Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yet. :( she had a very restless night and is sleeping soundly now. She is still eating alot too. I think that's part of what kept her up last night. Her appetite was insatiable.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It's really hard to decide when the kittens will come. As she has been a stray cat, for me that would make it obvious that the first few days  she has eaten like crazy (specially as a pregnant stray), but that it has reduced over time. She's probably nicely filled up with the food she needs, and thus she needs less to sooth her hunger.

Before 4/5 days ago, you didn't see the kittens move at all? Usually at around 7 weeks (so around 2 weeks before birth) you can see them move. The mucus plug can come as early as 2 weeks before giving birth, so to me it doesn't sound like she's due yet. It can be soon, but the signs aren't really there yet. The problem with cats is that they can only start showing signs when they are already about to give labor. At my last litter, the mom lost her mucus plug 5 days before giving birth. It's not really a sign it can happen any moment, but it CAN be a sign it can happen any moment.

Keep an eye on her behavior. Most cats that are about to give birth (hours or a day before) will become extremely restless, and often stop eating all together. Diarrhea can occur, and so can vomiting. As long as it's not too much, it should be okay. The restlessness will show in her looking for a place to give birth, but obviously feeling uncomfortable and therefor keeps moving around a lot. At some point, she will lay down and settle at her chosen nesting place. If she refuses to come out, you can wait for it - it can't be much longer.

Some cats prefer their owner to be around, others rather do it on their own. I have one cat who doesn't allow me to get away from her, the other doesn't want me watching. If the later is the case here, just take a chair and be in the room with her. If something is happening, you will know.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was watching the babies move for about 4 days before I originally posted. So, about 10 days now. Her eating had slowed down but she is acting like a complete glutton now. No matter how much she eats, she won't stop. I picked up her food bowl because she was getting so full, she started gagging.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No signs of labor but I do think polka has picked her spot. She has found a dark cubby between my bed and dresser. I laid blankets down for her and she moved them away. She's been down there for a couple hours now. At least now I'm pretty sure I know where to look for kittens

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm great! So excited for these kitties. I wish I would have known polka before she got pregnant though so changes in her personality would be more obvious

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwwww........ With my daughters severe medical problems over the last 6 years, I've gotten a lot of medical training. Just had ALOT of fun with the stethoscope. I could clearly count 3 BEAUTIFUL heartbeats inside mama kitty. I think she enjoyed it too. What an incredible experience to hear these little angels hearts beating so strong!! Highlight of my day! Haha, maybe even my week!

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to be gross but mama kitty is oozing! It's mucous with no smell so things are good!

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just making it known that this is driving me bonkers! Lol. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, except I wake up every morning to find out that it's still one day til Christmas! She's taking her sweet old time. Ahhhhhhh. Now that that's off my chest!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First litters can take a long time!

It's like the movie "Groundhog day" where everything repeats - lol.

She'll get there. Are her sides rippling?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to convince her that it's time to pop them out. She just looks at me with hungry eyes. Literally hungry. She won't stop eating. Nothing is rippling. Her whole midsection looks like a dance group doing the chacha.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's still leaking the pale mucous off and on so she's getting close. She just has no consideration for what I want to happen. Totally kidding. I don't want her to pop til her babies are good and baked.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol. All the up and down off my bed, she's definitely doing the shake and bake. One thing I've noticed today is I can't feel separate kittens anymore. It's just one hard ball in her midsection. Like someone inflated her.