Any information on Terramycin Ointment?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look, I am not a vet, so I can't say if your kitty has or not an UTI... It does seem to me, that your kitty has some funny habits
. The fact that he takes his toys to the box, Luna goes with him to the box, can mean very well that he is calling you to the box for company, and it is not pain - but I don't know for sure... Bugsy sometimes does that, come to think of, Lucky does too, and he does the same thing when he jumps on bed - in fact, those are the only times you will hear Bugsy

Are you getting the results for the urine test tomorrow? or it is going to take longer? He is quite hyper too right? he is not just hyper on the box? he is hyper all around? and he pees for sure?
The most important thing is making sure that he pees... if he does, he is probably fine... But again, I am not a vet... I am curious to see these results...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Often, the eye infection is indicative of feline herpes. Almost every cat has been exposed to the herpes virus, but most are well enough to fight it off and not become permanently infected. However, for some kitties, especially ones who are extremely malnourished and not cared for properly early in life or who have underlying illnesses that go untreated become affected for life. My Hannah has herpes, but she's doing great now. It's incurable, but can be managed and the kitty can lead a long, good life.

I've given Clavamox with no bad side effects to both of my girls previously. If the vet suspects an underlying infection with the eye or if she suspects a UTI or URI, then it's best to go ahead and start the medication.
How did Hannah get herpes?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Look, I am not a vet, so I can't say if your kitty has or not an UTI... It does seem to me, that your kitty has some funny habits
. The fact that he takes his toys to the box, Luna goes with him to the box, can mean very well that he is calling you to the box for company, and it is not pain - but I don't know for sure... Bugsy sometimes does that, come to think of, Lucky does too, and he does the same thing when he jumps on bed - in fact, those are the only times you will hear Bugsy

Are you getting the results for the urine test tomorrow? or it is going to take longer? He is quite hyper too right? he is not just hyper on the box? he is hyper all around? and he pees for sure?
The most important thing is making sure that he pees... if he does, he is probably fine... But again, I am not a vet... I am curious to see these results...
You're actually the closest thing to a vet on here. You know a lot about cats, and medicines!

Yes Midnight is a very odd cat when it comes to using the box.

My father is going to try to get in touch with our regular vet tomorrow, we want her to tell us the results because she knows Midnight. Midnight is her patient. This other vet deals mostly with dogs, but she was the only 1 there Saturday and she dealt with all the emergencies that came in Saturday we were 1 of 3.

Midnight until yesterday and today is a very energetic kitten. He even tires Luna out and she's only 6 months old. I swear Midnight doesn't even sleep, he's playing quietly every time I wake up and look at him.

Midnight does pee even if we can't find it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

You're actually the closest thing to a vet on here. You know a lot about cats, and medicines! Thanks, but no..... I am just a kitty mommy with unfortunately my share of issues experiences - let's say Bugsy took me around the block once or twice

Yes Midnight is a very odd cat when it comes to using the box.

My father is going to try to get in touch with our regular vet tomorrow, we want her to tell us the results because she knows Midnight. Midnight is her patient. This other vet deals mostly with dogs, but she was the only 1 there Saturday and she dealt with all the emergencies that came in Saturday we were 1 of 3.

Midnight until yesterday and today is a very energetic kitten. He even tires Luna out and she's only 6 months old. I swear Midnight doesn't even sleep, he's playing quietly every time I wake up and look at him. That is the magic of having kittens

Midnight does pee even if we can't find it. Excellent! Peeing is the word! As long as he is peeing, and not hanging around the box jumping in and out trying to pee and not being able to... chances are the lil' one is ok - hopefully this is what the results will show tomorrow!
You know, you have such a sweet dad - he sounds like such a cat lover... It is so nice to hear you talking about him playing and taking care of the kitties... very sweet!

Please let us know the results tomorrow as soon as you find out!
Ah, and don't worry too much about Herpes... I know, it sounds nasty, but once you keep the kitty on L-Lysine daily, you will keep URIs at bay, and you will not even notice anything different at all about the kitty...

