Any information on Terramycin Ointment?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midnight is being treated for an eye infection. I have 3 medicines to give him:
Terramycin Ointment. Viralys. Clavamox.

I did find a website that had side effects for Terramycin Ointment. It said that it may be fatal to cats. It also said this shouldn't be used with another eye medicine. Viralys is another eye cream. Should I be giving these meds to Midnight? The vet who prescribed these meds for him, wasn't his regular vet. She was on vacation. Should I talk to his regular vet first?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, talk to his regular vet, especially since one of the side effects is death. I gave that stuff to my cat with no problems, but I also wasn't mixing medications. One more day of no eye drops won't make that big of a difference in the long term.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Yes, talk to his regular vet, especially since one of the side effects is death. I gave that stuff to my cat with no problems, but I also wasn't mixing medications. One more day of no eye drops won't make that big of a difference in the long term.
My father is trying to contact Midnight's vet right now.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Terramycin deadly for cats? That's the first time I hear... I guess if your cat is allergic to it, but then you would know already - swelling, etc... But remember, Cats can be allergic to a lot of stuff, this goes to any drug.
Terramycin is actually a great medication; I have been using it for a long time and have it handy for anytime I have an eye infection on any of my kitties... In most states it is not even prescription anymore, in fact, it is just a prescription in California. I am not scared at all of using it

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've use Terramycin with great success on my cats. Never had any problems with it at all. As far as I know, Viralys is a supplement that you add to food. It's actually Lysine and is used to help strengthen the immune system. Clavamox is an antibiotic and used to treat an infection. I've given it as pills, liquid, and pill treat form.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

it is just a prescription in California
Haha thats the first time I've heard of something being more restricted in California than other states.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, Terramycin deadly for cats? That's the first time I hear... I guess if your cat is allergic to it, but then you would know already - swelling, etc... But remember, Cats can be allergic to a lot of stuff, this goes to any drug.
Terramycin is actually a great medication; I have been using it for a long time and have it handy for anytime I have an eye infection on any of my kitties... In most states it is not even prescription anymore, in fact, it is just a prescription in California. I am not scared at all of using it
That's what it said, when using another eye medication, or if the cat is allergic. The other med I was given is Viralys, and I couldn't find any side effects of that med at all.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I've use Terramycin with great success on my cats. Never had any problems with it at all. As far as I know, Viralys is a supplement that you add to food. It's actually Lysine and is used to help strengthen the immune system. Clavamox is an antibiotic and used to treat an infection. I've given it as pills, liquid, and pill treat form.
The Viaralys they said was like a cream, but you put it on can food. The Clavamox is in liquid form. I just wish Midnight's regular vet saw him she's good she explains each med, she gives written instructions on how to give them. This 1 just told us what we had to do with each, didn't write it down, nothing for us to follow, so we're trying to get in touch with Midnight's regular vet. And we're still waiting to hear whether or not he as a UTI.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

The Viaralys they said was like a cream, but you put it on can food. The Clavamox is in liquid form. I just wish Midnight's regular vet saw him she's good she explains each med, she gives written instructions on how to give them. This 1 just told us what we had to do with each, didn't write it down, nothing for us to follow, so we're trying to get in touch with Midnight's regular vet. And we're still waiting to hear whether or not he as a UTI.
Viralys is not a medication, it is an L-Lysine supplement to help with the herpes virus, which is usually the cause for cats URIs. Clavamox is probably for the UTI, or if he has a secondary infection from the URI. Terramycin is for the eye infection.

If he has herpes, it is actually a good thing to be on L-Lysine all the time, for life - all my cats are... But Viralys is too expensive, so I buy pure Lysine in powder, and put it into their water fountain or their wet food (in Gracie's case, who doesn't drink from the fountain).

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Viralys is not a medication, it is an L-Lysine supplement to help with the herpes virus, which is usually the cause for cats URIs. Clavamox is probably for the UTI, or if he has a secondary infection from the URI. Terramycin is for the eye infection.

If he has herpes, it is actually a good thing to be on L-Lysine all the time, for life - all my cats are... But Viralys is too expensive, so I buy pure Lysine in powder, and put it into their water fountain or their wet food (in Gracie's case, who doesn't drink from the fountain).
Ok hold on this vet didn't say anything about herpes? How would Midnight get that? Is that what he has?

