Are your animals microchipped?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Löki is microchipped. He never goes outdoors, so it's a neither here nor there. Unfortunately, Jacob isn't microchipped. He's technically my daughter's cat, although he spent his first couple of years with us, and moved back in almost 2 years ago. He likes to door-dash. I would love to get him microchipped, but my daughter still thinks of him as her cat, so what do I put on the info? I think he and Löki would be heartbroken if she tried to take him away now, but don't really know if I could stop her. Hopefully, she will realize that he is our cat now and won't press the issue! I'm not confident on that though.
Your info would work because you can always contact your daughter if need be. I hope he stays with you too.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

My animals are not micro chipped because 4 years ago when I researched it I learned scanners were not universal. I even called local vets and animal shelters and only one had a scanner. Now if my area has gotten up to date I am not sure. My breeder is totally against it because she says she knows breeders who have had to have chips removed because the chips were not staying in place. I am not against chipping and will probably will do it sometime in the future.
I have never heard of microchips migrating and I can't imagine how they would. I really can't think of any reasons why an ethical breeder would not want microchips on their animals.

They are completely safe and the chip can sometimes be felt as a grain of rice by gently feeling the skin where it is placed. It stays in place because thin layers of connective tissue form around the biocompatible glass which encases it.

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys were just 'chipped this past Saturday. I have to say they were so brave!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my 2 cents here (or equiv. monetary amount for your country).

There are two choices when it comes to ID for pets/animals.
Tattoos, or microchips, both are permanant, both are pretty safe (there are always going to be oddball cases) and most importantly, in a world where animals are considered by lawmakers to be property, both tattoos and microchips are the only 100% proof positive ID in the event (God forbid!) someone else attempts to claim ownership of your beloved animals.
With the monetary value a lot of registered animals have, I would think that most breeders would welcome chips to help ensure that their prescious babies stay in the hands of those that love them.

If you don't want to chip, then tattoo, but please, please, please, do one or the other.
All of my pets, including my parrot, are microchipped.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My monsters were microchipped before we even brought them home -- the local Humane Society (where we adopted them from) does it before they adopt out any cats or dogs. Brilliant idea, that.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chips can migrate, but that is why any decent vet/rescue will check the cat all over, very rare for them not to be found, and they dont need to be removed because of it - the reason they are done on the neck is that there is like an empty pouch there, and that is where they are placed, so if they aren't staying in place, they could be being inserted wrong!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Chips can migrate, but that is why any decent vet/rescue will check the cat all over, very rare for them not to be found, and they dont need to be removed because of it - the reason they are done on the neck is that there is like an empty pouch there, and that is where they are placed, so if they aren't staying in place, they could be being inserted wrong!!
I have to agree with this. I work at our local shelter and microchip all day long
It is normal for a chip to move around the body a little bit- usually only an inch or two over from where it origionated...keep in mind your animal is active and is constantly moving it's muscles/etc so that is completly normal! The reason you scan your animal immediately after chipping is to make sure the chip took and did not fall out of the needle when it was removed. (This is why ALL good techs/vets pinch the skin together around the needle when removing it
) I personally chip ALL animals between the shoulder blade area. The chip migrates less in that area and is easier to insert into the tissue. When I check an animal that comes into the shelter for a chip with the scanner- i DO check the entire body just incase in the rare even a chip has migrated. It is rare for a chip to migrate into an entirely different region of the body, but not impossible. Any good shelter/vets office will check the entire body upon arrival of a new pet to check for a chip. Along with microchipping at our shelter- we do spay/neuter tattoos on ALL of our animals as well
Each shelter in the area uses a different color dye. My shelter, Bartlett uses at teal green, the memphis shelter uses a blue dye and so on- it helps us know what shelter did what to which animal and we can simply call and check files
Many vets in the area have also picked up the same practice- it's great!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
All mine are chipped

Originally Posted by booktigger

Yeah,I agree there was one case of one being located in the foot of a dog

Most newer microchips are fitted with an anti-migration cap now,but it's still wise
to scan allover for older chips.

and most new ones are ISO approved,so it's best to make sure with your vet that
they meet the standards of ISO

Desley are you still interested in going on a micro-chipping/re-homing course?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was one on the UK forum recently where the vet put it in the back leg of the cat - I hope that ends up in places where they check the full body!!

Erm, yeah - I was told they were £500 though.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was actually a local petshop, who does chipping. But the price she pays for the chips is different from what a CP contact says they pay.

Thanks for that, it would be nice.