Are you home?

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was born in Illinois and then we moved to Texas when I was about 2 months old and then from Texas to Cali when I was 5. I do concerder cali my home because I was there for the longest part of my life. No I am not home I am in WA now. I miss the wather, my friends, and my parents (sometimes). I do like how green it is here, but I hate how cold it is!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No - born and raised in Maryland. Now live in Minnesota. DH says when I survived 2 winters in Minnesota, I could be an official Minnesotian...so that's what I am now

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm aabout 100 miles from where I grew up in Central WI. We had a nice view of Rib Mountain which I believe is the highest elevation in WI. At nights in the winter the ski hill trails are all lit up. Plus we lived really close to a smaller and larger river and and two large man made lakes for swimming. But its much more developed and much more traffic in the area that our house was. Don't miss that!!

The only thing I miss here is a close body of water for swimming etc... When I mean close it has to be 5-10 minutes away. The creek close buy-icky!! The bay of Green Bay isn't all that far but not the same thing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail, just curious but have you ever visited House of the Rocks? We did on vacation - fasinating place. Reason I ask is that many times people don't take the time to visit good places in their state......they go out of state and visit something else

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was born in the Niagara Region, Ontario. Moved to a tiny town with 1300 people when I was 2... lived in that area until I was 18. Then moved back to the Niagara Region. Now live on Lake Huron. So no.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am home. Seriously. I still live with the parental units. Only thing that's changed is I grew up in a dumpy tiny house, we built a new one when I was in 6th grade across the driveway from the old house. So we not live in the new house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I HAVE heard that nearly 50% of all Americans have never been more than 100 miles from where they were born. Hard to believe, these days.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm home.
(and very glad to be!) I was born and raised in Memphis and right now I literally live just about 5 minutes up the road from Memphis, here in Bartlett, TN- it's a lovely city...but has less crime and all than Memphis does....but it's only about 5 minutes away from Memphis so i'm still super close to everything I could possibly want.

DH is origionally from Mobile, Alabama....so he's a transplant.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was born and raised in Montreal, left the family home when I was 26 and moved to Vancouver. While Montreal will always be my "home town", Vancouver was immediately "home", and I can't imagine living anywhere else. However, the answer to the question as posed is no.

What do I miss most? Aside from people, of whom there's really only my brother and SIL now, what I miss most is a fleeting few hours every spring -- the mild sunny day, when for the first time you can smell the mud, smell the earth coming back to life. It's not even a particularly pleasant smell, but it is for me the smell of returning life, and I miss it every year. Spring is my favourite season, and that's the one thing missing from it here.

What I don't miss is the winter that froze the earth to the point that it had that kind of waking up to do -- and the humidity in summer.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Gail, just curious but have you ever visited House of the Rocks? We did on vacation - fasinating place. Reason I ask is that many times people don't take the time to visit good places in their state......they go out of state and visit something else
Don't you mean House on the Rock? Descriptions of the place certainly make it sound interesting. If I ever make my way up to Michigan to visit my mom (if I can ever afford the time and gas...) I wouldn't mind going through Wisconsin again, with some side trips.

I was born in El Reno Oklahoma, but raised a couple towns away from where I live now. The town I grew up in is small - around 1300 people, because of this everyone knows everyone else's business and think it's theirs to butt in and gossip. My dad still lives there as does DH's grandmother, so we still go to visit family. Every time we go over there's another building downtown that looks to be falling apart or is being torn down - the town looks like it's almost in a state of decay...
So no, I don't miss it.

The town I live in now has around 8,900 people. Large enough that people mostly mind their own business but still feels like a town instead of a city.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I HAVE heard that nearly 50% of all Americans have never been more than 100 miles from where they were born. Hard to believe, these days.
I've lived in the UP, that's quite a ways from Oklahoma.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not at "home". I live in Texas now, but am from Wisconsin.

What I miss most about being home is my son & granddaughter.
What I don't miss is all that snow & cold!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, i was born in about 10 miles from here, Many here already know why i came back to ohio. not a real fan of being here, All but 2 of my friends are gone from here.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m only a 2 hour train ride from where I grew up but I don`t really miss anything. Infact I would hate to go back and live there

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live about 10 minutes away from where I grew up, my mum still lives in that same house. I went away to Canada for 5 years and I'm so glad to be back home again.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I live in the armpit of the South, Jacksonville. NC. It is a crummy place, and I hate it. We are barely scraping by, and it was a money spot for tattooers when we came here the first time. If we can get the money together, we are discussing going to go back to Augusta, GA-North Augusta, SC area. My daughter, granddaughter, and all our best friends are there.
We really wanted to go to Austin, TX, but that is looking out of reach.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived all over the place, but where I spent the majority of time growing up was Alpena, Michigan and that is where I consider home. I'm currently in Detroit, almost 300 miles away. I love my hometown, and I end up spending a few months a year there still. Fortunately DH is from Alpena as well. It's small, lots of lakes and rivers, countryside, snow, trees, and has the "everybody knows everybody" type vibe. I hated it growing up there, of course, because there was "nothing to do". Now, I go home every change I get. I drive all the way up there to go to the vet, get my hair done, etc. The problem is there are NO jobs there (it was previously a factory town, 2 of which closed completely, the other 2 half less than half the employees they did 10-15 years ago) so we will probably never live there again. We'll probably be moving to Asheville, NC in a couple of years. We're looking forward to the mountains.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in the same state my entire life. But have been in about 5 houses. I was a toddler when we moved to our longtime home, so i call that my first home. We were there 19 years. I miss knowing every lump and bump of the backyard, being able to walk out there at midnight to look at the stars, knowing i'm safe, having all our outdoor kitties huddle around me. I miss how much work we put into the front yard covering it in mulch, old logs, tree ferns (we went and had a look at it a few months after we moved, and they scraped every inch of it off and turned it into a blank canvas). I miss the small vegetable garden we put up (even though we have a huge ready made one here). I miss that we had many kitties buried there, all the ones i grew up with. The only thing i miss from the house we were in for 19 months was that e had to leave Jasmine behind. I do like this house, and i think we'll be in it a long time, but nothing is quite the same as where you grew up. I do miss having multiple kitties. While i love Cleo and Timmy when i visit Tristans home, and i absolutely love my Charlie, i miss having a whole bunch of them to play with, having them outdoors with their freedom. So much has changed =(

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born in Washington (state) and just moved to Maine about 10 months ago. In WA my house burned down when I was 9 and my mom says it damaged me (emotionally) so anyhow, I dont feel like anywhere I've ever been has been "home". The only thing I miss about the place I lived in WA (after being there for 16 years) is our Italian plum tree that produced like crazy. I dont really miss anything, especially the heat.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still in my home state; but I am four hours south of where I was born and grew up...

I miss the fact that I had 'room to roam' as I grew up in the country...I don't like the city life, in the least...If I could, I would move back home in a heartbeat...