another can of worms!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This type of animal cruelty is a felony, in Arizona. When they find this @#$hole, our DA WILL prosecute, to the hilt! One concern is that this type of animal abuse fits the pattern of a serial killer. Jeffrey Dahmer, the Boston Strangler and the two boys who shot up Columbine High all had histories of torturing animals. The Sheriff's Dept. has gotten a bunch of tips and says that they have two good leads. If I knew who did it, I'd blow them in, without the reward. Actually, I'd, rather, blow them away!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I anyone did that to my cats, I would skin them!

People are so awful sometimes, I can't imagine how they could do that. My SO says that people like that and like serial killers don't have a soul. That is an explanation that makes sense to me.

On the topic of indoor/outdoor, my cats are indoor. I used to live very close to a major highway, now I live in a city of approx. 50,000, on a fairly busy street. No question, they stay inside.

Faile is a year old, and was a stray, so she spent some time, maybe a month or 2 outside. She seems content to be indoors. I let her on my balcony--no way down except through the inside--and she was a little freaked, especially when my neighbor's dog started to bark.

I have lots of huge windows, so the cats can look out. Since the weather is getting nice, the windows are open, so they can smell, too. I won't take the chance that one will get hit, or run into some a@#h@le like that poor puppy did.

alicat613

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
katl8e, I grew up in AZ, and do you remember the greyhounds? I think it was that incident that helped strengthen Arizona laws on animal cruelty. It's sad that it took so much to horrify people, that it had to be such big news. Especially when it is PROVEN that animal abuse is often an early sign of severe violent and antisocial behavior.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a new lead, in the case. On the 4:30 news, someone has come forward with two puppies, believed to be littermates, of the skinned one. Not too many details, as yet but these puppies are OK. Pictures were on TV: they are sooo cute! HOW could anybody torture something that cute?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
alicat-We have a greyhound racing park up here in Portland so, naturally, we have greyhound rescue. I see them all the time around in the different neighborhoods. I might get one when I buy a house. They are nice and gentle dogs.

Keith

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone stuck this sweet puppy in a cat carrier and left it in a wooded area! It couldn't get out, it was so weak it couldn't cry. Some state employee found her by accident when he went to use nature for a restroom. She is at the vets now and doing better, but the outcome could of been so bad for her.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO glad someone found her!!!! This kind of stuff just makes my blood boil!!!!!

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to hear things about that. If you don't want the puppy how hard is it to drop him off at the local shelter? Leave him in the carrier on the door step if you don't want to deal with it but why would you leave him like that?

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I feel the same as the rest of you about these hideous excuses for "people" who harm animals. Many years ago there was an incident in our area that made the papers and I wrote a scathing editorial about the dirtbags that did it. It actually got printed. It just fires me up, especially since I am also a former teacher who worked with troubled kids and saw some of those behaviors developing. We live in a scary world.

I never left any of my pets outside unattended even when I had dogs. My cats are all indoor cats and are allowed out ocassionally with supervision and a leash and harness. Even my former feral is now a happy indoor cat. He shows absolutely NO interest in going back out where he came from. Those streets are mean.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with mslemon, in most areas, the streets are not safe.
If an animal is hurt by kids or others, some people can say, oh, it's just an animal. I can't understand that way of thinking. The truth is that anti-social behavior doesn't just stop with animals.

Young people who begin showing agressive behaviors to any living thing--animals, their classmates, whoever-- need to get help.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No new leads but, if they find out where these puppies came from, they amy be able to trace the scumsucker that did this. Will keep you posted. Hug and kiss all fuzzies, for me.

lydia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves to go outdoors. I live in the country and yes, coyotes are a threat. I have had many cats and one did go missing once. My cat is 15 and she rarely leaves the porch. She loves the great outdoors. I would never have an indoor only cat.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking about starting a new thread but this seems to be a good place to put it.

After a horrible incident, legistators proposed a law that would have made the second conviction of animal abuse a felony. That one got killed in committee because it would have been "too expensive" to put these jerks in prison, even for a short term. Apparently they think they should just wait until these same people kill a person before they will punish them.

Legistators in Colorado haven't given up on a tougher animal abuse. There will be a preliminary hearing on Thursday to discuss a new animal abuse bill. I don't know all of the details, but I think that it would make counseling/therapy mandatory after any animal abuse conviction and I think tougher penalties.

If you live in Colorado, please contact your local representative and let them know that this is an important issue! Go to this link and click on House Member Directory and Senate Member Directory to find your reps. They do list email addresses in this directory.