think he was reliving his horror at the "Bad hospital"....poor thing..

He did do the 'pat-pat-pat' and meow, again this morning.. his wake up call.. and when I did not get up in a judicious amount of time, he took to scratching the mattress box spring.... That, got my attention... 

He wanted the drapes open and the blinds up, so he could sun himself.. 

He had a late breakfast.. his doing, not mine...He wanted the sun.. 

Artie did not eat much last night.. we will see about this morning.. 

I gave him 2 doses of 1cc lactulose yesterday.. I am thinking that is a good dose for him..I also faxed a lot of things to the N Vet....

now to see what today brings...
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ARTIE BOY!!!!!!  

Rock Out!!!!

So sorry I haven't been around much this week, life got a little crazy.  

I had wished Artie's health was more manageable at this point, but it looks like the new vets involved can set you on the right track to correct his issues.

I'm going to read up on what I've missed.  Hang in there Cindy, Artie is, xoxo  Try not to get discouraged.

Much love to you both, xoxoHope

Status
Not open for further replies.