• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Check out this cell phone
http://get.ampd.com/

click on coverage to see if they work in your area.Unfortunatly, they don't here!!!
They cover my area, but they're quite a bit more expensive than some of the other plans I've seen.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing is, I would start with one of the prepaid plans rather than a cheaper phone on contract, it may seem like more of an expense right now, but if you decide that you can't afford the phone, buying out the contract can be very expensive

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a cell and I'd be lost without it! I don't use it all that much, but I like to be able to make a phone call NOW, not when I get to the nearest phone

I am amazed at hwo expensive phone plans are in the US. The cheapest one I could find was close to $50/month - for a phone I don't use much!! In Australia, you could get $10/month plans!

I've just gone onto a "family plan" with a friend, and that makes our bills about $40-45/month which is still quite high.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

There is a website: www.gethuman.com. This site was started by a man who was frustrated with the "menu's" that most companies have nowaday. There are many many companies 800#'s listed with steps on bypassing the automated systems and getting a human person quicker. I have found this website to be very helpful.
ROFL they had the company I work for on their list! I work for Direct Loans which is the US Dept of Ed - Loans. I hope they rate our reps as very helpful!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

They gave you an F based on these principles
That is most likely because the company that runs the student loans placed almost all the reps on an incentive program where they are paid per call. The reps are rushing the borrowers so they can get to the next call. I am not on this program because the area I work in is what is called an assist line. We answer the reps questions about an account and take the dreaded calls where someone asks for a supervisor. Our calls can be a few seconds or an hour or two. Since they implemented this program, customer service has gone down and the sup calls have gone way up. Cheap company!!!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was more based on how long you are stuck in an automated system and wait times etc, companies were also downgraded for making people listen to statements like these while on hold for a rep
"Your call is important to us." / "Please listen carefully, as our menu options have changed." / "You can access our website to answer most questions."

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have one! I don't like them, it's so horrible to look around and practically everyone is sitting there txting...it's so anti-social! Now people ask me for my cellphone number, and when I say I don't have one, they're really surprised. *sigh*

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to be without mine.I have 4 kids and Hubby works swing shift...............so he is rarely home.I've broken down a couple of times nad HAD to use the cell.Also, when I'm out and I forget what I need to pick up,Shawn can call me on the cell and let me know what to get.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't have a cell phone have often thought about getting one but I don't really need one. I don't even use my land line that much.