Any love for the music made between 1965 and 1975?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Harry Chapin did a song called  'Cats In the Cradle'  that I really liked.  It was released the  year I graduated from high school.
This song is included in the RIAA's "Songs of the Century" list. I Must check it out

Last edited:

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

65-75 was a golden age. 
Not only in popular music, but also in jazz!. Many bold jazz musicians flourished in this period (Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clarke, John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola).

Purists might not like them. Each one to his own :).

Oh, I forgot to mention Pink Floyd in my list (The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, Meddle, The Dark Side of The Moon, Wish You Were Here).

Last edited:

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It was a golden age. Some of my favorites were:

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Dionne Warwick

Janis Joplin

Petula Clark

Dolly Parton

Barry Manilow

Willie Nelson

Johnny Cash
You are the second poster that mentions Petula Clark. She's very well known,, but I've never heard anything from her. I will check out her music

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You are the second poster that mentions Petula Clark. She's very well known,, but I've never heard anything from her. I will check out her music
Petula Clark is a British singer and I believe she started out in l964 with the hit song "Downtown" which I think was her best. She had many hits in the 60's and the 70's.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Petula Clark is a British singer and I believe she started out in l964 with the hit song "Downtown" which I think was her best. She had many hits in the 60's and the 70's.
Didn't she sing the title song for the movie 'To Sir With Love'.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Didn't she sing the title song for the movie 'To Sir With Love'.
No, she did not.. I forget who sang that song... I can picture her in my mind.. a woman with a 'flip' hair style...

Got it... LuLu sang "To Sir With Love".... I have a memory for useless information...lol.

I love this thread.. brings back such good memories of music from my youth.. remember all these songs, singers, and songwriters.. 

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Ian Gillan had a terrrific voice indeed. Recently I saw a 1970 footage where they were performing "Child in Time" live for a British TV channel. Gillan perectly nailed all the high notes, in tune, and while that happend, the camera showed a kid in the crowd wirh his mouth wide open, in complete awe.

Their "Deep Purple In Rock" album, Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" and Led Zeppelin IV, are regarded as the "Holy Trinity" of all things hard rock and heavy metal, I own the four albums Mark 2 made and love them all. Too bad Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore couldn´t stand each other.

If my favorite artist Bob Dylan admires Gordon Lightfoot then I must check out his music
Ahhh, but you know.......Blackmore's Rainbow was awesome in its own right. They started right around 1975 or so. I love Temple of the King and Catch the Rainbow. The Rainbow Rising album is outstanding. That was an excellent band. And I love Man on the Silver Mountain.

I really like Deep Purple in Rock, but was always more of a Fireball fan. And, of course, Machine Head. I still have Fireball and Black Knight on my iPod. 

Last edited:

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ahhh, but you know.......Blackmore's Rainbow was awesome in its own right. They started right around 1975 or so. I love Temple of the King and Catch the Rainbow. The Rainbow Rising album is outstanding. That was an excellent band. And I love Man on the Silver Mountain.

I really like Deep Purple in Rock, but was always more of a Fireball fan. And, of course, Machine Head. I still have Fireball and Black Knight on my iPod. 
Yes!. While in High School, I listened to a nightly metal radio show before going to sleep (with headphones, of course). One night, they played a terrific, epic Rainbow song (with Ronnie James Dio) that I really liked, but the DJ didn't mention any song name.

The track has a "galloping" guitar riff a la "Hard Loving Man". I would be very grateful if you could help me Identfy this song (and the respective album). 

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Yes!. While in High School, I listened to a nightly metal radio show before going to sleep (with headphones, of course). One night, they played a terrific, epic Rainbow song (with Ronnie James Dio) that I really liked, but the DJ didn't mention any song name.

The track has a "galloping" guitar riff a la "Hard Loving Man". I would be very grateful if you could help me Identfy this song (and the respective album). 
I'll ask my DH. He knows a lot about the music from that era, especially the harder rock. He was a big Rainbow fan. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I particularly love Fleetwood Mac's "Landlslide".... it's about Stevie Nicks' serious existential dilemma at the time. It's written in a very delicatle and subtle way, but its lyrics tell a very serious story.
I didn't know the story behind it.  In a live version, Stevie dedicated this song to her dad.  It's one of my favorites too.  

I love everytihing Yes released between 1971 and 1977. You´re right, their versión of America was recorded in '72 by their most beloved line up. 

