Another Cat Is "gateway" To Socializing New Feral

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've taken on two feral kittens, and this time it's another slightly older rescue that's been the "facilitator" of socialization. If Sampson (the teenage rescue) gets on my stomach, one of the new ferals - a female who is smitten with him - will jump up beside him. I sneak my hand in as I'm petting him, and she seems to enjoy the contact.

Once again a situation that has me in knots (taking on even more cats) gives back ten fold in entertainment.

That doesn't mean that I don't spend half the day telling myself that I was manipulated in to taking on the two new ferals (at a thrift shop for a cat shelter no less), or that I don't imagine my epitaph as the poor misguided crazy cat lady (which I do.) Just that there are moments - precious moments, where I'm utterly happy with my crew of abandoned and unwanted creatures.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do we all wonder where our limits are? Lol I think that if we can handle the proper care, it’s all good! I know every feral rescuer has moments of stress but also those wonderful moments of pure joy to see a kitty in the process of finding human love. Don’t worry about your epitaph! I think it is more likely to say,” Kitty guardian, kitty hero! Example of the best kind of human. “ :heartshape:
Congratulations on slipping in the petting! Give my thanks to your kitty assistant, Sampson. :clap2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do we all wonder where our limits are? Lol I think that if we can handle the proper care, it’s all good! I know every feral rescuer has moments of stress but also those wonderful moments of pure joy to see a kitty in the process of finding human love. Don’t worry about your epitaph! I think it is more likely to say,” Kitty guardian, kitty hero! Example of the best kind of human. “ :heartshape:
Congratulations on slipping in the petting! Give my thanks to your kitty assistant, Sampson. :clap2:
You are SO kind. Thanks for the moral support !!! And I'll pass your compliments on to Sampson.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome. You and Sampson deserve the praise and moral support. I know how hard it can be. There were times when moral support has helped to give me hope. Some people don’t offer support. You are never a “crazy” cat lady. You are a loving cat lady. I wish everyone would do what you are doing. :catlove:
If it makes you feel any better, I pulled in a very high number of cats over the last year and a half. I often wondered if I would be able to save the whole colony. Although I haven’t gotten the last ten adopted and I have had to adopt some that have issues myself, 77 socialized and found homes. I did all the socializing without help. It was exhausting but the best kind of reward! I can totally appreciate how you feel when that kitty joins Sampson on top of you and you get to touch her. That is huge progress. Those moments are the ones where we want to do this....:bunnydance::yess::hyper: I’d love to hear how things go. Updates please?

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are welcome. You and Sampson deserve the praise and moral support. I know how hard it can be. There were times when moral support has helped to give me hope. Some people don’t offer support. You are never a “crazy” cat lady. You are a loving cat lady. I wish everyone would do what you are doing. :catlove:
If it makes you feel any better, I pulled in a very high number of cats over the last year and a half. I often wondered if I would be able to save the whole colony. Although I haven’t gotten the last ten adopted and I have had to adopt some that have issues myself, 77 socialized and found homes. I did all the socializing without help. It was exhausting but the best kind of reward! I can totally appreciate how you feel when that kitty joins Sampson on top of you and you get to touch her. That is huge progress. Those moments are the ones where we want to do this....:bunnydance::yess::hyper: I’d love to hear how things go. Updates please?
You are a feral friend times a million ! I will definitely update you. She has a brother who is bigger but more timid. His coming to me will be a great day.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jut wondering since we have only 1 indoor cat since '09, & she is territorial, will a male feral (after fixing him soon -- w/ intent to keep him as pet) be able to socialize w/ her & vice versa?

I worry that she will stress out as she has high heart rate isues & takes Amlodipine daily for BP. I wonder if this is undue stress on her, as she is over 12 yrs old & he's about 3-5 yrs, but unsure to us exactly.

She had I-131 done for her hyperthyroidism back in '12 & thus when her heart rate was very high then, she was put on Amlodipine since then. TY for honest advice as I realy can't hurt her trying to bring him in after neuter.

If he cannot come in, I need find a way to help him not return to these dumpy apts outdoors, after we move out later this summer. He can't stay here outside period, as it'll cut his life short w/ the ppl/cars/trucks, etc. living around this terrible city apt complex. He needs a home not a feral colony after he's fixed.

