Are you a Rebel or Yankee?

miamispartan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
45% Dixie...Makes sense. I got a lot of the Western Great Lakes influence still, since I grew up in Chicago...Been living in the South since 88...

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
31% Dixie. I am a Yankee.

The weird thing is that a lot of my answers were for the New England area and/or the Great Lakes, specifically, and I've never been to either. Go figure.

It's crawdad, though I will say "crayfish" if I'm talking about a pretty one I want for my aquarium.
And it's pop. Soda is something made with ice cream and ... well, pop.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
85% Yankee! And the queastion about the sandwich I picked Italian sandwich and its called that just in maine! That suprisedme as I do live in maine. iIthought everyone called them a Italian sandwich

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprise to know that Po Boy sandwiched are from the deep south? My dad calls them po boys and he is from Norther Indiana!! LOL

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
46% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom. I was born and raised in Florida, but my family is all from tiny podunk towns in Western NY so it makes sense for me to be a total mix!

And about the drive thru liquor stores: For those of you imagining that you pull through and grab a beer or some mixed drink or something it's not like that at all. There's lots of them in Tallahassee near FSU and what you actually do is pull through and buy your 24 packs, kegs, and anything else in bottles. They're very popular in areas where there's lots of partying. But don't worry, the intent is not to drink it in the car!

What's funny is that y'all will probably become proper english in due time. The English language is always changing or else we'd all still be saying thee and thou and since y'all is actually a contraction (and mind you, all contractions were improper English at some point until we decided to officially add them to the English language) it will more than likely end up being a proper substitute for you all just like don't is correct for do not and on and on and on...

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did wonder about the drive thru liquor stores. I didn't know they existed!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
55% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

I spent the first 23 years of my life in the Northeast USA and the last 23 years in Florida, so it makes sense. I see several things that I would have answered differently years ago.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
38% dixie of course. Living in NE Wisconsin I am close to a whole nother subculture called the Yoopers. (This is the slang for the residents for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan)!!!You know U.P = Yoopers!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
29% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Which is pretty funny seeing that I was born and bred in Canada!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a non-native English speaker: 52% Dixie. Barely in Dixie
I didn't realise how southern the pronounciation in eg. movies is. To be frank, normally I speak trad. Oxford English.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm...
I had no idea that drive-thrus weren't everywhere. There were two within walking distance of my house growing up, one about 5 mins from the next place I lived that closed because a new gas station went up across the street, and there's one within walking distance here and another a few minutes away.
The first one was called a carry-out, though. Now there's one across the street from my parents new apt. I bet there's about one for every ten gas stations everywhere I've ever lived (all in Ohio).
They are kind of notorious for not being as strict about carding. Like, if you go in a store with someone, they often card both of you here, but the drive-thru just asks for one ID, and it doesn't have to be the driver. And no, the intention isn't to drink it while you're driving, its so you can pick something up on your way to a party or on the way home, etc. They're often open later than gas stations too!

You make a good point about y'all, katspixiedust. English lacks a plural "you" which most languages have. "You" actually used to be the plural form.

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

And about the drive thru liquor stores: For those of you imagining that you pull through and grab a beer or some mixed drink or something it's not like that at all. There's lots of them in Tallahassee near FSU and what you actually do is pull through and buy your 24 packs, kegs, and anything else in bottles. They're very popular in areas where there's lots of partying. But don't worry, the intent is not to drink it in the car!
We used to have a place not across the street from the bar i used to go to called daquori(sp) express where you actually could drive up and order any kind of mixed drink (as long as it was a daquori)

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
60% Dixie.. I blame this on Louisiana. They say thangs funny down there. I say aunt like want, but can't like Caint, and po'boys, but it sounds like po'boais
And it's a Sammich, and a bun, not a roll, I pronounce the word soda like this "Coke"... there's more I'm sure, but what can you do.