April the Giraffe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh No!!!!! I am devastated!! I really am..

Poor April.. I always thought she was a bit too advanced in age to be giving birth..
She was a sweet, kind, kind, loving, animal.. So kind and caring with the humans around her.. you could see her love just emanating from her.. April was so trusting and loving...

OH no!! I have not seen a post of FB.. although I have not been on it much, recently.. I do belong to the park FB site... dam....

RIP Apri-love bug... The Giraffe who even had HEART shaped Spots.. sweetie..

😥💕

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh No!!!!! I am devastated!! I really am..

Poor April.. I always thought she was a bit too advanced in age to be giving birth..
She was a sweet, kind, kind, loving, animal.. So kind and caring with the humans around her.. you could see her love just emanating from her.. April was so trusting and loving...

OH no!! I have not seen a post of FB.. although I have not been on it much, recently.. I do belong to the park FB site... dam....

RIP Apri-love bug... The Giraffe who even had HEART shaped Spots.. sweetie..

😥💕
I agree. She even had one in 2019. Breeding programs are a big deal for zoos. For some of the endangered species that won't be around at least in a genetically healthy way in the wild the zoos are part of a national breeding program. For tigers who require a large natural habitat the males are moved to another zoo specifically to impregnate a specific female because that is what fits into the breeding program.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Aprils last bad, had to be euthanized because i was so sick..
The one before, was given to a different zoo, down south, and had to be put down, also..

so sad....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that too but she wasn't that old. . .the oldest giraffe at a zoo was 31 and she was only 20. But they said that giraffes can decline very quickly from arthritis, not the long slow decline like most animals. Which makes sense at their height I suppose. Very sad.
At the same time that we lost our tiger at the St Louis Zoo. Both same age too
I think it's interesting that big cats and domestic cats have basically the same lifespan. Usually size makes a difference in that regard.