Obviously my OCD & paranoia are coming thru re this complex prob. :(

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it helps to know you're not alone in your joy at being able to sneak in little touches....I caught myself laughing a few days ago over something similar. Hubby and I have TNR'd a neighborhood feral colony, and 4 of them now call our garage/yard/shelters/etc home base (and these four are going on their 4th year with us). This week I was brushing one of them- "Sookie" (which I think means she doesn't really qualify as feral anymore ;)). Another of the 4 - "Brady" (who's by far the one who's retained more of the 'feral fear and caution' then the other 3), sat a few feet away from my brushing session with Sookie. Suddenly he got up, walked over, head butted the brush, and then let me brush him for almost 10 minutes - - -while he PURRED!:yess: I was SO thrilled - but I started laughing to myself when I realized it took "only" four years to get him to trust me enough to approach me when food wasn't involved! So needless to say - - I get the thrill of ANY forward motion on earning a feral's trust!!!

And I can also say I hear you on the wondering what your epitaph will read....I've always said I want mine to read "she died buried under a giant pile of foster kittens." :p I think Jcatbird Jcatbird is right - - yours will read "cat hero" - - because it takes alot of patience and love to earn a feral's trust. I think they see the true "us" - - - they only trust those who are worthy of it and have worked hard to earn it. And I DEFINITELY think you qualify on both of those fronts!

So give yourself a big pat on the back (I would but I can't reach :)).....and definitely keep us posted on the adventure of Sampson and his little buddy!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M movinintime Definetly start a thread. It could really help just as suggested above. I understand your concerns. I don’t know how ill your other cat is and I am not a vet. I can only say that I have a couple of older cats with health issues too. They were not allowed near new kitties until everyone was comfortable with the situation and everyone had been vet checked for health. I always kept new ones isolated from others until they had all scented ( smelled) each other through doors and then I gradually introduced them. It was done slowly and at the pace the set by the cats. Some were completely feral, others semi feral. All originated from colonies. Some are older and some were little kittens. I have one cat who gets nervous after being around the others all day but he has a sanctuary to retreat to. Each kitty has their own house for alone time if they want it. No problems with integrating any new kitties or with the sick ones. If fact they seem to enjoy being part of a Clowder. I think they have decided that they own the house and just allow me to live here. Lol
If nothing else, if you do socialize they other kitty, you could just foster him and look for another home for him.

Last edited:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it helps to know you're not alone in your joy at being able to sneak in little touches....I caught myself laughing a few days ago over something similar. Hubby and I have TNR'd a neighborhood feral colony, and 4 of them now call our garage/yard/shelters/etc home base (and these four are going on their 4th year with us). This week I was brushing one of them- "Sookie" (which I think means she doesn't really qualify as feral anymore ;)). Another of the 4 - "Brady" (who's by far the one who's retained more of the 'feral fear and caution' then the other 3), sat a few feet away from my brushing session with Sookie. Suddenly he got up, walked over, head butted the brush, and then let me brush him for almost 10 minutes - - -while he PURRED!:yess: I was SO thrilled - but I started laughing to myself when I realized it took "only" four years to get him to trust me enough to approach me when food wasn't involved! So needless to say - - I get the thrill of ANY forward motion on earning a feral's trust!!!

And I can also say I hear you on the wondering what your epitaph will read....I've always said I want mine to read "she died buried under a giant pile of foster kittens." :p I think Jcatbird Jcatbird is right - - yours will read "cat hero" - - because it takes alot of patience and love to earn a feral's trust. I think they see the true "us" - - - they only trust those who are worthy of it and have worked hard to earn it. And I DEFINITELY think you qualify on both of those fronts!

So give yourself a big pat on the back (I would but I can't reach :)).....and definitely keep us posted on the adventure of Sampson and his little buddy!
That is so incredibly generous and kind. I really appreciate it. And congrat's on Brady's progress !

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jut wondering since we have only 1 indoor cat since '09, & she is territorial, will a male feral (after fixing him soon -- w/ intent to keep him as pet) be able to socialize w/ her & vice versa?

I worry that she will stress out as she has high heart rate isues & takes Amlodipine daily for BP. I wonder if this is undue stress on her, as she is over 12 yrs old & he's about 3-5 yrs, but unsure to us exactly.

She had I-131 done for her hyperthyroidism back in '12 & thus when her heart rate was very high then, she was put on Amlodipine since then. TY for honest advice as I realy can't hurt her trying to bring him in after neuter.

