Anyone else have an Only-Gravy-Licker?

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Natures Variety Pride is the only food I can get my kitty who is a Iicker to eat, it' has little chunks with gravy n it's supposed to be "good" for them. Whatever you do, stay away from Weruva. I've been feeding my kittiys Weuva for years n recently read how they use a vitamin K supplement, menodine sodium, I waned to post the link I read from Amazon but I can't figure it out. Tiki cat is a good brand, but idk y I don't read more people using it, so maybe it's not that great

ruxpin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a gravy licker too. Sebastian, or Seabass as I like to call him, is all about the juice. Although he will eat the dry food, just not the meat part of the canned food. My rescue bebu is quirky.

mrpurrrfectcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat will only eat the gravy option and won't eat the pate style or anything with fish in it, unless it is canned tuna in spring water.

I have found that a lot of the healthier versions were pate style and my cat just turned his nose up.

I have found a great grain free wet food with gravy that he likes and he loves the kibble too. Which is a relief because he actually likes the healthy option!

lynnkatsis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have only-gravy-licker! is 10 yr old indoor Siamese, began w/tooth prob, $485 later prob fixed, continued to feed pate (for older cats), but would not eat, tried all sorts of stuff, just like you, only thing worked Gerber turkey/gravy baby food but is not good daily sub for cat food, back to only licking gravy from any cat food in gravy!!!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I too have a gravy only girl.

She only eats fancy feast classics which is meatloaf style. So I put the food in her dish and add warm water to her can-mash it good. I get it to like pudding like textrure. It works best if you mash it before adding water but if i do it this way-she wont touch it..so its mashed with water. I let her lap up the juice and add more water after and remash-She usually licks the juice during the night. She also is a kibble kitty that I have been having hard time gettin her off dry. I suggest if anyone has a young cat to start on wet food and forget kibble. Once they taste kibble they only want kibble...

I also saw someone make tuna water=fill a mason jar with can of tuna and a can of water-shake it-let it sit or mash it with a fork and it turns into a slurry. These cats drive me insane.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a feral I feed and care for that only likes to lick the sauce or gravy too.  I have found a food he sort of likes.  Yet I have to add some warm water or no salt chicken broth and I then use an immersion blender or small hand held whisk to mix it smooth like pudding.  I too have to add more water as he eats.  He is a lover of dry food and also a grazer.  The other feral cats eat so fast and they will eat pretty much anything.  This one just prefers his dry as it is still there when he is hungry.  I do my best to get him to eat wet food once a day and then just allow him to eat dry.  Crazy crazy cats and what we crazy crazy humans do for them!!

melanie mather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our three cats are the same, after 2014 they won't eat the meat from the cans at all.

They will lick up the sauces, and they vomit the pate, the vet says they are fine.

But have you noticed that the cat food cans now are lined with a white paint?

What do the CATS know that WE don't know? We are going through more dry than normal too.

is there BPA in the white coating in these cans? I know there is a question about that for

human foods, soup, fruit and some vegies, but why do the cans have to be coated inside?

and I have begun avoiding canned foods.

Now we can't even trust Froze Food with the latest bacterial out break of lysteria.

skelekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new here, and I have to thank the people who mentioned "blending the food" with chunks to try and make it more palatable. It has saved my sanity!

I've got two 14 week old boys, and whilst both of them holler for their wet food in the morning and at night, they were only eating the gravy but not the chunks! I would leave it, and they'd eventually pick at things,  but not enough for it to be all gone by the time it was past it's best.

For boys, they're really not very food oriented (more sleep oriented if anything), and so they get half a 100g pouch between them in the morning and before bed, decent quality kibble to nibble at through the day (only half a cup between them max all day and even then there's leftovers) and a tin of applaws between them (which they absolutely annihilate).

I blended their chunks for the first time the other day, and they ate the lot.

This site has saved my sanity!

svartkatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one that will eat anything and another who suddenly changed to only licking off the gravy. I started getting theFancy Feast gravy lovers and press it through a wire strainer for the one and give the other cat the food with a little of the gravy. I wish Fancy Feast would bottle their gravies. I tried pureeing the food, but the gravy lover won't touch it. He will eat pate style food, though as long as it is right out of the can. So glad I have the time to cater to his tastes. 

john heinsen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started a thread a few days ago on our Kenji. He had his teeth cleaned last Monday. He is a gravy licker but has eaten chunks and shreds. Today he wa having difficulty eating some of the chunks but did eat some of the shreds afterwards. I will have to try the mashing and or blending methods. I don't  want to see him losing anymore weight he is pretty bony.

seasand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is pretty old, but my cat is the same way, exactly! She only likes the Lotus brand, which is a family owned pet food company in California and only sold in three independent pet stores, thankfully one just just a few blocks away from me.

hairycoot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone tried crushing up those Temptations treats and sprinkle them on wet food? I had read somewhere that people also use Fortiflora and that those temptation treats have animal digest as well, to attract them.

The treats didn't work for me, Begley licked all the crumbs off the treats up and left the wet food.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried crushing up those Temptations treats and sprinkle them on wet food? I had read somewhere that people also use Fortiflora and that those temptation treats have animal digest as well, to attract them.

The treats didn't work for me, Begley licked all the crumbs off the treats up and left the wet food.
I sometimes crumble up either something like Purbites or Natures's Variety Raw Boost minis:

https://www.chewy.com/purebites-chicken-breast-freeze/dp/35896

https://www.chewy.com/natures-variety-instinct-raw-boost/dp/42389

I have an almost former kibble addict (she only gets a tiny bit of kibble each night as a "treat") who sometimes grudgingly eats her wet food. I have to push the crumbles into the canned food so she doesn't pull a "Begley" and eat just the crumbles off the top. That usually gets her to eat her canned food.

hairycoot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sometimes crumble up either something like Purbites or Natures's Variety Raw Boost minis:

https://www.chewy.com/purebites-chicken-breast-freeze/dp/35896

https://www.chewy.com/natures-variety-instinct-raw-boost/dp/42389

I have an almost former kibble addict (she only gets a tiny bit of kibble each night as a "treat") who sometimes grudgingly eats her wet food. I have to push the crumbles into the canned food so she doesn't pull a "Begley" and eat just the crumbles off the top. That usually gets her to eat her canned food.

Thank you very much!

I got a free sample of some Primal Freeze Dried something or another...haha But I haven't tried it yet.

And I honestly didn't think of pushing the crumbs into the food or buying the raw boost minis. Considering I currently feed him the Raw Boost kibble. He may take after that better.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The NVI raw boost treats crumble really easy and seem to have helped bridge the transition from kibble to wet because my girl really loves them. I just smoosh the crumbles so they are imbedded in the canned food.
I had to do the transition from kibble to canned literally overnight after my kitty had a crystal diagnosis so you are good to be persistent about getting Begley transitioned over. I don't know what canned goods you have tried but feeding NVI canned duck or rabbit has been a big hit with my kibble addict....I rarely have to put any sort of topper on either of those. NVI canned is a little pricy so I rotate it with some other less expensive brands to help keep the food bill down!