Now you can see how confused we are because the vet went through the directions super fast, and didn't write anything down. She went through the explanations very fast to. I guess our regular vet will call us tomorrow. We tried to get in touch with her to late today.

Also Midnight is 4 months old, is he to young for UTI's? That's what the vet said. She's just treating him incase he does have 1. The tests haven't come back yet. She also x-rayed him for kidney problems, but his kidneys are fine.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Also Midnight is 4 months old, is he to young for UTI's? That's what the vet said. She's just treating him incase he does have 1. The tests haven't come back yet. She also x-rayed him for kidney problems, but his kidneys are fine.
Hum..... I would wait for the test.... But then I am traumatized... See... Bugsy has had Diarrhea for the last 60 days, since the 1st day he went on Clavamox for his UTI. I would not give Clavamox " Just because"... If the results are in tomorrow, I say - wait. Clavamox is a good drug, but a lot of kitties have serious problems with it. Do not give it lightly.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok hold on this vet didn't say anything about herpes? How would Midnight get that? Is that what he has?
The herpes virus in cats is one of the main causes of URIs. Did he come from a shelter or rescue? If so, it is estimated that up to 75% of the shelter cats in the US might have the virus... Most of them have the immune-system strong enough to not have issues the majority of their lives... In times of stress they might develop URIs though. It is usually easily manged with daily doses of L-Lysine, and keeping the stress levels down. Lysine does a fantastic job.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Often, the eye infection is indicative of feline herpes. Almost every cat has been exposed to the herpes virus, but most are well enough to fight it off and not become permanently infected. However, for some kitties, especially ones who are extremely malnourished and not cared for properly early in life or who have underlying illnesses that go untreated become affected for life. My Hannah has herpes, but she's doing great now. It's incurable, but can be managed and the kitty can lead a long, good life.

I've given Clavamox with no bad side effects to both of my girls previously. If the vet suspects an underlying infection with the eye or if she suspects a UTI or URI, then it's best to go ahead and start the medication.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said he is too young to have an UTI, so I think the vet doesn't suspect this is an UTI...
To the OP: what are the symptoms, and why do you think he has an UTI? When are the test results back?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hum..... I would wait for the test.... But then I am traumatized... See... Bugsy has had Diarrhea for the last 60 days, since the 1st day he went on Clavamox for his UTI. I would not give Clavamox " Just because"... If the results are in tomorrow, I say - wait. Clavamox is a good drug, but a lot of kitties have serious problems with it. Do not give it lightly.
My father just read what you wrote. He agrees we won't give Midnight Clavamox until we get the results of his UTI back.

Wow poor Bugsy!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The vet said he is too young to have an UTI, so I think the vet doesn't suspect this is an UTI...
To the OP: what are the symptoms, and why do you think he has an UTI? When are the test results back?
Midnight drinks a ton of water. He'll drink all the water in the bowl in less than an hour. I fill the bowl to the top. He's done that a few times. He's always drinking. He'll even jump onto the table to get our glasses of water. Luna drinks water, but not like that. He does have a ton of energy. He's always in motion. Maybe that's what makes him thirsty?

Midnight pees a lot. He's always in the litter box peeing. We have a very hard time cleaning his pee. It's not like cleaning our other cats. You have to really dig in order to clean his pee. It like goes right to the bottom of the box.

Midnight will meow when he pees. Not a scream. But he does meow when he pees.

These are the things I told that vet on Saturday. That's why she tested for a UTI, even though she said 4 months old was to young.

The test results should be back tomorrow. She told us it would either be Monday or Tuesday.

This also made her think something was wrong with his kidneys, but the x-ray showed his kidneys, liver, and stomach are fine.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The herpes virus in cats is one of the main causes of URIs. Did he come from a shelter or rescue? If so, it is estimated that up to 75% of the shelter cats in the US might have the virus... Most of them have the immune-system strong enough to not have issues the majority of their lives... In times of stress they might develop URIs though. It is usually easily manged with daily doses of L-Lysine, and keeping the stress levels down. Lysine does a fantastic job.
Midnight came from a farm. The cat mother tried to move the kittens, we think maybe the owners spooked her by touching the kittens. Only when she moved them something went wrong. All 4 of them got lost. Some how Midnight managed to get to my mother's friend's house which is a neighboring farm. She said she heard Midnight screaming in the a.m. hours. She said she got him inside, she looked for any other kittens but there were none. The original owners said they just woke up 1 day the kittens were gone, the mother cat was there.

My mother's friend knew we wanted a kitten to occupy Luna and keep her away from
Lynxx
. She knew we wanted one 8 weeks or older. She told us Midnight was either 5 or 6 weeks old. We took him not realizing how young he really was. Midnight was actually 3 weeks old. The original owners did come to their neighbors asking if any of the kittens were found. They wanted these kittens. But we already had him for about 3 weeks at this time. She did tell them that she found Midnight and gave him to us. They didn't fight her or us. They just said they were glad to know at least 1 of those kittens got to a good home.

We did bring Midnight to our vet the very next day because he had ear mites. That vet said he thought maybe Midnight was a little younger than 6 weeks. He checked Midnight over said Midnight was fine.

Now I don't know if that vet really did do the FIV and Leukemia test. We got away from that vet when he did nothing for
Lynxx
and when we read the reviews of him online.

What also happened to us on Saturday was the vet told us that Midnight was never tested for FIV and Leukemia. I told her he was. I was there when he was tested. That original vet showed us the device that tells them if he's positive or negative. My mother paid for that test. This vet showed us Midnight's records and there was no record of him ever having those tests. I described the device to this vet and she didn't know what I was talking about, and never seen a device like I described. We had her redue the FIV and Leukemia test. Midnight doesn't have either. We did have a hard time getting them to send over Midnight's records. They had no trouble sending over
Lynxx
and Luna's. Not only did we have to keep calling them, this hospital had to keep calling them as well.

We think a lot of Midnight's problems are he was away from his cat mother to earlier. If we had known he was only 3 weeks old, we would have done things differently. We'd have asked our vet to help us. Not that he'd have been much help considering he didn't help
Lynxx

I do believe my mother's friend knew he was only 3 weeks old. She works for a rescue group she's around cats all the time. But she was determined not to keep Midnight. She wanted Midnight to have a home by that night because she wasn't going to keep him, and she didn't want her little girl getting attached to him. I guess they already have to many cats as it is.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Midnight drinks a ton of water.

Midnight pees a lot.

Midnight will meow when he pees.
If he drinks a lot, he will pee a lot... Does he eat mostly dry food? The more dry food he eats, the more water he will drink. If he eats more dry food than the other cats, it might be the reason why he drinks more then them. Lucky, my cat who eats all dry, drinks a LOT more than Hope and Bugsy who eat a 50/50 wet and dry. Really noticeable...

What do you mean by he pees a lot? does he go a lot to the box and doesn't pees? or he actually pee? Can you see his pee? is it a regular size pee? Forget that is goes to the bottom of the box - if you can make it round, what size is it? Can you see a stream of pee coming out? can you hear pee coming out when he goes to the box? Basically, what I am asking is, is he going to the box a lot but NOT peeing, or is he actually peeing a lot?

Usually cats with UTI will be going to the box all the time trying to pee, but they can't so you just see these little tiny pees, the size of a dime... and the kitty jumping in and out, in and out, in and out... I mean - jump out, jump in again- over and over. They strain... You can see them in there, trying hard to pee, turning around on the box to see if anything came out... If your cat is peeing normally and not going in and out of the box straining to pee, I would not have a reason to worry about UTI... I might be completely wrong, but I would wait for the test results.

some cats sometimes will call their people when they go to the box - Bugsy has this habit... Not all the time, but sometimes he wants company... What can I say?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In times of stress they might develop URIs though. It is usually easily manged with daily doses of L-Lysine, and keeping the stress levels down. Lysine does a fantastic job.
I don't know what stress Midnight could possibly have? Things have been stressful for me because of all that happened to
Lynxx
and then watching
Lynxx
die. I don't think that stressed Midnight out. Midnight and
Lynxx
weren't friends. Midnight annoyed
Lynxx
every chance he got. Except that last night. Midnight did do something odd. He did jump onto Lynxx's chair and lap his head/face. Then later, he kept touching noses with
Lynxx
. So maybe he knew. I think that was Midnight's way of saying goodbye. Luna did the exact same thing, but Luna has always done that to
Lynxx

Midnight does have a routine he does with my father every night. Every night when he was really little my father would play with him for 20 minutes before bed. Then my father began holding him for 20 minutes before bed. They did this every night until
Lynxx
got so bad off that all our attention was on him only.

The only new things in the house are the Christmas tree is now up in the living room, but Midnight "helped" us put it up and had a good time with us that night. He isn't afraid of it. He did try to eat it, but now he sleeps under it. We did get a new h.d. wall t.v. I know Midnight is facinated with that. But I don't think it's stressful to him, he actually watches it, if we put on anything with dinosaurs.

Midnight does hate going up to to the vet, he doesn't like the car ride much either. He has been going to the vet a lot, because they've been reapplying his soft paws for us. Unlike Luna, he lost all of his. Now they gave him a different size and they seem to fit him better.

Like I said there are no stressful events going on in his life. No new pets, no new cats (unless I find a certain cat I'm looking for). We have had people come in to fix the t.v.'s for us. He doesn't like strangers. But he and Luna are kept in their carriers, in my room, with me in there. So I know these people have no contact at all with my kittens. Midnight never saw them, just heard them talking. I don't know if that could upset him? This was right before he got sick.

I do have a neighbor who comes over to fix our computer, he tried to help us with the t.v.'s that neighbor is afraid of cats and doesn't like them. All cats are put away when he comes in.
Lynxx
was very aware of his fear/dislike of cats. I don't know if Luna and Midnight can sense that and get stressed because of it? They were in their carriers, he looked at them because we mentioned them. But he didn't do anything with or to them. He didn't even talk to them. He was here for a long time helping us. I don't know if that could affect Midnight? This was right before he got sick.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If he drinks a lot, he will pee a lot... Does he eat mostly dry food? The more dry food he eats, the more water he will drink. If he eats more dry food than the other cats, it might be the reason why he drinks more then them. Lucky, my cat who eats all dry, drinks a LOT more than Hope and Bugsy who eat a 50/50 wet and dry. Really noticeable...

What do you mean by he pees a lot? does he go a lot to the box and doesn't pees? or he actually pee? Can you see his pee? is it a regular size pee? Forget that is goes to the bottom of the box - if you can make it round, what size is it? Can you see a stream of pee coming out? can you hear pee coming out when he goes to the box? Basically, what I am asking is, is he going to the box a lot but NOT peeing, or is he actually peeing a lot?

Usually cats with UTI will be going to the box all the time trying to pee, but they can't so you just see these little tiny pees, the size of a dime... and the kitty jumping in and out, in and out, in and out... I mean - jump out, jump in again- over and over. They strain... You can see them in there, trying hard to pee, turning around on the box to see if anything came out... If your cat is peeing normally and not going in and out of the box straining to pee, I would not have a reason to worry about UTI... I might be completely wrong, but I would wait for the test results.

some cats sometimes will call their people when they go to the box - Bugsy has this habit... Not all the time, but sometimes he wants company... What can I say?
Midnight eats Purina One Kitten food, which is dry food. But Luna eats the same thing. Purina is what we've always gone with for cat food.

Midnight will go to the box and pee, sometimes there's so little that I know he went, but when my father goes to clean it, he can't find anything. I can hear him pee. His pee changes every time. Sometimes he barely goes, other times he goes a lot. But his pee and the litter don't clump right. Sometimes it's as small as a dime. Sometimes it's as round as the kitten can food containers. I've seen Midnight strain a couple of times to pee. He'll circle around and just not bother, jump out and come back after running around my room.

So maybe when he meows in the box it's not because he's in pain? He does take his toys with him. We make aluminum foil balls for them. We call them Mr. Ball. Sometimes I'll look over and see Midnight jump into the box with Mr. Ball in his mouth. He'll keep Mr. Ball in his mouth until he finishes, then hop out of the box and leave it next to the box, he'll grab it the next time he goes in if Luna doesn't take it from him first. Lot's of times he takes Luna with him. She'll sit right at the box and watch him. Yes I know my kittens are perverts.