Anemia-can my vet do anything for anemia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have a lot of work brought back home , much to do but wanted to be with Chalupa. She stopped drooling today. She smells like old dry food. She just projectile vomited some wet food she ate like it was nothing. Just carried on, not like her at all. Normally vomiting comes with a howling warning and cry like mmmamamama, she hates vomiting. Guessing maybe she has growing obstruction? Or could it be bacterial . Appetite is bizarrely increased past few days. Started clavamox last night, antibiotic, on cerenia, Pepcidac, miralax, pet tabs, just started since not treating anemia anymore at vet. She's very lethargic past 3 or 4 days grunts, but also purrs. Should I top it off with pain killers? Low doses of everything. Seems to be swallowing back vomit or reflux that is creeping back up sometimes , is that possible? tried to eat her own vomit too.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Otherwise looks pretty comfortable!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if she eats kind of laying down or what, but have you tried raising her food bowl? Sometimes that helps with acid reflux and regurgitation. It helped my Caesar a lot.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seems little better salivating a little still but appetite is way bigger than it's been for a month Still can't eat that much tho takes a lot of breaks Food is raised

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A neighbor I met at neighborhood pet store has cat with small cell lymphoma, and an enlarged heart, last time she took cat to vet, cat collapsed. They had to put cat in oxygen tank. So she can't take cat to vet unless there is no choice. Wonder if there is a drug cat could take if had to go. Also cat has vomited so far once every week. This cat eats good though raw food and canned only. Big appetite, had to be put on food reduction program tho.

Last edited:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't seem to get the Chalupa to stop drooling, tried everything, sometimes her drool is brownish after she eats, usually its just clear liquid, still has small appetite. Not sure what to do.
not sure if I wanted to try buprenex because I'm afraid it will cause constipation although I do have some for her and am giving her miralax.
Gave her Buprenex, have a feeling if Chalupa could say thank you she would. Havent seen her so relaxed and lovey dovey in a long time. Although, she is still breathing a little fast she purrs and looks very comfortable. Totally spaced out like everything is cooler to her kind of way. It's 91.00 for 5-8 doses though or something like that, only have 4 left. If she lasts to fourth of July, probably save the rest for around then, though the fire crackers are already going in my neighborhood. Chalupa is not really a scaredy cat though.
At least I know this seems to make her feel better. Should have used it during b12 injections, she was so difficult then at least by myself.
Saw a my cat from hell episode where owners, a couple, had to give their cat b12 injection and couldn't do it. Jackson had to help and he held the cat and even made a tent with the skin on the neck for the lady and she did it. wish I had a Jackson that could have helped with the Chalupa.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to make of the drooling. Did you ask the vet?

Wow, I don't know why the Buprenex is so expensive for you. 
  I'm glad it made her feel better, though.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes my vet and I decided to try antibiotics first but drool, salivating continued, tried everything. Buprenex was last but trouble is she forgets how to poop or something last time poop hot stuck long time until it just fell out. This time she thought it was stuck, but think she got it all out. From what I could tell. Really out of it on the stuff though not confidant walking around and a little wobbly, moves fast though bAck to her bed. Appetite is still ok, better, though not great. Bones are really sticking out now. Seems like cancer might be eating up muscle or something. Vet is not sure what we can do at this point but try to keep her comfortable.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There could be any number of reasons why she is drooling, none good.  I wouldn't worry too much about constipation (although I would treat it) as it is much better that she be without pain.  If she can't be kept pain free there is no point to extending her life.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree about relieving pain, she seems noticeably more relaxed. Could be a coincidence, maybe the antibiotics worked but just too strange that drooling seemed to stop within hour of buprenex and she's been taking anti biotics for almost week. If anybody has ideas for constipation besides miralax, please let me know. Thanks

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then it sounds like she was in considerable pain.  Drooling is a sign of extreme stress and pain is obviously stressful, and given that she stopped drooling after giving the Bupe it would strongly correlate with pain and pain relief.  You can also give a pinch of unflavored psyllium mixed with a little water in the food daily, but i would discuss this with your vet.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was reading that drooling is almost always associated with fatty liver disease which can be caused by cancer. Strange that all of a sudden her appetite has increased after a few months of an almost anorexic appetite. She stopped eating so long I thought she had called it a day a few times already.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will ask about the psyllium, thank you.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was reading that drooling is almost always associated with fatty liver disease which can be caused by cancer. Strange that all of a sudden her appetite has increased after a few months of an almost anorexic appetite. She stopped eating so long I thought she had called it a day a few times already.
I think you may be going off on a symptomatic tangent. Fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) can cause drooling if the cat is nauseous but your cat has a lot of things going on and when the drooling stopped after giving pain meds it sounds like your cat was in pain, which would make sense given his history.  HL is caused by not eating or a lack of nutrient absorption.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not diagnosing at all at this point just wondering what's going on. Really doesn't matter anymore, she's already supposed to be dead.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this cat needs painkillers everyday and she keeps eating ,popping, peeing, looking comfortable, enjoying outside. Gladly get her the buprenex for as long as she feels like hanging out.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chalupa really likes cartoons when she takes buprenex

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Last edited: