"Angels & Demons"...amazing book!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Originally Posted by rapunzel47

His writing style sometimes leaves something to be desired
Just wondering what you meant by that? I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I was reading his books but I don't remember why.
Can't give specific examples now -- it's several months since I read the books -- but perhaps the best way to express it is just that I prefer a more polished style, one that flows more easily.

I love words and language, and would write fiction if I ever had an inspiration
-- and when I write anything, even something as casual as a post on this board, I always go back at least once, often more than that, to see how it "reads", and fine tune. I often had the sense that if he had done that, he'd have expressed something differently, more elegantly. Which is not to say that he didn't do that kind of review, only that I would have preferred a different, smoother result. Personal taste, I guess.

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Just wondering what you meant by that? I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I was reading his books but I don't remember why.
I had the same reaction with A&D. 5 pages into DVC, I ran across this sentence: "He was trapped inside the Grand Gallery, and there existed only one person on earth to whom he could pass the torch."

Ai-yi-yi. That sounds like something a Freshman would write in an Lit 101 class. "...only one person on earth..."? Come on, there are over 6 billion people on this planet and only ONE is capable of handling the secret?! *sigh* It's absolutes like this that make it difficult for me to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story.

Just my .02, YMMV

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right, I remember thinking some of his sentences were a bit odd. I think I noticed it more with A&D but I could've been wrong.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gargoyle

I'm interested in reading Code, but I refuse to buy it in hardback, it hasn't come out in paperback yet and no one has lent it to me yet
If you go to either amazon.com or barnes and noble.com (cannot remember which one!!!) they have a used book part and you may be able to get the hardbound one at a lesser price!

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

So is A & D about Angels and Demons or about Christ?
Neither, really. It's essentially a murder mystery that involves the main characters solving riddles and codes that are hidden in various churches in Rome in an attempt to prevent additional deaths. That's oversimplified of course but should give you the general idea.