Anyone else deal with feline herpes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joseyjinx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has feline herpes. As a kitten (long before I had him), he had a really bad outbreak and ended up with bad ulcers covering his eyes that wouldn't heal and had to be removed. His eyes are chronically goopy as a result of missing part of each eye. He has started taking l lysine recently since he was having drainage and swelling in one of his eyes again. After taking it for a week all his symptoms are gone again.
Poor baby! How is his vision if you don't mind me asking?

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope ocular feline herpes is not as excruciating as herpes keratitis is in humans. I had it thirty years ago and it was the most horrible pain I have ever felt in my life. Even the smell of food cooking was painful and I had to have my eyes patched for two weeks.

That being said, I found that outbreaks came fewer and fewer over the years and good nutrition and overall health really helped. It must be similar in cats too, better health means fewer outbreaks.

Hope everyone's cats who has this insidious disease gets well very soon and never has to experience it again!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! How is his vision if you don't mind me asking?
He seems to see well overall. He has some depth perception problems and will sometimes push his hand to far into my hand when he's getting petted, but is capable of compensating so he can jump up on things without problem and acts completely normal most of the time. He seems to have more of a problem in the dark as he tends to run into things if he is playing with my other cat.

troub95

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the lysine really work? Has anyone tried colloidal silver to treat feline herpes?

My Ruby's eyes do the same thing as @mandie  baby. She had bloodwork done yesterday and we are waiting for the results. The vet did mention that it could possibly be feline herpes.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise