Are my new kitten and slightly older kitten on the track to friendship?

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 9-month old kitten and wanted to get her a companion before it would be even more difficult...spayed, adopted at around 3 months old. She can be a bit..wired...and is not super affectionate, but does snuggle at night and will allow a few chin scritches. And she certainly wants to be wherever you are. Despite our efforts to train her, she has no gauge on what is "too hard" and when she gets excited will scratch or bite indiscriminately.

We adopted a 4-month old male, neutered kitten who looks very Maine Coon-ish and will probably grow up to be a big boy. He is VERY laid-back and loves belly rubs. I thought (perhaps rightly, perhaps wrongly) that he would be a good counterpoint to my girl kitten.

He's been here for almost two weeks, and aside from an initial introduction gone wrong (I listened to my mother's advice to just let him out with her, despite stacks of experts saying this was exactly the wrong thing to do!) where she stalked him around and then he snuck up and pounced on her, and she hissed in response - great first impression - it's been going sort of ok.

We have a large apartment, but the floor plan is very open. The only rooms that can be closed off are the bedroom and the bathroom. Since my girl kitten always sleeps with us at night, we were reluctant to put him in there, but after he cried all night alone in the bathroom I decided there wasn't a choice. Girl kitten's nose was out of joint for a little, but I or my husband have been sleeping out in the living room with her and she snuggles up there with one of us (which is fine by me since then he doesn't wake me when he gets up for work at 3:30 am!). We also got two Feliway diffusers to cover the apartment and it seems to be mellowing out girl kitten, who actually licked and rubbed against my hand the other day. She is never that affectionate!

I have been feeding them opposite the door and we are now at the point where I can crack the door several inches and they eat with no hissing or ears back. He, of course, didn't care to begin with, but it's a step for her.

He has already on a couple occasions bolted from the bedroom and run up to her, and she has spent several seconds sniffing him before I can scoop him up without hissing. I have been doing "smell exchange" with a cloth rubbed on his cheeks and chin and then on her, and under her food bowl.

Today, they were playing "paws," I guess, tapping at each other through the crack. At one point girl kitten rolled onto her back and then was putting her paw through the crack and batting. No hissing at all until I think he got her pretty good and she didn't like that. Is this a good sign? Any advice on the "next step?" When to take it? Was that posturing bad? He is literally 1/3 of her weight so I don't want to have her beating up on him all of the time, especially since she does not hold back at all.

Also any advice on clipping the claws of girl kitten would be lovely...forget scratching, she will BITE if you touch her paws. I only manage to clip a few while she's sleeping, but she is so hypersensitive I usually only get two in at a time if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like you're doing pretty well... Did you read through this? The towel idea often gets good results: 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

As for the nail thing, I've been so lucky with my cats.  If I have had them from kittens I get them really used to it at an early age.  If they're older, I just do a couple at a time if they're not happy about it.  I also use distractions.  I had a cat that was intrigued with my tongue, so I would poke it in and out while trimming and she was so focused on it I got away with doing them all..

Some people swaddle their cats in a towel to do it, just bringing out one paw at a time, but I really prefer the distraction (toy etc) and treats methods.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissing will not necessarily lead to a cat fight. Your boy seems friendly and fearless. Your girl is still not sure about him but she is on the way to "liking" him. No need to panic and separate them every time they get close to each other. 

As for clipping the nails, I found this link http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/nail-trimming-101. It will take time and patience but never give up! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hissing will not necessarily lead to a cat fight. Your boy seems friendly and fearless. Your girl is still not sure about him but she is on the way to "liking" him. No need to panic and separate them every time they get close to each other. 

As for clipping the nails, I found this link http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/nail-trimming-101. It will take time and patience but never give up! 

Yes, I'd forgotten about the 'make friends with the paw' bit. 

Good article.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey OrangeBlossom, they sound like they are going really well!  One thing I did in the intro process was site swapping - we didn't have many closable doors either, but you only need one!  Put your big cat in a closed room after you've done something lovely with her and she's ready for a sleep, then let little one explore some other part of the house.  You'll gradually cover the whole house with the new kitten scent (my big boy was SO perplexed and sniffed everywhere!!).  

It really sounds like you are ready for a controlled meet.  You can either cage big cat and bring her into little cat's room, or let her in without the cage.  Helps with another pair of hands, but I did it solo with absolutely no dramas.  With their behaviour as you describe, I don't see any dramas happening - the guiding rule I went with was 'when curiosity is the predominant emotion (not fear or aggression), then its time for a meet'.  Keep the door of the room open - big cat is free to go whenever she has had enough.  If there is a hiss, you can gently close that session with lots of praise and treats!  And don't be worried about a hiss, this is normal cat boundary establishment communication (it's part of the process).  You can also have a cat tunnel or something in the room so there are hiding places if anyone is nervous.  Then let them both decompress...and schedule the next meet.  

You'll have them together in no time (most kittens and young cats are quicker than adults)

Re the nail trimming, that article is great.  And again, don't worry about only getting a nail done per day (lol!).  It takes time, and it will get quicker.  I use lots of treats and after 2 years, we zoom through the whole lot of nails in a couple minutes...the beauty of it is, our new kitten thought she was missing out when she saw big boy get his nails done, and was super anxious to have her turn!!  She was easy!!  One other tip, choose good nail clippers.  I've tried a few, the best IMO are the guillotine type (no crushing, easy to use).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha, I decided today that since they were basically eating across from each other comfortably and my new boy kept bolting from the bedroom...that I'd just let him out. My girl did some serious sniffing...and they've been playing ever since! Ears forward, scampering, with her flopping down to take a break here and there. Serious panting...I think she's out of shape!

I was so worried. I think the second Feliway I recently installed helped, and I think I'll keep him in the bedroom a few more days, but wow!

With regard to nails, I ended up making a kitty burrito with a towel, and she didn't really squirm, and enjoyed a small sample of some fresh cream after. I'm not sure why she was so chill after how insane she's been with all other attempts...possibly the second Feliway, possibly the view of a dish of cream.

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will ask...if she's seriously panting, should I "put him away" for awhile so she can take a break?

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's panting madly and the boy won't leave her alone, I'd definitely put him away or distract him.  I'm so pleased they've decided to be friends 

We've just updated out cat claw trimming article... check it out here http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-best-take-care-of-cat-claws
Me, too! I was really kind of surprised...expected some more hissing and stuff, but I'm not going to complain! I did end up separating them and feeding him in the bedroom since she was crazy out of breath.

Great claw-trimming article. I am hoping the positive association with delicious fresh cream will eventually allow her to just chill while I do the nails. Boy kitten had no objections to his manicure and purred the whole time.

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am now mulling over leaving them "unsupervised" tonight while we sleep. Today they were together for several hours in the morning and again in the evening...mostly they just chased each other, ears forward, with several "fights" without hissing/growling and a couple instances where it started to get intense and one of them would growl/hiss. I "broke it up" once by shouting "hey!" They do eat next to (~3 feet apart) each other without fighting.

He weighs around 4-5 pounds less than her and a lot of sites seem to caution leaving an adult cat with a kitten, but I'm not sure about this. He has been a bit harassing...we had to kick him out of the bathroom so our girl could use her litter box, and he is all up in her business a lot despite the plethora of toys scattered around parts of the apartment he's never seen that should be new and exciting. I'm in the middle of building a second cat tree, but for right now there's only one and he took the top, relegating her to the floor.

So...I'm not sure whether "alone" is ok. The air conditioner is noisy and if there was a bad fight out front in the living room I'd never hear it.

When is unsupervised ok?

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess if you are worried, use caution (even if just for your peace of mind and a good night's sleep).  Give them another day of supervised togetherness.  And remember to give lots of loves and attention and praise to your older cat (who is still a kitten anyway).  

While you will be able to have your cats together without your presence very soon, you will always be supervising, just as a mum and dad supervise their children and teenagers - not for violence, but the sibling spats and teasing that happens between brothers and sisters  (I'm sure you know this, but just making sure we're always on mum duty!).  One big clue that your cats are regarding each other as family, is when they groom each other - seen that yet?  You may need a longer supervised together day to allow the play to play into exhaustion when they will then groom (and ultimately cuddle up together) before sleeping.  As one tip for the future also, my husband always makes sure we leave boxes and tunnels etc out so that our kitten can 'escape' when she needs to - or conversely your big cat.  The little bit of getting away is enough time to decompress a situation that might be a bit too intense - obviously not for any serious intent to hunt and kill!  But it doesn't sound at all like you have that scenario on the cards!!  It's going well :)

Oh, and arent they funny about sticking their noses up each other's behinds, including investigating litter box time!! Our kitten has to jump in the box any time big boy goes, either to look and smell, or to use it too!

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! I did keep them separated (though the little one wasn't too happy about it) and then they spent last night with free reign of the apartment. They seemed to do pretty well, although my girl did not want him to snuggle with her on the bed and he moved to sleep in a different spot - but everyone got on well overall. They definitely do a lot of play fighting (I think it's play? No hissing or growling...) and I do see them also grab each other and groom, so that was pretty cool. I haven't had two cats since I was very young...so it's sort of surreal to see two of them come running for dinner!

The box idea is great. I never have the heart to throw away boxes the cats get attached to until they get really raggedy, so there are a few throughout the apartment. There is also some back and forth over who gets the top perch in the tree I have, so I'm hoping to finish putting together the one I've been building soon so that there are more high perches to choose from.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is going well!  You are right in thinking the fighting is play fighting - I go with the rule of thumb that no noise means we're all having fun.  You'll get used to the small noises that are also ok, but hissing or yowling is definately mum intervention time - often it's as easy as looking over and asking 'is everything ok?' or 'are you playing nicely?'.  If they can pause and look at you for that time, then usually it's enough time to decompress and one will usually wander away a little.  They may get straight back into it of course, but with my two, usually it is without sounds so I definitely know it is play.  I had to keep remembering that I'm not a cat, so I don't have the 'eyes' to see if it is too rough - because it does look that way to a human sometimes, when all it is is play!

Sounds like you have happy families!

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sounds like it is going well!  You are right in thinking the fighting is play fighting - I go with the rule of thumb that no noise means we're all having fun.  You'll get used to the small noises that are also ok, but hissing or yowling is definately mum intervention time - often it's as easy as looking over and asking 'is everything ok?' or 'are you playing nicely?'.  If they can pause and look at you for that time, then usually it's enough time to decompress and one will usually wander away a little.  They may get straight back into it of course, but with my two, usually it is without sounds so I definitely know it is play.  I had to keep remembering that I'm not a cat, so I don't have the 'eyes' to see if it is too rough - because it does look that way to a human sometimes, when all it is is play!

Sounds like you have happy families!
This was really helpful - thank you!