Anyone else have an Only-Gravy-Licker?

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilbit does the same thing sometimes. Only she will force her head in while Socks is already eating.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty will only eat kibbles.  She ignores both the gravy and the chunks, and pate makes her give a delicate little shiver as she backs away from the dish.  She also won't eat human food, cooked or raw.  Just kibbles, kibbles, kibbles.  The closest she comes to anything non-kibble, is that she loves the water drained from a can of tuna (we call that tuna soup, and she knows that phrase), although she won't touch the tuna itself.

We're discussing this on another thread, as well, and some very bright person there suggested adding the pate type food and water to a blender and making a very liquid mix.  I'm going to give that a try.  She does drink plenty of water, though.  She has four water dishes in the house, and drinks from all of them, as well as the (EEEP) potty.  Which I now clean at least every other day, and call it "cleaning Hekitty's water bowl").

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have done the blending of pate' and water, of pate' and liquid from supplement pouches and of those two combined with dry food. It's always the same. Socks will eat a little bit and then leave the rest with a "what else ya got?" look on his face. I'm gonna try Kibbles. Thanks.

yukicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3yr old rescue cat is the same.

She only licks gravy or jelly off the wet food and the only type of wet food she will eat is pate. She almost never emptyies her food bowl. She still will leave a lot of food behind. 

I recently discovered she will eat Felix as good as it looks - double delicious pouches. And the best way to feed her is to give her half a pouch and half a can of pate with 10g dried food on the side.

She likes the variety of her food. She will first lick most of the pate, and then eat some dry, then go back to finish the pouch meat. 

She seems to eat more in this way. I thought I found a perfect solution.

However, she begin to have bowel moment only on the other day...

I am starting to worry again. Is this normal? 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Anyone else feel my pain here?! They usually only eat Pate but I thought I'd give it a shot, because RedBarn was on sale. 4 paws down. They ate all the broth and left the chunks. :frusty:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else feel my pain here?! They usually only eat Pate but I thought I'd give it a shot, because RedBarn was on sale. 4 paws down. They ate all the broth and left the chunks.
I had this problem with both my seniors.  The only thing that worked for me was to stick to the pate style foods for them.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 2 cats won't eat pate style cat food . They are hard core gravy lickers but they do eventually eat the chunks out of it lastly though.

apatchworkquilt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have that same problem with one of my cats. I have found that if I mix some turkey or chicken broth with a tablespoon of chicken or turkey (human) baby food he laps it right up!!  We always have some dry food out for him to eat too.

bernicemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG....yup, I understand.  I have a beautiful yellow, male, tiger cat, @ 20lbs. of love.  He is definitely my boss.  Just recently, Fancy Feast stopped providing a kind of cat food, "Breakfast Egg Scramble" and now I am beside myself trying to find a replacement.  He loves to consume just the gravy.  If there is any bits, morsels or whatever in the food, I have t remove it first.  That particular food had more than enough thick yellow (egg) juice in it to satisfy him and  was content as well.  A satisfied cat is a pleasing site to behold, is it not?  Well, I must explain, when little he was feral and although he decided one day to come into my abode by choice, we have an understanding that this is indeed his domain.  Without his "brand" he gives me a look of distaste.  He will not eat any other gravy contained in other kinds, all kinds.  Mind you, he only ate the gravy, the food went into the garbage.  Now, he is eating only his "Blue" Brand dry and I want to continue looking for a canned food for him with substantial thicker gravy.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  Thanks.

webjanet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eureka!  I have found cat gravies! And a cat bisque my cat absolutely loves!  The Delectables Bisque Lickable Treat I buy on Amazon (top far right) as well as the Delectables Stew (bottom right.)  The Simply Nourish Accents Sauces I found today at Petsmart.

My cat eats the bisque like a little piggy.  I swear I've heard him OINK while eating it! ;-) And he loves the stew, too.  He's an older guy (20) so I take a knife and chop up some of the bigger morsels in the stew.  But boy does he love it!

I bought a bunch of these sauces today I plan to try as a way to get him to take his new Cosequin for his joints.  We shall see how it goes -- but alas, there are cat gravies out there!

missey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think our kitties are trying to show us something - since they can't talk.  When they only lick the gravy off the canned cat food, I think they are trying to tell us the flavor is in the gravy, not the shreds, bits and chunks that are left over.  I think the cat food companies have changed the labels to match the flavoring of the gravy, and have used the same formula for the shreds, bits and chunks to make it look appealing to us humans.  Does anyone know of any quality cat foods that do not cost an arm and a leg - so-to-speak?

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been offering my kitty ,chicken with gravy, Gerbers (stage 2) from time to time and she loves that. Mostly eating Purina Complete Cat Chow.The other two like Fancy Feast "anything" in the primervera with classic sauce line. LOL NO picky eaters here.. S-u-r-e...

ovetia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes. The person I got Ollie from said he didn't get on with wet food, though it looked like she fed jelly or gravy type wet food. Because, if I can help it, I don't like having a cat on an all-dry diet I bought a few things for him to try -- gravies he'd lick and jellies he'd munch, but he'd leave the chunks well enough alone. We chanced upon some cat food in our local supermarket that was a pate, and Ollie loved it. Bowl licked clean and everything.

@Missey, Sheba, Fancy Feast, and Friskies are three reasonably-costing, reasonable quality wet foods that you can find in the US. I believe they offer all the variations (sauce, jelly, gravy, pate) so you might need to search or order online for the pate or terrine style.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Missey, Sheba, Fancy Feast, and Friskies are three reasonably-costing, reasonable quality wet foods that you can find in the US. I believe they offer all the variations (sauce, jelly, gravy, pate) so you might need to search or order online for the pate or terrine style.
The Ladies get only pate foods. Friskies makes enough flavors that it is easy to give them a different flavor every meal for 5 days. I buy mine at Walmart Supercenter, but have to drive over 40 miles to get the variety. So I go once a month and buy 60 cans at a time.

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish mine would eat pate foods. NO luck.It's Fancy Feast Classic "anything" with gravy.

lahainakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How can i turn my can cat food into to all gravy? someone on here said she got a $12 chopper thinging, but what is that please?. I need help my cat is driving me crazy, he just had teeth pulled this week i hope he changes, the poor thing didnt eat for so many days before wew got to the vet. alohas thank you 

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the chopper thing is a Magic-bullet type blender they bought at Wal-Mart for $12. Any sort of blender or hand-blender will do for cat food. Also, Soulistic brand at Petco has gravy cans that have loads of gravy to them. My gravy-loving boys love them!

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just re-read your post -- poor baby! Please see if he'll eat the meat-only baby food mentioned in the previous comments. It's not good for a cat to go days without eating!