Anyone have a cat that has been on 100% Raw diet their whole life?

easybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Twelve years ago I had nine cats...I started feeding them all entirely raw that I make myself....all but one are still

on it.

Since then I have lost four...three around the age of 17...to my knowledge none died from kidney faliure..

but I do have one now who is 14..who has recently been diagnosed with it...and they put him on renal failure '

food...he likes it..but he is losing weight. After he eats it...he runs to the raw meat bowl...and it breaks my heart to

chase him away...lately..he isn't eating the renal food like he was...and is so hungry...he is trying to eat off my plate with

his paw...

This is all new to me..but in the last month ..on that food and subq

fluids....his bun and creatinine have gone down...but he is very boney....and I am so concerned that he isn't getting

enough protein. He has lost weight and I am reading. without protein..they lose muscle mass and can even make the

crf worse...

I am very anxious to learn from others who are dealing with this same issue.

I am new to this group so have not seen anyone dealing with crf and feeding raw...if you are out there...I need

to know your recipe...as mine has ground bones...and I understand bones have the phrosphuros...that is the

big issue with crf cats...

Has this been discuss in any detail on this site???which supplements etc???

I will be happy to share the benefit of my homemade experience .....my cats have never eaten anything that comes

in a bag.

Looking forward to becoming part of your group

Bev

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I would love to hear from anyone that has a cat or cats that has been on raw the entire cats life.   Minimal or no exposure to commercial food ever with the exception of commercial raw with no fruit/vegetable fillers - such as RadCat.

Thanks
My Aby has been eating commercial raw food his entire life. The breeder fed him Nature's Variety Instinct and I contineud feeding it. The food dose has a minimal amount of fruits and veggies in it.

I am new to this group so have not seen anyone dealing with crf and feeding raw...if you are out there...I need

to know your recipe...as mine has ground bones...and I understand bones have the phrosphuros...that is the

There's a recipie at catnutrition.org/recipes.html that can be ade without bone.

Dr. Lisa of Catinfo.org is available (for a small fee) to discuss raw food deits for cats with special healt conditions/concerns. Her contact info is on her web site.

I've heard of people using a phosphorus binder with their cat's food, whether regular pet fodo or raw food.

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The people over at Holidticat (forums) are also extremely knowledgable.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

Twelve years ago I had nine cats...I started feeding them all entirely raw that I make myself....all but one are still

on it.

Since then I have lost four...three around the age of 17...to my knowledge none died from kidney faliure..

but I do have one now who is 14..who has recently been diagnosed with it...and they put him on renal failure '

food...he likes it..but he is losing weight. After he eats it...he runs to the raw meat bowl...and it breaks my heart to

chase him away...lately..he isn't eating the renal food like he was...and is so hungry...he is trying to eat off my plate with

his paw...

fluids....his bun and creatinine have gone down...but he is very boney....and I am so concerned that he isn't getting

enough protein. He has lost weight and I am reading. without protein..they lose muscle mass and can even make the

crf worse...

I will be happy to share the benefit of my homemade experience .....my cats have never eaten anything that comes

in a bag.

Bev
Welcome!  Here's a thread that might help, I just searched this site for "eggshell" and "bone":  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/277675/feeling-very-conflicted-re-home-cooked-raw-vs-commercial

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

on it.

his paw...

crf worse...

in a bag.

Bev
I have a 15 year old cat who was in stage 2 renal failure, my dad who is a semi retired vet recommended I switch her to a raw diet immediately, which I did, I don't feed bone due to the phosphorus content, I use eggshells for calcium, in just 3 months she was reduced to a stage 1 renal disease just from switching to raw.  IMO raw is better than the crap in a bag any day.  The vet renal diets are WAY to low in protein which causes them to lose muscle mass.  Here is an excellent source of information about it: http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-kidney-disease-phosphorus-and-raw-diets  I follow the catinfo.org recipe boneless and I use beef instead of chicken as my girl is allergic to chicken in all forms.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The people over at Holidticat (forums) are also extremely knowledgable.
I think it's Holisticat. There's a member fee in order to join the forum. I considered joining but didn't want to have to pay the $25 even if I did get a week to browse the fourms for free before I was charged.

