Anyone else share my love of historical buildings?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Alnwick Castle is home to the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland who still reside there, and they open most parts of the castle to the general public, where all proceeds help go towards the upkeep of it.

It was also used in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves with Kevin Costner, and the ever famous Harry Potters Hogwarts School.

It's best if you can see the websites of them because theres so much to read, but if you can't find any links just let me know.

Ever heard of Chillingham Castle?. Thats one of the most haunted castles in England and thats only 30 minutes in the opposite direction from me as well

Try

www.alnwickcastle.co.uk

www.bamburghcastle.co.uk

www.chillinghamcastle.co.uk

www.rabycastle.co.uk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Susan and Jan! I did go to the sites...and I swear it just hooked my curiosity even more than before. They are so regal and beautiful, and have so much history...just looking at them can kind of tell the story.
I did go look at Chillingham Castle, and it did have a sadness to it...and I watched on the Travel Channel about the dungeons, and the torture chambers...maybe it was Chillingham...with the iron maiden with the screws in it that people were put inside and then she was closed...the chair of nails..all of those things! But it is so beautiful! I would love if for just one day, I could come visit and just see them in person...some of my favorite books are by Julie Garwood that cover the mideviel times with the castles, and things. I just love them. Thank you so much for sharing those!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever i go to them Diane, i always put myself back to King Henry VIII time and imagine the long dresses they used to wear, sweeping down the huge wide staircases.

I hope you can visit them one day because i assure you, you won't be sorry!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I just checked out this whole thread. All these photos are awesome!