Anybody seen Paranormal Activity?

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE
Now I finally got a chance to see Paranormal Activity and I have to say... NO. I agree with Utopia that it was a very long, drawn out, ridiculous movie. The ONLY semi-creepy part was the whole getting up out of bed and staring at her hubby for like 3 hours.

I think it would have been a much creepier movie if they would have made the camera work more "amature" and not so professional and in that way it would have seemed more like a home movie than a professionally cut movie.

All in all it seemed very fake and I wasn't impressed at all. I can't believe this is the so-called "scariest movie in america" right now.[/quote]

I totally agree!!! This was the WORST horror movie I have ever seen. I got angry at how silly and ridiculous some of it was. The guy totally did stuff on purpose and its his fault that things got worse. He was told not to do something and he did!

My Husband liked it...but I thought it was boring and bad.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just saw it, and can't think of when I've been more disappointed. Oh wait, yes I can, it was District 9. But I digress...

It had the principal component that I think is essential in a horror movie; limited number of settings, few actors, everything just small in scale, to add to the claustrophobic feel that makes everything that much scarier.

Problem was, I didn't give a rip about either of the actors. There just wasn't dialogue outside the pale of the scary stuff to get to know or care about them. Regardless what you thought about each of the actors in, say, Blair Witch, you at least developed an opinion about them, based on dialogue and behavior in a number of situations. AllI saw in PA was a whiner and a jerk. Bland stereotypes.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

PA also lost me a bit when they saw the footprints, and they seemed reptillian or something. And when they found that picture of her in the attic; there was just too much "evidence" that took some of the creepiness away. And where Blair witch had sort of a "What the hell?!?!" ending that leapt out at you, this one just seemed hokey.

I'm just so disappointed in movies lately. I forget them almost immediately; nothing resonates with me anymore.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just rented "The Legend of Hell House", which was made in 1973, I think. It was a story written by Richard Mathison (I am Legend). I thought it was incredibly creepy! As far as possession/ghost type movies go, it was the creepiest I've seen yet. I actually liked it better than The Exorcist.