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think it's Holisticat. There's a member fee in order to join the forum. I considered joining but didn't want to have to pay the $25 even if I did get a week to browse the fourms for free before I was charged.
Holisticat, of course. It's not for everyone. I paid, and use it pretty rarely - though when I have used it, the information is rock solid. Less opinion, & more fact based.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very thankful for this thread, I was curious as to if anyone had dental issues after being on an all raw diet. I hear how it fixes this problem & that problem, obviously not all cat issues!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am very thankful for this thread, I was curious as to if anyone had dental issues after being on an all raw diet. I hear how it fixes this problem & that problem, obviously not all cat issues!
No direct experience that I could relate to you, however I have read that being able to chew on chunks of meat/cartlidge is beneficial.   Things like chicken wings or feet are said to be good for dental health - though I could never get my cat to try these.   Some feel that`s where feeding franken-prey has an advantage over ground raw.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I brush my cats' teeth so I can't say if their raw diet helps their teeth in any way. I do find pieces of raw meat stuck on their teeth as I brush so maybe the raw isn't doing too much (I feed NV Instinct and raw with a premix). I do know people who give raw chicken wings and gizzards and stuff for dental health and they say their cats's teeth are clean and healthy.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I brush my cats' teeth so I can't say if their raw diet helps their teeth in any way. I do find pieces of raw meat stuck on their teeth as I brush so maybe the raw isn't doing too much (I feed NV Instinct and raw with a premix). I do know people who give raw chicken wings and gizzards and stuff for dental health and they say their cats's teeth are clean and healthy.
I've got 4 kitties, only 2 will munch on raw chunks of meat. I've got to research some dental chews that don't have crappy ingredients, the only ones I find at the pet store, the first ingredient is wheat.

On the teeth brushing, I have no idea the best way to get a cat to open it's mouth. It's a total struggle & I get one tiny brush in before they want to pull away. I've even tried using a moistened q-tip with the toothpaste because it's smaller, that seems to work well. I can massage the gums & tooth line plus get the enzymatic toothpaste on too.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The main concern with dental issues in cats (and people) is the carbohydrates. Foods with a lot of carbs cause plaque to stick to the teeth, especially if you do not brush. That's part of the whole big debate for "dry vs wet". The wet food still has carbs and is sticking to teeth more than the dry food and that's why you're still seeing a lot of dental issues in cats on a wet food diet. Don't get me wrong, dry food does NOT clean teeth and does still cause dental issues if you do not brush your cat's teeth. Just (IN MY OPINION, I may be wrong), you have to be more diligent about brushing a cats teeth if they eat canned food. 

Now, that's only the MAIN concern. Once you move your cat over to a ground raw (with NO carbs) food does not mean that your cat will have perfect teeth. Some cats are just genetically predisposed to have mouth problems.

If you add bone-in pieces and/or large chucks of raw meat for additional chewing/tearing action then your chances of needing dentals should be reduced. GREATLY reduced from a canned food diet. But does not mean that you will not need to brush their teeth and/or have the occasional dental done.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

On the teeth brushing, I have no idea the best way to get a cat to open it's mouth. It's a total struggle & I get one tiny brush in before they want to pull away. I've even tried using a moistened q-tip with the toothpaste because it's smaller, that seems to work well. I can massage the gums & tooth line plus get the enzymatic toothpaste on too.
Abyssinians are pone to dental isses so that's why my Aby gets his teeth brushed vevery single day. He was already used to teeth brushing when I got him from the breeder. I just put in on the bathroom counter and hold his lips up so I can brush.

My  rescue cat would not let me go near her teeth at first. She saw my Aby having his teeth brushed one day and I guess she decided that maybe teeth brushing wasn't such a bad thing after all

My previous cat didn't get his teeth brushed unil he was about 8 years and had several bad teeth removed. I didn't think he would like teeth brushing at first but he happily let me ppke the toothbrush in the mouth. I think he just liked the taste  of fhe toothpase
I use CET poultry flavored toothpaste.

Here's a video of how to brush a cat's teeth: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet-owners/cat-teeth

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed Nature's Variety Instinct & Weruva. These foods have 10% DM carb count, that's why I went with these brands/varieties. I've been reading about Stomatitis & it is what it is. I am going to get my kitten tested this weekend for all sorts of things that can cause swollen lymph & bad gingivitis. That is what prompted me to look in my other kitties mouths & wahla - they all have red gums!

I've looked on the internet to see if Q-tip "brushing" is ok & I guess it is. The main thing is to massage the gumline which I'm doing most gently as the teeth are bleeding. I'm trying to really lighten my touch until they get more used to it. See, I hope the kitty in my lap so they can't escape & then try to prop the mouth open & see inside of what I'm doing. I will try the bathroom counter tonight.

I used to have an Abby, she was a blue & she had the worst teeth I've ever seen in my life. 

I will get out the turkey necks but I don't know if I'll have any takers. They eat ground raw once a day (RadCat), I just can't afford to feed it to them solely. Heck I can barely afford the $700 in cat food every few months!

Thanks for the tips.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like one smart kitty.   Ah yes, the joys of raw fed poop.   The input is icky but the output is lovely.   Just the opposite of dry food. :)
I feed grain free canned and my cats poop every other day, it is minimal and no smell. Does dry food poop stink?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed grain free canned and my cats poop every other day, it is minimal and no smell. Does dry food poop stink?
Yes, dry food poop stinks horribly

I think poop has some odor no matter what is fed. My Aby has pretty stinky poop and he eats only raw food
My other cat also eats raw food and her fresh poop has a slight odor.