"Scarborough Fair/Canticle" is the opening track from Simon & Garfunkel's 1966 album "Paisley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme". This album, "Bookends" (1968), which includes the original version of "America", and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (1970) are perfect albums, from the first song to the last. Check them out
Yes was a bit too progressive for my taste although I dearly love Roundabout - one of my all-time favorites.  I oddly liked Total Mass Retain on their Close To The Edge album.  I still get the feeling I might better appreciate this album if I was a wee bit high while listening.  Lol.  All the musicians in the '72 lineup were incredibly talented.

I also liked Gordon Lightfoot and Jim Croce.  I think Gordon Lightfoot is actually still touring.
I just LOVED Jim Croce and Gordon Lightfoot.  Jim was an incredible singer/songwriter with a whole slew of hits behind him before he was sadly killed in that plane crash in '73.  Too soon.  I always wondered how many more tunes we missed out on because of his untimely death.  

I've heard that Gordon Lightfoot changed some of the lyrics to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald because of complaints.  This is one of my favorites of his.  Chilling!  Very sad story.  

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Linsdey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks recodred an album in 1973 called Buckingham/Nicks. It contains an early versión of "Crystal".

It was a commercial failure and the record label dropped them soon afterwards. They also bagan to argue and fight at the time.

She was devasted and was seriouly thinking about leaving the music business for good.

"Landslide" reflects all this situation. It was written in Colorado, and that's probably why she writes about "snow covered hills" and "landslides".

Many fans have requested, time and time again, the reissue of the now rare Bukingham/Nicks album. I'd love to hear it too. 

Last edited:

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You bet! That was a pivotal time for bands that I listen to, I'm more into the garage, psychadelic sound & that's when they were making music. There's no sound like that now a days, they try, but it's just not the same.

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I didn't know the story behind it.  In a live version, Stevie dedicated this song to her dad.  It's one of my favorites too.  

Yes was a bit too progressive for my taste although I dearly love Roundabout - one of my all-time favorites.  I oddly liked Total Mass Retain on their Close To The Edge album.  I still get the feeling I might better appreciate this album if I was a wee bit high while listening.  Lol.  All the musicians in the '72 lineup were incredibly talented.

I just LOVED Jim Croce and Gordon Lightfoot.  Jim was an incredible singer/songwriter with a whole slew of hits behind him before he was sadly killed in that plane crash in '73.  Too soon.  I always wondered how many more tunes we missed out on because of his untimely death.  

I've heard that Gordon Lightfoot changed some of the lyrics to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald because of complaints.  This is one of my favorites of his.  Chilling!  Very sad story.  
Progressive Bands other tan Genesis, Jehtro Tull and Yes are "too proggy" for my taste

Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) is a terrific songwriter.

The traits that set Yes apart from other prog rock acts, are their wonderful vocal harmonies, and their brigth, sunny melodies (Ronduabout is a perfect exmaple)

And Genesis' '71-'74 line up included Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. Enough said.

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You bet! That was a pivotal time for bands that I listen to, I'm more into the garage, psychadelic sound & that's when they were making music. There's no sound like that now a days, they try, but it's just not the same.
Sorry for the silly question, but are bands like "The Kinks", "The Thrashmen" and "The Velvet Underground", considered as garage rock bands?.

Last edited:

birdytoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg, YES ! One of the best decades in music ! I could list all the bands I liked back then, but it might be boring. Besides, at my age, I'm not sure I could recall that many. But I'll start with ELP ( RIP Kiieth Emerson ), Yes ( Fragile the best ! ), Clover, Sly and the Family Stone, Airplane/Starship, Sound Hole/Air Play, Seals and Crofts, Clover, wait, I AM making a list... Sorry...but yes, music was my lifeline during those years - Jr. High and High School.

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg, YES ! One of the best decades in music ! I could list all the bands I liked back then, but it might be boring. Besides, at my age, I'm not sure I could recall that many. But I'll start with ELP ( RIP Kiieth Emerson ), Yes ( Fragile the best ! ), Clover, Sly and the Family Stone, Airplane/Starship, Sound Hole/Air Play, Seals and Crofts, Clover, wait, I AM making a list... Sorry...but yes, music was my lifeline during those years - Jr. High and High School.
Sly and the Family Stone!

I told you so. The list in my original post is very short and very incomplete

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sorry for the silly question, but are bands like "The Kinks", "The Thrashmen" and "The Velvet Underground", considered as garage rock bands?.
???? I wasn't into those bands so I'm not really sure of the category they would be considered for.