aprox. 3 week old Vietnamese kitten --EMERGENCY__

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love these photos! He looks great. We have been busy nursing one of our latest rescues back to health as well, and I have not had much time to look at posts on the site. Our Penny was absolutely skin and bones, very weak, no energy, and refusing to eat. We thought she was a "non-thriving" kitten. With lots of love and attention, and a mixed wetfood/recovery diet, she is doing great.

We expended a lot of energy and time, but it is always worth it. These two would make a great team together! Good job by the way, another beauty gets to live a long, wonderful life because of your efforts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds just like him when he first arrived!

He was so lethargic and would fall asleep standing up and wouldn't play.

It was like someone flicked a switch and he just woke up one day and was full of energy. He's sprinting around with a ball at the moment, he's crazy!! :D

We exhausted ourselves getting him on his feet as you have, too. But it's worth it. 

Good luck with your little kitty :D

I wish they could find a perfect forever home together, wouldn't that be a story!

Last edited by a moderator:

jayjaylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get canned evaporated milk ? If you can dilute it half and half with warm water ( boiled cooled down is best) .

You need to get a small syringe and feed the kitten with that only SMALL amounts at a time but every couple of hours.

From the size you say the kitten is , it probably can't eat cat food yet.

I do have a recipe somewhere for cat gloop which is a good kitten milk substitute but i need to find it and wanted to post this right away.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
JayJayLou thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately I couldn't find evaporated milk, only goat milk.

He's now strong and healthy it's been about 2 weeks now and he's doing well :)

I will post more pics soon!!

jayjaylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes  SORRY!  just realised that you hadn't just posted the emergency. Silly me !  I'm a newbie

you'll have to excuse me lol.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Just posting an update :) Sebastian has had his rabies and 5-in-1 shot and is set for desexing next month :) 

He is a crazy little man, he's very fast and has a tendancy to knock everything over and steal underwear :3

His eye infection remains, he weeps out of one eye still, he's on new medication so hopefully it works :)

Here are some recent pictures !! :D

Before::

After::

My little baby :) <3

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! He's come a long way! He looks so healthy now -- and handsome! What a special little guy he is. I know he owns your hearts now too! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

meow604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just breaks my heart hearing what someone did to that little defenceless kitten. But its a relief knowing there are people like you out there to help him!
Thank you so much for taking care of him. And for the updates! Wow, the before and after shots look like a whole new kitten! I wish you the very best in getting him home to Australia.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the update and photos!  What a huge change in him, he is so handsome now, and looks like "someone loves me."

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everybody,

Another quick update on little Sebastian. He got attacked by wasps and had some swellings and pus filled sores but with treatment he was fine, however he's still after them :( silly boy.

He's grown a lot and he's as fast as lightning. His eyes are now clear and haven't been weeping at all. He has some rear leg issues, well i'm not sure if it's an issue or not.. after a nap he will kinda lazily drag his back end around and he can't jump well at all. He's a ground dweller that's for sure! I'm not sure if he has an issue with his hip development or when his tail was broken (according to the vet he was not born with a twisted tail) :(

We will do x-rays to see but he shows no discomfort with his back legs or any pain, he's quite fine :) . We also found out it will cost approximately 11,000AUD or 8000USD to get him back to Australia, I will have to make a gofundme and hope for the best. I will not leave him here with the threat of being taken for meat. 

Something interesting i've never seen with a kitten too; He humps blankets :| He picks it up in his mouth drags it off the bed and humps it. :\ He's an oddball haha

Here's a quick snap of him :) 
He's a wonderful little boy, he needs to have both me and my husband around and when it's time for work he jumps in my bag to stop me going. He also sleeps with us every night :) 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he been neutered? If not, that is why he is humping the blanket. His testosterone has come in.

Can you keep him inside and away from wasps and bees? The stings are very dangerous to cats!

He looks fantastic! So glad you are finding a way to take him home with you!

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He hasn't been neutered yet, our vet has been away for a month and a half, he's scheduled for next month. Until then, we have to deal with mr. humpy. :\

The stinging didn't occur outside (he only ever goes out with us) it happened on the 3rd floor of our house. In Vietnam it's common to have an open roof for a shrine and this means there's panelling for doors/windows but gaps in between that aren't filled. We can't close off this area either unfortunately as the opening is a staircase. After the accident we cleaned the rooftop and put surface spray on the higher beams but I doubt they'll stay out as it's cooler. 

He was attacked by a giant asian wasp (I found it's remains as well as one living one) I go up there everyday and check it out, make sure their aren't any nests or dying wasps that can sting. So far so good. He was in A LOT of pain. He had a sting on his neck that swelled up into a huge mass around his neck.  Thankfully the vet came and his breathing was fine. He got treated and after 4 days he felt better and began healing.

I just wish he had learned his lesson! Ugh, boys!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby!  Glad he is recovering well.

As for the blanket humping, one of my friends had a tom cat who was "in love" with a left slipper.  JUST the left slipper.  He was quite faithful, and never even LOOKED at its "twin sister."  He was neutered, but the neutering happened after the attachment, and the habit remained.  Your little lover-boy may keep up his relationship with the blanket, but it will be far more sanitary after!

OH...somewhere on the site, and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember quite where, is an area to post requests for assistance.  Be sure to post  your gofundme campaign there, should you start one.

Last edited: