Anyone with personal experience in dealing with kidney stones in your kitty?

Sweetkittycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bane is really sick and has a kidney infection caused by kidney stones. He's being treated by his vet with antibiotics and fluids. Does anyone have first hand experience with this who can share with me what they went through and if there's any hope for him? Anything I've read said that nothing can be done about kidney stones to reduce them with the exception of surgery which can be dangerous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweetkittycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He couldn't get a urine sample yesterday to determine what kind of stones they are (Bane wasn't drinking so no urine). He did give him fluids but it was too soon to get a sample afterwards yesterday. If the antibiotics don't help I have to go to emerg.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How were the kidney stones/infection diagnosed?

I didn't find much when searching this site for others who have dealt with kidney stones. I do know that antibiotics are usually given for a long, long time in attempt to eradicate the infection - much longer than when given for bladder infections. Identifying the composition of the stones will help determine the best course of action going forward - be that dietary changes, surgery, or both. However, there is also a much less invasive process called extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) - not unlike what humans can go through when dealing with kidney stones.

Maybe these articles might be helpful?
Kidney Stones in Cats | PetMD
Minimally Invasive Management of Uroliths in Cats and Dogs - PubMed (nih.gov)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweetkittycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How were the kidney stones/infection diagnosed?

I didn't find much when searching this site for others who have dealt with kidney stones. I do know that antibiotics are usually given for a long, long time in attempt to eradicate the infection - much longer than when given for bladder infections. Identifying the composition of the stones will help determine the best course of action going forward - be that dietary changes, surgery, or both. However, there is also a much less invasive process called extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) - not unlike what humans can go through when dealing with kidney stones.

Maybe these articles might be helpful?
Kidney Stones in Cats | PetMD
Minimally Invasive Management of Uroliths in Cats and Dogs - PubMed (nih.gov)
He was given an xray yesterday - see pic attached (I circled the stones in yellow).

And thank you for the reading material and treatment suggestion. I think that's only available for one kind of stone and not the other - so next time we do need to identify the type of stone and if it's the one that can be treated that way, I'll ask about that procedure for sure. Also, not all clinics have that kind of machine but I would look for one with it if that were the case.

I will post here about updates on his condition and treatments.

Attachments