Are You Feral Or Not??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missasilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rubysmama, Mrs Boo is such a strange cat. She really does not react to the smells because I've had cats temporarily shut in that room before, but the second she visually sees any other cat she goes absolutely nuts!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah you're right. I really wish Mrs Boo would be okay with other cats because I would totally keep beaker forever. But I should look on the bright side that she only gets super agitated by seeing other cats, not by smells!
TIME, love and patience are key in introducing any new cat to your family. Cat behaviorists including Jackson Galaxy, host of "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet tv, writer, businessman, and producer of a lot of helpful videos on YouTube, and Pam Johnson-Bennett, writer of several excellent books including CAT vs. CAT, may be helpful to look at. Our next to most recent member of the family, who had been an "only cat" for 14 years and was found on the streets as a kitten by his first family, came into our large cat family and went into his own room for a couple of weeks, which is what experts suggest. He had his own litterbox, food and water, bed and toys, and scratching pad -- something very important that every cat needs, and they're very affordable -- and I would visit him frequently. Gradually, we had smell-swapping with a Tshirt I would rub on each cat, and introductions through a cracked-open door. Little by little, he became part of the "general population", but he was always trying to dominate our dominant male, Calo. After about a year, though, they made peace and the 3 male cats would often curl up together in Sammi's room, which I called the "Boys' Club" because of this. He spent 7 wonderful years with us, living to 21. There were times when I was exasperated and thought there would never be complete peace, but I never gave up. Adoption is for life here. I hope it works out for beautiful Mrs. Boo and Beaker to share a wonderful life with you!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Hi, first of all you are a fantastic and wonderful person for taking such good care of this poor little kitty and all the ones you have TNR'd. Maybe if Mrs Boo keeps scenting her she will not freak out. Did you try the room swap, if so how did it go? Try introducing one person at a time and have them just sit talking to you and ignoring Beaker, maybe have a yummy treat she likes on hand & casually drop one or two at a time. As to the hissing fit, something outside may have triggered a bad memory. When she was a stray we first spotted Gypsy jumping out of our apt dumpster and I think she may have been in a dumpster at one time when the garbage guys started the lift cause at first she use to freak out and run to another room when she would hear the noise of the lift start outside. We would always talk calmly to her and give her a treat, never trying to restrain or grab her and now she just watches them from our 2nd story window. Fireworks scare her so bad that she actually hid underneath the loveseat for the very first time since she allowed us to open our home to her and become her faithful minions. The idiots in our neighborhood who were shooting them off live right across the alley from the old garage she once lived in. It has holes in the roof so she not only was very close to the sound but also probably terrified by the sight of them overhead. Gypsy turned her nose up at the baby food but loves Temptations cat treats. For now try putting a thicker cloth under her paws when she kneads on you, we used old pot holdholders. At first we used to leave the tv on for her when we left her at home alone. Starting massaging the paws now is a great start for future clipping, we wait until Gypsy is what Scott calls 'a pool of butter ' before trimming. There are some great threads where you should post some pictures of your gorgeous two girls, here are a few:
Picture Of Cats Yawning. Tender moments. Show me the eyes. Post your sleeping beauties!!!, and Show Me Your Belly !!!. Hope to see you there. Take care, stay patient and keep us updated:catrub:

