Anyone here a self-identified liberal?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

It's okay. You can address me or quote me if you like--I work in a kitchen, I can stand the heat...
But, I am voicing an opinion toward the question, not any personal "accusations".
Okay, both addressing and quoting!
But my confusion arises from the fact that, although I rebutted your earlier post in very specific terms, you responded only with a set of emoticons that I honestly can't interpret.

The only one I can even guess at is the Jerry Springer reference -- maybe you're making some point about the fact that, despite his appalling TV career, he has turned out to be a very intelligent and thoughtful liberal radio host?

The cameras and the "spam" signs... these I don't get at all. Not that I have to... it may be best if we let this thread die out, anyway.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

The only one I can even guess at is the Jerry Springer reference -- maybe you're making some point about the fact that, despite his appalling TV career, he has turned out to be a very intelligent and thoughtful liberal radio host?
My guess is that they referred to Jerry Springer because at times it was like a show of his--liberals squabbling against the conservatives and talking about Bush. Or I could be totally wrong.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Not that I have to... it may be best if we let this thread die out, anyway.
This will probably fall to IMO anyway. I think this thread is becoming (sort of) a little harsh for the usually-mellow Lounge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Somehow, I very much doubt it.

This will probably fall to IMO anyway. I think this thread is becoming (sort of) a little harsh for the usually-mellow Lounge.
Mea culpa!
Well, mods, do what you will.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
perhaps this thread might be more suited to for the IMO section? so as not to turn away anyone new tcs members by the tone of it?

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

I see it as meaning that it's a two sided discussion such as those that "Jerry" referees?
And just as you stated in the above quoted paragraph....I'm sure Taurus77 also has the same "personal integrity" to stand up for what she believes. Or anyone else for that matter! And she did make it clear that she was "hijacking the thread!"
I think its time this thread was moved for that very reason- at least if someone is too immature when they visit IMO they can't complain when they get argued with- this isn't IMO. Personally I thought this would be a fun thread for people to share their political opinion but I sense itgetting nasty

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought we were trying to stay nice especially since the OP mentioned she couldn't post in IMO - it would be nice for the OP to be able to post in their own topic
and not turn this into something where you can be a little 'harsher' in IMO

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am throwing in the towel. Don't worry about moving this thread because I will no longer post in here. I will not say anymore so as not to "offend" anyone.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taurus, I don't think it's necessary to not post. I think, but perhaps I'm mistaken, that mostly everything has been in a fairly nice tone, conversational, perhaps a bit of emphasis from either or both sides, depending on how you want to phrase it, but hey, even Bruce and I aren't arguing!!! C'mon, now... that has to prove something!!!

Anyway, I think it's perfectly fine to post whether you're liberal or conservative, but I think where it crosses the line and this is NOT, I repeat NOT directed at anyone in specific and I don't even recall there being anyone who said it (so as in the fictional book disclaimer.... all references and characters in this book are fictional. Any resemblence or similarity to anyone real life people or places is completely accidental!!).

Anyway, I think where problems come in, particularly for me in "real life" or in the outside world as it were, is that *some* people, no matter which side you're on, refer to things or coin phrases that may not be disrespectful in and of themselves, but are indeed disrespectful when delivered in such a tone.

For instance "bleeding heart liberal" or "tree-hugger" definitely isn't an insult to me, or to most liberals that I know. Most of us take it as a compliment, but if you're standing on a street and someone says to you in a snide, condescending manner, eh, you're just another "bleeding heart liberal" and then sneer at you, then I take it as an insult.

I do admit, though, as an example for myself.. I don't always do things in a politically correct manner.. example of this? Pro-choice or anti-choice. To be politically correct, and I do *try* to remember to call the opposing side pro-life, even though I don't see eye to eye on it..I sometimes do refer to it as anti-choice. I think it's all in what we practice and often either/both side/s don't see something as insulting even though it probably is somewhat inflammatory to the opposing viewpoint. Anyway...I don't see any problem with anyone posting in here.

And, I think it's obvious which side of the tree I fell on (yes yes, there's a *reason* for my braindamage.. it was a long fall...had to hug the tree on the way down or risk mortal injury). That's my story and I'm stickin tuit!

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am extremely liberal, but I do think about the issues before I decide what my viewpoint is; I don't just go liberal-crazy on EVERYTHING, lol! Actually, there is at least one major subject (the death penalty, which I won't get into a debate about) that my views ccould be considered conservative, but I still have my issues with it that trouble me (i.e innocent people).

It drives me crazy when some people (mostly mornic pundits) use the term "liberal" (or "conservative") like a slur. I'm just thankful that most people aren't so stupid. I remember being in Denver a few years ago and there was a sign for a conservative TV/radio show host (I don't remember which one) that was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it just made me angry because it was so stupid. I can't remember the correct wording, but it was essentially, "______ doesn't use conditioner because the directions say to 'apply liberally'." You know, meaning he's soooo conservative he can't bring himself to apparently associate himself with even the word in a remotely positive sense.

Argh, just thinking about it just makes me want to kick something! It just gets under my skin because the ad campaign twists the word into something it's not. And it intentionally condescends to the public's intelligence! The words "liberal" and "conservative" should not be slurs!

Tricia

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify -- I'm not personally offended, and no one needs to stop posting for my sake. My last post above was just an effort to engage Taurus in a more constructive exchange, involving reasoned discussion rather than emoticons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think its time this thread was moved for that very reason- at least if someone is too immature when they visit IMO they can't complain when they get argued with- this isn't IMO. Personally I thought this would be a fun thread for people to share their political opinion but I sense itgetting nasty.
The way I’d framed the original question made it clear I didn’t want it to become a IMO-style topic. Not because I dislike debate(quite the opposite), but because 1) I can’t post in IMO, and 2)I wanted to respect the norms of the Cat Lounge.

In real debates I always aim for the jugular. Here I’ve kept my claws sheathed.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nausicaa

The way Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d framed the original question made it clear I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want it to become a IMO-style topic. Not because I dislike debate(quite the opposite), but because 1) I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t post in IMO, and 2)I wanted to respect the norms of the Cat Lounge.

In real debates I always aim for the jugular. Here Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve kept my claws sheathed.
Hehe, in that case I'm *glad* you're liberal!!
I definitely feel that way sometimes, though. In fact, I just deleted a post that I made last night because I felt it was too over the top for me personally, mostly because I posted it when I was angry, so..it was a little more strongly worded than the norm that I try to maintain... (yes yes, for those of you coughing on your coffee... I didn't say I was always successful!).. Sheesh, I can just see the coffee splatters now...

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leftist, yes. "Liberal", no. I am a hardcore individual leftist. I believe in the power to govern oneself and one's property should be left up to the individual and not the government. Any government that is in place should have minimal power and its ONLY job is to ensure that I am free to govern myself however I see fit. Some people would call this Individual Anarchism, Minarchism, or Libertarianism. So yes I'm extremely "left leaning" but I don't use the word liberal to describe myself as people usually associate this with a big government when all I really desire is no government.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that if all of us liberals here did post in IMO once in a while, we wouldn't fee so outnumbered over there. See ya there!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

I'm thinking that if all of us liberals here did post in IMO once in a while, we wouldn't fee so outnumbered over there. See ya there!
Heh, I think I prolly do enough posting to represent at least four of the liberals besides me.

There's something to be said for already being a SuperCat.. I think that was it.. I've only been here erm... two months? Maybe three. ... Many many posts ago.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Heh, I think I prolly do enough posting to represent at least four of the liberals besides me.

There's something to be said for already being a SuperCat.. I think that was it.. I've only been here erm... two months? Maybe three. ... Many many posts ago.
WOW!!! I just thought you had been here a long time. THat's a lot of posting in just a couple of months. And I have seen you in IMO. Keep up the good work.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually consider myself very liberal....weither thats good or bad...who knows. I come from a family that has two generations of the women leading the household, and now I'm third in the line of this generation.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Wouldn't it be ironic if this thread had to be moved to IMO because of my post?
I used to be a moderate Republican (yes, such a thing did exist, and perhaps still does), but after eight years of witnessing how Reagan's idea of "small government" turned control of the country over to big business/lobbyists, I started to move left of center. I didn't vote for Clinton, but approved of his performance, and his impeachment proceedings resulted in my leaving the G.O.P..
Nearly eight years of Bush/Cheney, and their total disregard of laws, human rights and the balance of power have pushed me to the far left, I suppose.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

WOW!!! I just thought you had been here a long time. THat's a lot of posting in just a couple of months. And I have seen you in IMO. Keep up the good work.
Heh, see, I told you I posted enough for a bunch of us....