another can of worms!

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Debby, you said it very well. And I agree. Both of mine are "indoor" cats, but they both like to go out in the yard and run around the house every now and then. And I let them. I actually live on a fairly busy road, but they stay out back, and as soon as I open the door they come right back in. They are NEVER left out over night, or even for an extended period of time.

They are happy and healthy, and I wouldn't change it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Debby, great post! I know exactly what you mean about having unhappy cats. Fred is so miserable not being allowed to go out. Where I live now I can't even consider letting him out unsupervised. My SO and I try to make outside kitty safety a priority in finding a house, but it has not been possible for the past year. We will be looking for a permanent place soon and will be looking for a place where he can spend part of him time outside. He keeps sneaking out now and I hate to have to drag him back in. He was an indoor/outdoor kitty for 11 years. He has never as far as I know ventured farther than the friendly next door neighbors and will come when he is called. The girls have no interest in going out, and I cannot in good conscience, let Leo out because he is FeLV positive, so it will just be Fred and I don't have to worry much about him leaving the yard. The more I see him howling pitifully at the door, the more I want him to be happy playing outside.
:flower: :flower: :flower:

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That pitiful howling at the door always breaks my heart. I just can't say no.

Thanks guys for understanding my position.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older cat, Squirt, used to be indoor/outdoor. It happened quite by accident. Apartment exterminators let him out one day. He liked it so much that he was in/out for about 2 years. When I moved, I kept him in for at least 8 weeks. Just as he was exploring the great outdoors again, he wandered off and got lost. He was gone for 2 weeks. When I found him, I never let him out again.

Joey has always been indoors.

I bought my house last year because it has a small outdoor atrium with 16 foot high walls. Now both boys can go out and not be in harm's way. They also spend a lot of time on the screen porch.

I understand that keeping a cat indoors is s safety issue. It's tough, though, because they love it outside so much. One of my friends has a 20 year old cat who has always been indoor/outdoor. I guess he has been lucky enough to beat the odds.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two babies are indoor only cats. I live in the city, and in a 2nd floor apartment so there isn't much choice for them. They come out on the balcony with us and love being outside and watching the world. They are always supervised out there, so that they don't try to jump over the balcony (Trent did this once and scared the @$!# out of both himself and us!) Trent tried to sneak out the door once and got tackled before he could get anywhere. He hasn't tried it since. Basically, neither of them has ever really been outside so they don't miss not being able to go out. Being in the city there is no way that I would ever let them roam - there is too many dangers out there for them here.

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In terms of keeping cats on a balcony, a friend of mine got some garden netting and ran it from the bottom of the upstairs balcony to the bottom of their own. It was some kind of tomato trellis made of soft string, with squares about 2" - 3". She said it was effective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

7cozycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
did any of you read the story of Queso? in the SOS forum? if not, go read it. it might change a couple of your minds.
and do any of your outside cats stay inside in the winter when its freezing outside? ya'll are gonna hate me!:laughing2 :laughing2
don't! i love all the cats in the whole world. theres these cats that live behind taco bell and we went through the drive through one night. it was raining. i ordered them a couple of tacos. they ate them. there are some houses behing taco bell and they might live in one of them, because they were plenty fat. point is...well i don't really know! i just really love cats.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine don't go out in winter....they put their noses at the door and decide to stay in most of the time!!!

As far as mine go, they probably spend less than 30 min outside per day....its strictly a "run outside to roll on the grass for a bit and then come right back" sort of outdoor cat.

I am comfortable with our situation, and I think each person has to decided for herself if its a good choice for their kitty.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine only went out when THEY wanted to. If they looked out and decided they didn't want to go, they came back in. I NEVER put them out. I think every one of us has our own reasons for dealing with this issue, and no one that is not abusing or neglecting their cats should be judged either way.I think we all love our furbabies and want them to be happy.

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had a big farm like Debby, then I would probably let my kitties go in and out as they please. There wouldn't really be anything to worry about.
I took my kitties out onto the balcony the other day for the first time and Socks LOVES it! I wish that there was a way that he could go in and out, but I know thats not an option. Sometimes now, I'll open the sliding door, but keep the screen door shut and he just sits there looking outside like he longs to be out there.

7cozycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think some in door cats don't realize just how good they have it. there is a cat that my neighbors left behind when they moved. when they lived next to me, the cat would go in and out. when i was over there at my nieghbors house and the cat was in, he would sit at the door to go out in the dead of winter. you can't keep in long. i think to have a happy in door cat they would have to stay inside since they were a kitten. that way they would not know what they were missing. i'd love to bring buddy (the cat) in. my cats freak if they just smell him on me. we have to wash our hands as soon as we come in after loving on him. he has a cat bed and plenty food and water. and usually stays in the yard. i do worry about him getting hit. he strolls in and out of other nieghbors houses, like he owns the place. i wish i knew some one with alot of land. but means i don't he's better off here. where he gets love and food. please know, i just have a really big heart and hope i did not step on anybody's toes. i simply care about all cats and not just mine. Kitty Power :rainbow: :flash: :afrorainb

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Opie likes to sit at the screen door and LOOK outside but, when the door gets opened, he heads for another part of the house. I don't think he wants to go out. Why should he? Outside has no comfy bed to sleep in, no bowl of food and probably, no Mom and Dad to scratch ears and rub a belly.

candyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would just like to respond to the indoor/
outdoor issue. I just lost a sweet cat a little
over a week ago and I am heartbroken that he is
gone, but I also know that he was so happy being
outside. Yes, in a perfect world I would want to
keep my cats inside, but they would be so depressed,
it wouldn't be worth it. I have always worried about
one of them getting hit by a car, and my worst
nightmare happened, but it still hasn't changed my
opinion about them being allowed to go outside. They
love to be outdoors. Think of how you would feel if
you were never allowed to feel cool brisk air or lay
in the sun, or just enjoy the beautiful weather outside.
I would give anything to have my Jackson back except his
freedom. He may have only had 10 months, but he really
enjoyed those 10 months. He played outside all day and
then came in and laid around with us all evening. I kept
them in at night, and let them out in the morning. And
if anyone is curious, my cats have had all their shots
and they have all been neutered. They all have felt very
loved and cared for. I do regret that he died, but I
don't regret that he was allowed to go outside and enjoy
nature.

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats so sad Candy.
I'm sorry to hear about Jackson. Thats great that you don't regret ever letting him go outside.

7cozycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i wish i had a big farm or something. i would have a privacy fence. so no cats could wonder off. and i'd rescue lots of cats and give them a good home. and let them live out side. but build them a warm cozy cat house to sleep.(after being fixed and shots) of course i'd still have my inside babies. thats my dream. that would be great!!! someday it will happen.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the cat is in a controlled enviroment outside, i.e. supervised, that is okay. Just letting your cat roam around the neiborhood is irresponsible and mean. And this is my reasoning...I moved back in with mom for a couple years in a mobile home park that had roaming neighbor cats. Being the good son I am, I would do yardwork for her on a regular basis. I REGULARLY stepped in catshi* in the yard. The management would do nothing about it even though one of the rules is "All pets (including cats) fenced in or restrained and/or on a leash at all times." Even to this day, when I visit my dad (he bought the place from my mom when she remarried and moved) I see cats roaming still. When I finally buy a house and I see a cat in my yard leaving a present, I'll find the owner and let him/her have that present. I have no problem with outside cats, just the ones the owners can't handle and leave out all day and night.

My .02

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another good reason to keep pets in: On Monday, two walkers, near Green Valley, south of Tucson, spotted a puppy wandering in a pecan orchard. Initially, they intended to rescue it but, upon approaching it, they saw that it had been skinned alive. They called Animal Control and the puppy was euthanized. It was a 10-week old heeler mix and the only skin left on it was the face and a little bit on the paws. The reward for information, about the perpetrator is up to over $11,000. In addition to animal predators and cars, there are some sick people out there!

alicat613

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG that is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. I wish I didn't know that, but more I wish that it had never happened. How can people (and I use that term very loosely) do things like that to such poor innocent creatures? I hope that puppy is having a great time in Heaven playing with nice people and other animals in a big giant field.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that you all understand when I say that there are just not strong enough words in this or any other language for the rage I felt when I read that. I wish we could do the same thing to the things that did that to that innocent. Skin them alive and let them out wandering around.

I am almost crying I am so mad! What could possibly make someone do that to a puppy??? Or light a cat on fire and throw it out of a car (happened here - two teens did it and their parents turned the a**holes in)? Or anything in the SOS Forum (which I generally can't even read)? Murdering people I understand better than that. And yet the lawmakers think it just isn't important enough - or will cost too much - to make animal abuse laws tougher. They defeated the law here in Colorado when the press wasn't all over it that would have made second conviction of animal abuse a felony because it would cost too much. If a person can do something like that to an animal - a complete innocent - then what makes them think they won't do the same thing to a person who has the capability to really piss them off? Almost every serial killer ever abused animals before they went to people.

Sorry for my rambling....I just can't understand some things in this world.