Any love for the music made between 1965 and 1975?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born not long after the time period mentioned, but I always loved this music. The oldies station - I grew up on that. I love almost all kinds of music, but the music from that time frame holds a soft spot for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

???? I wasn't into those bands so I'm not really sure of the category they would be considered for.
What bands were you into?. I've heard the term garage rock a lot.. I've googled it, and the list of bands is endless. Any way, the Kinks greatest hit is "You really got me" (later covered by Van Halen).

The Trashmen's biggest hit is "Surfin Bird" (a weird sort of a "novelty hit" later covered by the Ramones, and featured in the movie "Full metal Jacket").

And the VU is a cult band. Not too many people know about them,

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all remember Martha and the Vandellas?  Jimmy Mack was one of my faves!  LOVED that song!  Still do. :)  I think this was around '67 or '68?

And heck I might as well say it, I liked the Partridge Family too.  I was only 10 in 1970 when their show was on.  I liked a number of their songs.  I didn't even realize at the time that they were based on another favorite of mine The Cowsills.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all remember Martha and the Vandellas?  Jimmy Mack was one of my faves!  LOVED that song!  Still do. :)  I think this was around '67 or '68?

And heck I might as well say it, I liked the Partridge Family too.  I was only 10 in 1970 when their show was on.  I liked a number of their songs.  I didn't even realize at the time that they were based on another favorite of mine The Cowsills.
Oooooh yes, "Dancing in the Street" and "Nowhere to Run" are my faves by Martha and the Vandellas!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooooh yes, "Dancing in the Street" and "Nowhere to Run" are my faves by Martha and the Vandellas!
I'd forgotten about Dancing in the Street!  Yes LOVE that one too.  Such a talented group of ladies!  Man, I'm going to have to spend a little money at iTunes, lol.  I think when you get older your brain has to dump some data and files, and some songs go with it unfortunately. 

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was born not long after the time period mentioned, but I always loved this music. The oldies station - I grew up on that. I love almost all kinds of music, but the music from that time frame holds a soft spot for me.
I was born in this period. I grew up listening to Elton John, Zepplin, Sabbath, Genesis, Yes, Earth Wind & Fire, Boston, Journey, Styx.(my older sibling's favorite bands). Besides metal, I never cared much about the music from the 80s. I felt that "something" was missing in it. Then I found a "best of all time" album list, replete with '60's and early '70's releases, and the rest is history

Last edited:

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'd forgotten about Dancing in the Street!  Yes LOVE that one too.  Such a talented group of ladies!  Man, I'm going to have to spend a little money at iTunes, lol.  I think when you get older your brain has to dump some data and files, and some songs go with it unfortunately. 
They are very famous. Is it the same song that Mick Jagger and David Bowie recorded in the '80s?. I think I should chek out the original.

Last edited:

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

What bands were you into?. I've heard the term garage rock a lot.. I've googled it, and the list of bands is endless. Any way, the Kinks greatest hit is "You really got me" (later covered by Van Halen).

The Trashmen's biggest hit is "Surfin Bird" (a weird sort of a "novelty hit" later covered by the Ramones, and featured in the movie "Full metal Jacket").

And the VU is a cult band. Not too many people know about them,
I know about the bands & have heard them, I just don't have any cds by them. Well I take that back, I do have a greatest hits by The Kinks & I forgot but I do have a Velvet Underground one as well. When I talk 60's garage bands, I mean The Animals, 13th Floor Elevators, ? and the Mysterians, Blues Magoos, Chocolate Watch Band, The Grass Roots, Love, MC5, Shadows of Knight, the Standells. I do like & listen to the more popular bands like Booker T & The MG's, The Byrds, Cream, The Stooges, The Monkees, The Moody Blues, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Steppenwolf.

I'm also into 50's music too. I didn't really get into the 70's so much besides the heavy hitters - Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Van Halen, Rush, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac.

I grew up in the 80's & the 80's sound will always be my favorite. You just can't beat those great dance tunes with the synthesizer!

