Anyone else watching HBO's True Blood?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my god I loved the parts where it talked about Sookie not beign able to shower or comb her hair hahah or she woke up all bruised!!! Because it showed you don't have to be perfect to get someone as hot as Eric!!
gave me some hopes

Although I really didn't like her outfits in the show, they were horrible and even worse what I imagined them to be when I was reading.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom

This show is awesome!! It just keeps getting better and better. I have to say that True blood and Dexter are by far the two best show i have ever seen (Oz was pretty good too).
We are avid True Blood and Dexter watchers too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Honestly, Harris wrote her as an idiot, too. In her attempt to make Sookie a "normal woman" - a person with normal concerns and worries, she kind of botched it. I couldn't read passed the fourth book because I got so sick of her going on about Sookie not being dressed up, Sookie couldn't wash her hair because it would take ages to dry
and other useless garbage that made her sound like nothing more than a shallow dumb blond. Sort like she'd take a step forward developing the character, then take two steps back with that.
Mary Janice Davidson is another writer who does this to the point that it completely distracts from the story.

So they honestly didn't make her any worse.

I do wonder how they're going to set up Bill and Sookie breaking up. It seems like they're not going to completely skip the fourth book so Bill needs to be out of the country and that relationship pretty much done.
Thanks for the hint those of us who are only watching the show didn't want......

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Thanks for the hint those of us who are only watching the show didn't want......
Read the books, they're simply written enough that most people should be able to follow them. Besides they skip and changed so much there's no guarantee they'll do anything other than eventually have Sookie with Eric. Even more to point, as slow as they go it'll probably be more than two seasons away and no one will remember a single word of any of my posts on this forum by that time.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Аctually I was thinking that they may not break up in the show. Eric and Sookie is hard to imagine in the show and Bill is just too sweet and perfect. And besides, in the show we can see things not only through Sookie's eyes and we see that Bill truly cares about Sookie. In the books it's not as easy to tell if it's just that Sookie can't see what's going on and Bill played her from the start or if he really did care for her and it's just that bad circumstances happened to him.
SPOILER
strange_wings did you read the book where Sookie goes to help Sophie Anne clean up Hadley's apartment in New Orleans??? Because in that book more things happen with Bill so you might be just remembering the whole issue with Lorena..Sookie just got hurt by what he did with Lorena but she never really stopped loving him IMO she just got distracted with Eric.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Аctually I was thinking that they may not break up in the show. Eric and Sookie is hard to imagine in the show and Bill is just too sweet and perfect. And besides, in the show we can see things not only through Sookie's eyes and we see that Bill truly cares about Sookie. In the books it's not as easy to tell if it's just that Sookie can't see what's going on and Bill played her from the start or if he really did care for her and it's just that bad circumstances happened to him.
I was thinking that too. I'm interested to see what direction they take with her cousin. They seem to be writing Eric very differently than the books. Too bad, I liked Eric in the books.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I thought the Eric in the books was better, too.

strange_wings did you read the book where Sookie goes to help Sophie Anne clean up Hadley's apartment in New Orleans??? Because in that book more things happen with Bill so you might be just remembering the whole issue with Lorena..Sookie just got hurt by what he did with Lorena but she never really stopped loving him IMO she just got distracted with Eric.
As I said. I left off after book four - years ago. It just started getting too goofy for me to read.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol yea I just don't remember what happened in each book- I sort of remember the stories but not which book it came from.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lol yea I just don't remember what happened in each book- I sort of remember the stories but not which book it came from.
Book four was the Hallow and amnesia bit... that should keep it vague enough that only readers know what the heck we're talking about.

All I can say is that I hope they carry over the ...little red undies to the tv series - I'd keep watching for that.
It would be funny.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I really wanted to see was Eric in pink leggings. In the orgies of the books that's what he wore when he took Sookie....And then he was on top of her when Bill surprised them..Wow how different that is from the show...I miss that Eric

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What I really wanted to see was Eric in pink leggings. In the orgies of the books that's what he wore when he took Sookie....And then he was on top of her when Bill surprised them..Wow how different that is from the show...I miss that Eric
Ok, now I HAVE to read the books!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Ok, now I HAVE to read the books!
You might as well. And if you like them you can always do what I keep suggesting to utopia - pick up some anthologies Harris is in and find other authors you might like.

People should read as much as they can. It doesn't matter what you're reading as long as you're reading.

Since Harris has been writing for a while, and her series was popular before the shows, it should be possible to find copies of her books used - if not even Walmart, Target, and Kmart stock them.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol the anthologies are too teasing for me!!
There is one coming out in October by Charlaine Harris- A touch of Dead and it will only consist of Sookie short stories ...I will probably check that out.
Oh I've been obsessed with Kelley Armstrong lately, I read most of her women of the otherworld stuff...But then classes started so I had to stop.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you like Kelley Armstrong. Plenty of books to read. I'm trying to think of a couple others... Briggs, Vaughn, Frost, Black - all have some series that are mutli-book that you may get into and honestly some of their books would make interesting movies/series.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read some of Briggs but I don't really like her style too much
But I will check out the others...I typically need some kind of love story mixed in but the characters really need to be brought to life, I didn't like how Mercy was characterized in Moon Called. And I like all of the random little bits about the characters daily boring lives...Like how Paige Winterbourne is 15 pounds over weight and can't jog but tries to and Elena Michaels always wears jeans and a t shirt and runs for fun...Those things make a huge difference cuz I can relate to the characters that way. I was reading this historical fiction novel by Elizabeth Peters, the one where Vicky Bliss is the main character- and it was like Vicky was the narrator but it was almost as if it was written in the third person because we don't get to hear enough of Vicky's actual thought process and her little observations about what she sees that make me get to know her...And that's why I didn't fall in love with the series like I did with the Sookie series and the women of the otherworld series...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't like Briggs, either. But her story to translate to tv/film well enough (in other words, they couldn't do any worse!
).

I wonder with the recent upswing in vampire themed shows and movies, again, if there will be other series adapted? There's certainly plenty of authors out there that would probably take the offers.
... Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series would work well since it runs similar format to Harris's Sookie series - only Rachel has a bit more fight in her.

Anyone else have any series they'd like to see made into a show similar to HBO's True Blood?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure a lot of series will work, I am surprised they haven't been already made because some of the shows I see them advertise are sooo lame!! It seems like there is too much reality crap on TV, even the shows they have are sort of like reality based like Grey's Anatomy, Samantha Who- where it's not exactly following a story line but just shows the daily lives of certain people...I wish they had more shows that are based off of actual stories...I'd love to see the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon made into a show or movie because they are another obsession of mine.
And I don't know about this Vampire Diaries show but I don't think I'd watch it- the cover looks exactly the same as true blood lol

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You might as well. And if you like them you can always do what I keep suggesting to utopia - pick up some anthologies Harris is in and find other authors you might like.

People should read as much as they can. It doesn't matter what you're reading as long as you're reading.

Since Harris has been writing for a while, and her series was popular before the shows, it should be possible to find copies of her books used - if not even Walmart, Target, and Kmart stock them.
I agree about reading but these days most of my reading consists of baby books! And not even the educational ones but the cute little ones I read to him. Right now we're reading The Little Prince and that one is more for me but it works.