If he cannot come in, I need find a way to help him not return to these dumpy apts outdoors, after we move out later this summer. He can't stay here outside period, as it'll cut his life short w/ the ppl/cars/trucks, etc. living around this terrible city apt complex. He needs a home not a feral colony after he's fixed.

Obviously my OCD & paranoia are coming thru re this complex prob. :(
I wrote the book on paranoia so you're not alone in that respect. I can't speak to the physical problems with your first kitty, but I'd say that as long as there's a place they can both go to get away from each other, they'll work it out.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
JCatbird - is there a way that I could email you rather than post in the forum ? No problem if there's not.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tnrmakessense tnrmakessense - Jcatbird Jcatbird may have already answered this question privately, but in case not, I thought you might like to know there's an easy way to reach out to an individual member (or members) without either of you having to disclose your personal emails. All you need to do is "start a conversation" - and it's very simple. Assuming you're working from a computer (although it's the same way from my iPhone - I don't know if the position of things change a bit on other phones) - - once you're logged in, all you do is go to the upper right hand corner of your screen, where you'll see a little icon of an envelope next to the word "Inbox." Simply click on that (or hover over it) and you'll see an option to "start a new conversation." Just click on that, and that opens a window where you can actually reach out to a member (or multiple ones)! Hope that helps!

And I bet if you look hard enough in your book of paranoia - I've got at least a few chapters in there. :p I prefer to think of paranoia as "lovingly concerned"....just a bit more so than the average person.

Lastly - thanks SO much for the kind words concerning Brady! Persistence definitely paid off (I'm sure that watching his aunt, brother and cousins approach me for several years without me even once try to eat them was definitely a help!). I attached a pic of Brady (I like being able to "put a (cat) face with a member name) - we think he's quite the handsome lad, and worth all of the work! :redheartpump::hearthrob:

Please do keep us updated on how your duo progresses!

(and btw - - your member name is great - so perfect AND perfectly descriptive!)

BRADY_spring 2017.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By all means, you can send me a private message. I will initiate it so it will be easier for you. You’ll get a notice that you have a message. Just hit the little envelope and you can reply.

Thank you kittychick kittychick ! Much appreciated that you tagged me here. Brady is gorgeous! I love his cat face! :heartshape:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tnrmakessense tnrmakessense - Jcatbird Jcatbird may have already answered this question privately, but in case not, I thought you might like to know there's an easy way to reach out to an individual member (or members) without either of you having to disclose your personal emails. All you need to do is "start a conversation" - and it's very simple. Assuming you're working from a computer (although it's the same way from my iPhone - I don't know if the position of things change a bit on other phones) - - once you're logged in, all you do is go to the upper right hand corner of your screen, where you'll see a little icon of an envelope next to the word "Inbox." Simply click on that (or hover over it) and you'll see an option to "start a new conversation." Just click on that, and that opens a window where you can actually reach out to a member (or multiple ones)! Hope that helps!

And I bet if you look hard enough in your book of paranoia - I've got at least a few chapters in there. :p I prefer to think of paranoia as "lovingly concerned"....just a bit more so than the average person.

Lastly - thanks SO much for the kind words concerning Brady! Persistence definitely paid off (I'm sure that watching his aunt, brother and cousins approach me for several years without me even once try to eat them was definitely a help!). I attached a pic of Brady (I like being able to "put a (cat) face with a member name) - we think he's quite the handsome lad, and worth all of the work! :redheartpump::hearthrob:

Please do keep us updated on how your duo progresses!

(and btw - - your member name is great - so perfect AND perfectly descriptive!)

View attachment 289845
Brady is not only incredibly handsome but clearly aware of his magnificence.

Thanks so much for the instructions on messaging. I saw that icon, but wasn't sure it was "private". Really appreciate the info.

I love your definition of paranoia, and hell, if you've helped ferals for any length of time, you know you can be up against all kinds of unsympathetic and nasty folks. Maybe we'll coin "careanoia" for all of us that rescue.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been sick all week so this was one of my first days sitting at the computer - - and I have to say - - I LOVE the idea of "careanoia" - - - I vote we ALL write to Webster's and see if we can get that in the dictionary! It's PERFECT! :clap2:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been sick all week so this was one of my first days sitting at the computer - - and I have to say - - I LOVE the idea of "careanoia" - - - I vote we ALL write to Webster's and see if we can get that in the dictionary! It's PERFECT! :clap2:
Question from the caveperson of technology. Is it an emoji if it's on desktop rather than a phone ? Anyway, I love your clapping guy whatever it is.