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I know about the bands & have heard them, I just don't have any cds by them. Well I take that back, I do have a greatest hits by The Kinks & I forgot but I do have a Velvet Underground one as well. When I talk 60's garage bands, I mean The Animals, 13th Floor Elevators, ? and the Mysterians, Blues Magoos, Chocolate Watch Band, The Grass Roots, Love, MC5, Shadows of Knight, the Standells. I do like & listen to the more popular bands like Booker T & The MG's, The Byrds, Cream, The Stooges, The Monkees, The Moody Blues, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Steppenwolf.

I'm also into 50's music too. I didn't really get into the 70's so much besides the heavy hitters - Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Van Halen, Rush, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac.

I grew up in the 80's & the 80's sound will always be my favorite. You just can't beat those great dance tunes with the synthesizer!
Thanks..

The '50s: Chuck Berry!.

The MC5 and the Stooges: They are sitll iinspiring youg musicians today. I really, really like The Stooges' "Raw Power" album, particularly."Search and Destroy".

The Byrds::I love The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" (very psychedelic!).

Cream: their live performances of "N.S.U.". Ginger Baker and the late Jack Bruce are my favorite Cream members.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, YES ! One of the best decades in music ! I could list all the bands I liked back then, but it might be boring. Besides, at my age, I'm not sure I could recall that many. But I'll start with ELP ( RIP Kiieth Emerson ), Yes ( Fragile the best ! ), Clover, Sly and the Family Stone, Airplane/Starship, Sound Hole/Air Play, Seals and Crofts, Clover, wait, I AM making a list... Sorry...but yes, music was my lifeline during those years - Jr. High and High School.
I only heard about Keith Emerson passing so tragically a few weeks ago.  I'm so sorry.  What a musical talent he was.  I just heard From The Beginning today on my iPod.  He will be missed.  I will never forget his Moog solo on Lucky Man.  

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I only heard about Keith Emerson passing so tragically a few weeks ago.  I'm so sorry.  What a musical talent he was.  I just heard From The Beginning today on my iPod.  He will be missed.  I will never forget his Moog solo on Lucky Man.  
Very sad. He struggled for years with a nerve damage that imparied hs playing, and with anxiety/depression. RIP. I really like "Take a Pebble".. It  has a lot going on: beautiful balladry by Lake, acoustic folk, and Emerson's classical and jazz improvisations on acoustic piano.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Very sad. He struggled for years with a nerve damage that imparied hs playing, and with anxiety/depression. RIP. I really like "Take a Pebble".. It  has a lot going on: beautiful balladry by Lake, acoustic folk, and Emerson's classical and jazz improvisations on acoustic piano.
I also heard he received some very unkind, rude comments like "just retire already" and even worse on social media, and that it really hurt him.  I hope those low-life people aren't the reason why he chose to end his life.  I'd heard he was very concerned about an upcoming performance in Japan also.  

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I also heard he received some very unkind, rude comments like "just retire already" and even worse on social media, and that it really hurt him.  I hope those low-life people aren't the reason why he chose to end his life.  I'd heard he was very concerned about an upcoming performance in Japan also.  
Yes. he was very anxious for that upcoming performance. He I belive sufferd from this concert related anxiety for years.

There are lots of people that say/write things withut thinking, literally.They must express whatever comes out, no matter who they offend and hurt. I absolutely detest that. Thst's why I'm not particularly active on social media.

I you don't like a record, don'r listen to it again. If you're unhappy with a concert, just get out. But please don't flame the artist. That's too low and too easy. The people who flame artists usually risk nothing. They do not practice and rehearse for hours an hours every day. They do not make the effort (nor take the risk) of writing and recording new music. They dont t perform extenuaning concerts, night after night, for months.

Last edited:

birdytoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. I also love Take a Pebble and Jerusalem, which is an actual hymn. The instrumental on Karn Evil 9 was so incredible I had a whole scenario in my head of two spaceships fighting. I think that's the song I'm thinking about. And Nutrocker ! TSO actually played thT in their holiday concert a few years ago.

birdytoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How sad. I heard it was because he had MS and his playing ability was eroding. Whoever flamed him should watch out. What goes around comes around.

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How sad. I heard it was because he had MS and his playing ability was eroding. Whoever flamed him should watch out. What goes around comes around.
Welcome to the site, Birdytoes.

No matter what people say, he is regarded as the best rock keyboardist of all time. Period.