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midnight doesn't hang around the box. He does circle in it jump out then come back and pee. He does pee even if it's a small amount.

When my father was little my grandparents lived on a farm (they still do minus the animals) he had cows, horses, pigs, chickens, dogs and siamese cats. He's always loved cats. He's gone through quite a few since his childhood. He'd have had more if my mother would have let us. It wasn't until she met
Lynxx
that she began to like cats. She grew up in a family superstitious about cats. Her older sister is the exact same way and actually had a hard time staying here for a week becasue she was afraid of
Lynxx
, and
Lynxx
was a huge cat. Except when she left she did give him 1 quick pat and tell him he was a good cat. She even felt bad when we told her that he died.

I think for my mother
Lynxx
was her only cat. She doesn't really like these 2, and isn't getting close with them. She does talk to them, and feed them, but their very different from
Lynxx
and she keeps pointing that out us. She forgets that kittens get into trouble all the time

When we got
Lynxx
, my father was the 1 who was around all the time with him. I went to school/work.
Lynxx's
whole kittenhood was spent with my father. They had their own games they used to play. He started that right up again with Midnight. Luna came from a place where she was abused. She does trust my father, but she has a very hard time with men. My father talks to her, and pats her, he can't play the games with her that he did for
Lynxx
, and does with Midnight. She's to afraid, even when she watches him and Midnight, she'll just watch, she won't join in. He does throw balls for her to chase after, and she enjoys that.

Where do you buy L-Lysine? We'll use the Viralys till we run out.

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]

RE: Midnight:

I don't understand why the vet would have tested for Leukemia or AIDS on a kitten that's under 6 weeks old.

RE:  THE LEUKEMIA TEST:  A kitten that is 6 weeks old or younger - cannot be tested accurately for Leukemia.  The immune system is not yet developed enough to properly develop antibodies - which is what the Elisa Test looks for (which is always the first test used.   Testing young kittens - will often result in a False Negative.

The minimum age for this test to be considered accurate (It's never 100%) - is 15 weeks of age.  (Even though most animal rescuers will test as early as 8 weeks old - when it seems to work well-enough).

RE: AIDS TEST: This also is VERY inaccurate in kittens.  It will often come up POSITIVE - when the kitten does not have AIDS, because the kitten will carry it's MOTHER'S antibodies for a long while.

The mother's antibodies can cause the kitten to test FALSE positive - up until the kitten is about 10 months of age (This False Positive time keeps getting increased as per articles I've read).

RE:  EXCESSIVE WATER DRINKING & PEEING:  Has anyone checked the kitten for dehydration?   If the kitten is not dehydrated - there should be no serious problem.

If the kitten is always wanting water - because she is DEHYDRATED - This is a problem.

There are other things that can cause dehydration besides kidney problems - such as a WORM infestation. 

The basic de-worming medication is generally given to kittens without even testing - as most kittens will have roundworms.  They may also give tapeworm medication).

These medications SHOULD get rid of roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms (And need to be repeated). 

But, the kitten could have Flukeworms - which those wormers DO NOT get rid of.  Especially since the kitten came from a farm - where the farm animals often have Flukes.

(Cats/Kittens would need Praziquantel or Panacur.  NOT Albendazole - which is used for cattle, but can cause serious harm to cats)

Flukes can only be detected with a SEDIMENTATION screening (NOT the standard Flotation screening.  Fluke eggs are heavy and do not float)

Also - parasites such as Coccidia - can cause dehydration.  And, other illnesses.

If the kitten is dehydrated - find a vet who can determine the cause.

Good Luck, Jackie Page    
[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object><style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";}</style><![endif]

Last edited by a moderator:

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that the issue I just replied to about Midnight - was posted in 2010.

(I should LOOK at posting dates!)

So - hopefully this issue was resolved a long time ago!!

Apologies,  Jackie Page   

Last edited by a moderator: