Are your animals microchipped?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I wonder, though, if I move to an area where HomeAgain chips are primarily used, will I be able to chip them again???
The current chip should be able to be read by a universal reader. Apparently the Home Again chip can be read by any reader, and when we move back to Australia, the Australian chip reader's should be able to detect it as well.

I remember not too long ago, one of the chipping companies was trying to change the design of the chip so it could ONLY be read by their special readers - which meant all vets and shelters would HAVE to purchase their reader, but the Office of Fair Trade (or whatever it's called in the US), said it wasn't allowed, so they didn't do it.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, they are not, I do not believe in 'chipping'. I would not want it done to me, and, if there ever came a time that I would have to get 'chipped', I would rather die first.

DDCATS

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine arn't at the moment but i live in a flat so they dont get let out hence my living room looks like a giant cat gym!!! but as soon as i move in to a place with a garden i will get them both done for sure!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Avid chip scans on the avid and home-again scanner! When I adopted my kitten and brought her to the vet, I told the vet she was supposedly micro-chipped! She asked me which company chip she had and I was unaware, she scanned and told me AVID... because AVID will scan on both scanners (AVID and Home Again)! Its a little confusing because Home Again is also a big company, somehow she narrowed it down to AVID!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my current ones are chipped and collared. I know people who have only got their cats back because of it - and some have been months/years. I do like the idea of tattooing though, it is too easy for people who dont konw about it to take them home, but my vets have introduced a system where every new pet registered has to be scanned, or they wont accept you as a client.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

No, they are not, I do not believe in 'chipping'. I would not want it done to me, and, if there ever came a time that I would have to get 'chipped', I would rather die first.

DDCATS
May I ask why??? It's easy to insert, and increases the chance of them being returned. Hurricane Katrina proved this. Most of the chipped animals got reunited with their owners, whereas the nonchipped ones had no identification and no chance.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sarahp-in reply to your question:

I know there are many benefits to 'chipping', but, maybe I watched too much sci-fi when young;it just seems invasive. Seems like everything is becoming electronic in some way or another. Humanity is becoming unhuman and more robotic. Everybody is plugged in, including me! Plugged into video games, phones, computer, television. Did you see Stephen King's Lawnmower Man?

DDCATS

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My animals are not micro chipped because 4 years ago when I researched it I learned scanners were not universal. I even called local vets and animal shelters and only one had a scanner. Now if my area has gotten up to date I am not sure. My breeder is totally against it because she says she knows breeders who have had to have chips removed because the chips were not staying in place. I am not against chipping and will probably will do it sometime in the future.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
both mine are chipped with 24hrpetwatch.com, it cost $12-$15, and there was no registration fee with 24hr petwatch.... I can go online & update any & all info, report them missing etc....

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said "other" only because only Oliver is chipped. He tries to get outside every once in a while. Tripod was found as a kitten and he has no desire whatsoever to go back into the outside world.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There's a short article about pet identification in the April issue of Cat Fancy. A study conducted in part by the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine revealed that 71% of lost dogs were found, but only 53% of lost cats, and said that cats are more difficult to find, because few cat owners use identification.

Please don't believe that because your cat is indoor only, he or she doesn't require identification. Cats can and do get out. One recent Christmas Eve, an apartment building near us caught on fire, and was evacuated. Several cats escaped the fire, as fire fighters cleared all apartments in the building, but not all of them were recovered. Those that were found and returned either had identification, or were indoor/outdoor and lucky enough to be recognized by neighbors and taken in until residents could return to their building.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DDcats - chipping is nothing like the things you see on SciFi films, it is just a very small chip that enables cats to be reunited, from a rescue point of view, I wish it were mandatory, we get so many in that look as though they have been looked after, but with no collar, no chip and no missing pet poster, we have no chance of reuniting them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have to add that no anesthesia is required for chipping. I do "vet runs" for our local shelter, and have seen a minimum of 100 cats "chipped" - they don't even flinch.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Löki is microchipped. He never goes outdoors, so it's a neither here nor there. Unfortunately, Jacob isn't microchipped. He's technically my daughter's cat, although he spent his first couple of years with us, and moved back in almost 2 years ago. He likes to door-dash. I would love to get him microchipped, but my daughter still thinks of him as her cat, so what do I put on the info? I think he and Löki would be heartbroken if she tried to take him away now, but don't really know if I could stop her. Hopefully, she will realize that he is our cat now and won't press the issue! I'm not confident on that though.