Anyone Track Their Cat's Pregnancy Weight?

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much weight should I expect each day? or in stages by weeks??

I weigh her each day.

My female is gaining about 1oz(more or less) a day in the past 15 days. Yesterday I calculated she has gained 10.5oz from Aug 01 to Aug 15.

Her first day of heat was on July 19 for about 4 to 6 days. No visual of a successful breeding was witnessed since I was not around 24/7. I'm a registered breeder and a member of multiple cat associations. My King and queen will not be spayed or neutered until retired. This is my first breeding pair. I have experienced more with raising newborns(rescues) but never with cat pregnancy. I can chat privately about my breeding program through private messages and open to advise. For this post, I would appreciate if we stick to the topic, if anyone has experience with weighing their cats early in pregnancy and how many kittens were born to compare weight gain. If you can share your weight history and how many kittens they ended up having. I know the number of kittens will have a role in how much weight is gained, what I have been told. The fewer kittens the less weight gain, vis vera. Thank you in advance!

Her weight history:
April 07: 8.19lbs (8 months old)
May 20: 8.4lbs
June 02: 8.8lbs (10 months old)
Aug 01: 8.7lbs / 139 oz / 3946g (1 year old)
Aug 15 : 9.35 lbs / 149.7 oz / 4243.92g

Thank you much! I will get an X-ray at about 45- 50 days since her heart cycle. To confirm her pregnancy and how many to expect to deliver

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a preggy cat person so u u cant help in that regard, but I'm really glad she has you!
Hopefully an expert member will be able to give you info asap :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and she has gain about 1lb already...hope she isn't just getting fat. 1 lb in a short period of time. She was in the 8 lb range as her normal weight. Today she is 150.87oz / 4278g / 9.43lbs...Aug 17th

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Furballmom & BlueDreams BlueDreams . I really don't have much to contribute. I have experience with just one pregnant cat. I rescued her from a neighbor's patio. Ten days latter she produced three kittens. I do know the recommendation that you should be feeding a pregnant cat kitten kibble and or kitten tinned food for the extra fat, protein, and calcium. I also fed my rescue a saucer or two per day of Kitten Milk Replacement from the day I rescued her until she weened the kittens. But I suspect that Blue Dreams already knows about the additional nutritional needs of pregnant cats.

I wish her luck. And I am curious about the breed she is working with.

Keep us posted on mom cat's progress. I think many of us on TCS would be curious as to a queen's weight gain and kitten progress, once delivered.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think it would be hard to get a specific target on weight gain mostly because cats can have one or nine kittens. That's a huge range to estimate in for specific tracking and could vary for the same cat by pregnancy based on litter sizes. Not to mention you could have kittens with a different gestational range too so it wouldn't be a straight weight per kitten formula. Maybe a general but it's hard enough to know for sure cats are pregnant let alone track weight gain factoring in kittens in the litter.

It might be an interesting study someday, but I've not heard of specific targets in cats.

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will keep tracking and comparing all her pregnancy to figure out what a estimate is for weight gain compared with the number of kittens. And also keep track of each kitten. A lot of data to enter and track, but that's what I naturally like to do. Figure things out and make sure I have something to look back on incase it's needed to refrence for vets. =) It can hurt to track the details of a queen's pregnancy. Ill keep the thread updated...

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. Her nipples are definitely dark hot pink. Not big and swollen. This would be her first pregnancy so I think the nipple enlargement will take longer.
Her weight has been constant. At 150/151oz since the 19th of Aug to today Sep02. Not sure if her weight gaining will slow down and start back up the last few weeks.
She has a vet appointment in 2 weeks to confirm kittens. Will show results when I get it.

Her belly isnt big. But she is also very fluffy. I know everyone had said at 6 weeks her belly will be big. But its not really .

Let me know your thoughts. Will update soon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Since her belly isn't large, I'll be really interested to hear if she has many kittens or not so many...