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Hi, first of all you are a fantastic and wonderful person for taking such good care of this poor little kitty and all the ones you have TNR'd. Maybe if Mrs Boo keeps scenting her she will not freak out. Did you try the room swap, if so how did it go? Try introducing one person at a time and have them just sit talking to you and ignoring Beaker, maybe have a yummy treat she likes on hand & casually drop one or two at a time. As to the hissing fit, something outside may have triggered a bad memory. When she was a stray we first spotted Gypsy jumping out of our apt dumpster and I think she may have been in a dumpster at one time when the garbage guys started the lift cause at first she use to freak out and run to another room when she would hear the noise of the lift start outside. We would always talk calmly to her and give her a treat, never trying to restrain or grab her and now she just watches them from our 2nd story window. Fireworks scare her so bad that she actually hid underneath the loveseat for the very first time since she allowed us to open our home to her and become her faithful minions. The idiots in our neighborhood who were shooting them off live right across the alley from the old garage she once lived in. It has holes in the roof so she not only was very close to the sound but also probably terrified by the sight of them overhead. Gypsy turned her nose up at the baby food but loves Temptations cat treats. For now try putting a thicker cloth under her paws when she kneads on you, we used old pot holdholders. At first we used to leave the tv on for her when we left her at home alone. Starting massaging the paws now is a great start for future clipping, we wait until Gypsy is what Scott calls 'a pool of butter ' before trimming. There are some great threads where you should post some pictures of your gorgeous two girls, here are a few:
Picture Of Cats Yawning. Tender moments. Show me the eyes. Post your sleeping beauties!!!, and Show Me Your Belly !!!. Hope to see you there. Take care, stay patient and keep us updated:catrub:
That's a great idea about the potholders. I have "cat blankets" all over the house for the same purpose -- smallish, very washable fleece throws, like what you get on an airplane if you rate it (!), that are very thick and soft.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea about the potholders. I have "cat blankets" all over the house for the same purpose -- smallish, very washable fleece throws, like what you get on an airplane if you rate it (!), that are very thick and soft.
After using the potholders for awhile, when she would knead I started putting my fingertips under her claws and my thumb on the top of her paw and very gently massage, kinda like holding hands/ paws. She has gotten so gentle now that she stills kneads on us but she barely touches with her claws. She is so smart and so gentle.:redheartpump::hearthrob::hugs::catrub:

Last edited:

missasilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pot holders are a great idea! She was more lovey than usual this evening so I feel bad when she tries to express that via kneading and I'm like no thanks, that hurts haha. But she definitely let me pet her head and cheeks longer than normal, accompanied by some loud purring. I am definitely going to try the pot holders. There is still a part of me that feels frustrated (can't you be a normal cat??) but I also feel like in the past few days we've turned a corner and she clearly trusts me more. All this progress in less than 3 weeks. Imagine what she'll be like in another 3 weeks??
I haven't even tried to introduce the 2 cats since my cat Mrs Boo has always reacted so violently to other cats in her 17 years of life. Beaker hasn't shown any signs of wanting to venture outside her safe little bedroom yet so I figure there's no point in even trying to make anything happen while she's still cozy in here.
IMG_5197.JPG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF you ever decide to adopt her out, you must be sure the permanent owner is ready to do some socializing and fostering in the beginning. Till she attaches to this new owner too. She will probably always remain more or less shy to visitors. I myself dont see it necessarily as a drawback. As long as I know abou it...

But she will become more and more attached to you, her owner / and the theoretical future owner too!

Time, love and patience works miracles. :)

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pot holders are a great idea! She was more lovey than usual this evening so I feel bad when she tries to express that via kneading and I'm like no thanks, that hurts haha. But she definitely let me pet her head and cheeks longer than normal, accompanied by some loud purring. I am definitely going to try the pot holders. There is still a part of me that feels frustrated (can't you be a normal cat??) but I also feel like in the past few days we've turned a corner and she clearly trusts me more. All this progress in less than 3 weeks. Imagine what she'll be like in another 3 weeks??
I haven't even tried to introduce the 2 cats since my cat Mrs Boo has always reacted so violently to other cats in her 17 years of life. Beaker hasn't shown any signs of wanting to venture outside her safe little bedroom yet so I figure there's no point in even trying to make anything happen while she's still cozy in here.
View attachment 192783
She looks SO happy there on her cat furniture! and she's so pretty. I do hope it works out that you adopt her!

missasilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness you guys.
This morning I went in Beaker's bedroom with breakfast, like I've done every day for the past 18 days since she officially became my #fakeferal. This morning instead of making a beeline for her food like she always does, she made a beeline for ME. The past couple days she has been braver and braver in terms of coming up to me and sniffing me. Today she grabbed my arm with her paws, pulled my hand to her, and smashed her head up against my hand!! That's right, today was the very first time SHE initiated being pet. Bestill my heart!!
I thought maybe this would be an erratic thing at first but not so far, all day she has wanted nothing more to be pet. It's amazing, I can't believe she just up and decided today was the day! She can't get enough snuggles :)
The downside persists.... she loves to grab my arm to pet her and knead my arm. Both surely signs of affection, I get it, but guys I don't know how much longer I can take these claws!!
IMG_5203.JPG

missasilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IF you ever decide to adopt her out, you must be sure the permanent owner is ready to do some socializing and fostering in the beginning. Till she attaches to this new owner too. She will probably always remain more or less shy to visitors. I myself dont see it necessarily as a drawback. As long as I know abou it...

But she will become more and more attached to you, her owner / and the theoretical future owner too!

Time, love and patience works miracles. :)
Thanks stefanz, I have a feeling that even in the perfect home she will revert to her day one behavior and her forever home will have to work with her as diligently as I am. I'm hopeful that it will go faster though since she will know at least one human has shown her kindness! But it does limit who can adopt her, that's for sure.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness you guys.
This morning I went in Beaker's bedroom with breakfast, like I've done every day for the past 18 days since she officially became my #fakeferal. This morning instead of making a beeline for her food like she always does, she made a beeline for ME. The past couple days she has been braver and braver in terms of coming up to me and sniffing me. Today she grabbed my arm with her paws, pulled my hand to her, and smashed her head up against my hand!! That's right, today was the very first time SHE initiated being pet. Bestill my heart!!
I thought maybe this would be an erratic thing at first but not so far, all day she has wanted nothing more to be pet. It's amazing, I can't believe she just up and decided today was the day! She can't get enough snuggles :)
The downside persists.... she loves to grab my arm to pet her and knead my arm. Both surely signs of affection, I get it, but guys I don't know how much longer I can take these claws!!
View attachment 192955
That was my arm for first 6 months of having my kitten ! With her though it sure wasn't affection or kneading !!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, my, you poor chicken! Have thought about wearing something like long mittens? That lets your fingers free and offers some protection against those claws. Have you already started showing her the scisors?
On the other hand, I am glad to hear she is becoming more and more affectionate with you. Her behaviour (and her looks) reminds me of my Alice, the bengal cross I found near my home. She was really effusive showing me her love, but also very agressive during the first year, a scary combo.
Just a quick note here, and I don't want to scare you, but I have read about some "wilder" bengals that bound so strongly to their human that cannot be relocated with another family. They refuse eating and can let themselves die if put appart from their chosen human for long, so be ready to take her back if she does not accept her new family :(

missasilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, my, you poor chicken! Have thought about wearing something like long mittens? That lets your fingers free and offers some protection against those claws. Have you already started showing her the scisors?
On the other hand, I am glad to hear she is becoming more and more affectionate with you. Her behaviour (and her looks) reminds me of my Alice, the bengal cross I found near my home. She was really effusive showing me her love, but also very agressive during the first year, a scary combo.
Just a quick note here, and I don't want to scare you, but I have read about some "wilder" bengals that bound so strongly to their human that cannot be relocated with another family. They refuse eating and can let themselves die if put appart from their chosen human for long, so be ready to take her back if she does not accept her new family :(
Hmmmm you are the second person to think she might have some bengal in her! I've been massaging her paws so she gets used to that, perhaps today I'll try introducing the clippers but not actually clipping yet and see how that goes. I hope I can find her a new family she will accept, otherwise I'm in for a lifetime of keeping 2 cats separated which is not ideal! She hasn't shown interest in wanting to venture out of the bedroom yet but when she does, that's when things will get complicated.