Anybody seen Paranormal Activity?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw it last night. Pretty good! It drags a little at the beginning, but overall I liked it. SCARY! Now I get scared pretty easy, so don't know if I'm a good judge of that!

I think they spent only $11,000 to make the movie. It's pretty impressive cinematically. It's kind of Blair Witch Project like in the fact that it's all set up as a "home movie". However, when most of the action happens the camera is stationary so you don't get any of that "Oh if that camera doesn't stop moving I'm going to throw up".

I definitely had trouble sleeping last night. Of course having three cats making "creepy" noises all night didn't help,
!

If you're a scary movie fan I would recommend it!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I am a big fan of the horror genre, but I much prefer creepy over gory, and this fits the bill.

As you and a lot of the critics have pointed out, it's impressive how a new filmmaker can, for under $15K, make a movie that's better than many of the big-budget films. I hope some of the big studios are paying attention.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's got some seriously bad reviews/comments on watch-movies website but I trust you guys more so I'm loading it up right now and about to give it a go.

I love horror movies!!!

I went to see the StepFather remake the other night, THAT was a good movie too!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really liked it. It was genuinely creepy. It was not the scariest movie I've ever seen by a long shot, but it was pretty darned creepy! I liked the characters in this one, unlike Blair Witch. I couldn't stand any of the Blair Witch characters. They all made me want to scream- and not because I was afraid!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to go see it.I LOVE bloody gore movies,but adore scary ones too.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched it and I thought it was soo retarded and not even close to creepy. Half of the stuff that happened was not even something that would catch my attention, if it happened to me. Like, the character Katie waking up in the middle of the night by some noise and acting all creeped out and trying to figure out what's going on- come on let's face it, in reality, anyone being awakened by a random small noise like that would just go right back to sleep...And it was so obviously fictitious, you'd have to be really naive to believe that footage of the death of a couple would be released like that from police!! I like creepy but this was just not cutting it for me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Supposedly the director was influenced by odd things happening in his own home - but yes, the movie is fake stuff.

As for small noises, a lot of people get used to the regular sounds that are in their home at night. This is how people will hear someone break in or something wrong with a child in the middle of the night. The slightest cat noise instantly has me awake.
With real hauntings it's not all big stuff - it's little things, like unexplained noises, smells, small things getting moved, and shadows out of the corner of your eye. All it takes is a little noise or voice to wake someone up when they've already had something making them uneasy.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As for small noises, a lot of people get used to the regular sounds that are in their home at night. This is how people will hear someone break in or something wrong with a child in the middle of the night. The slightest cat noise instantly has me awake.
With real hauntings it's not all big stuff - it's little things, like unexplained noises, smells, small things getting moved, and shadows out of the corner of your eye. All it takes is a little noise or voice to wake someone up when they've already had something making them uneasy.
All kinds of stuff like that has happened to me. Until I was about 15 I slept with a teddy bear, lol sad, I know- but on many occasions I woke up with the teddy bear put away in my dresser and neither my parents nor anyone I asked claimed to have moved it from me, because I slept holding it lol. I was so creeped out, and one night I woke up and in the middle of the night there were dark green shadows coming out of the wall and moving on the floor...Again, I was creeped out. But, I just went back to sleep and chose to ignore it all. And it just stopped happening as often and now all I hear is a random odd noise or a door open here and there when it shouldn't
But I ignore that too, even if I do get awaken by it I just go straight back to sleep. This is normal human behavior to me, not getting a camera out and trying to figure out what it is, because no matter how hard u try to figure it out, chances are you won't. I guess the fact that they tried so hard to find out what's going on really contributed to me seeing it as fake.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen or heard of it, will it be available in England? I am a big fan of the Saw movies but now I have watched them all I am more into the storyline than to watch the gory bits lol.x

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruthyb, I had a hard time watching the first ten minutes of Saw VI- that was gross!!! I couldn't figure out why the guy chose that particular pound of flesh.

I love scary movies though! I was surprised at how many people said Paranormal Activity was the scariest movie they had ever seen.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

Ruthyb, I had a hard time watching the first ten minutes of Saw VI- that was gross!!! I couldn't figure out why the guy chose that particular pound of flesh.

I love scary movies though! I was surprised at how many people said Paranormal Activity was the scariest movie they had ever seen.
You really have to watch Saw from the first film as there is a good storyline and then you see through the gore, I can't wait for saw 6 to be released on dvd to get to the next part of the story.x

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I own the first five Saw movies and I love them- the first few minutes of this new one were just extra gross! I'm not saying I didn't like it
I just had to avert my eyes a couple of times. This one was a pretty good advertisement for universal health care. : )

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also own the first five Saw movies. They are my favorite! I just got to watch Saw 6 the other day and I thought it was a great edition to the Saw series.
All insurance companies should be made to watch that movie.

Now I finally got a chance to see Paranormal Activity and I have to say... NO. I agree with Utopia that it was a very long, drawn out, ridiculous movie. The ONLY semi-creepy part was the whole getting up out of bed and staring at her hubby for like 3 hours.

I think it would have been a much creepier movie if they would have made the camera work more "amature" and not so professional and in that way it would have seemed more like a home movie than a professionally cut movie.

All in all it seemed very fake and I wasn't impressed at all. I can't believe this is the so-called "scariest movie in america" right now.

tiberius709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard soooo many good things about this movie and definitely want to see it!

I love scary/horror/thriller movies but haven't seen any really good ones lately. Going to try out Orphan.. kid movies creep me out! lol

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiberius709

I have heard soooo many good things about this movie and definitely want to see it!

I love scary/horror/thriller movies but haven't seen any really good ones lately. Going to try out Orphan.. kid movies creep me out! lol
Orphan was an AMAZING movie. Not really scary, but it was a great psychological thriller.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was terrified by this movie. Not because it was sooo soo creepy but because you imagine that these things can happen to anyone and to me, that is what makes it terrifying.

I was not able to have a sound sleep last night, I kept waking up and trying to hear noises

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to see the movie. The trailer creeped me out enough.

Run of the mill blood and guts horror movies do nothing for me, except make me yawn. Slasher movies are just boring. Blair Witch was mildly creepy but The Ring bothered me for some reason. The Saw series is mostly good and interesting but doesn't freak me out.

After seeing the trailer for Paranormal Activity, I'm taking a pass on watching the whole movie. I value my nightmare free sleep.