And so it begins....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Thoughts and prayers are with you Susie! Those barium drinks are terrible, but hopefully that was the worst of it. Believe me, you aren't the only one that is doctor-phobic! Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this.
Thanks so much. I take it your not a fan of medical people either?

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that the worst part of today was the chalk drink!
for more easy things on Monday. I'd guess you can't eat after 6pm tomorrow, and/or drink anything except clear liquids?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
loys of vibes for you Susie!! I had a cat scan done last summer on my noggin and the worse part for me was the peed your pants sensation
hope your doc appt goes well on Monday morn!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suzie, I've only just seen this thread. Do you mind pointing me to the first one or just giving me a quick run-down? I worked in gastro for five years and may be able to give you some good advice from a non-doctor perspective...if you want

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Suzie, I've only just seen this thread. Do you mind pointing me to the first one or just giving me a quick run-down? I worked in gastro for five years and may be able to give you some good advice from a non-doctor perspective...if you want
Thanks Sarah..........there really isn't another thread......well, there might be, but I was just once again asking for vibes. (I feel like a vibe hog)
I've had stomach pains for a long time and I'm finally being sent to a gastro doc to see if perhaps he can figure it out. My primary doc thinnks I might have an ulcer, so I guess the gastro guy will do his thing down my throat to have a look around. I'm scared to death of that, and also what he might find, so I'm asking for vibes for courage strength and good news at the outcome of all of this............my appt for tomorrow morning I think is just a consultation with him........and then I would think he'd schedule whatever procedure he feels he needs to do.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is NO such thing as a vibe hog!

You can have all the vibes and prayers that you ask for.

I know that you are nervous about this process, but I know everything will be fine.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susie vibes are like love, the more you give the more there is. sending you lots and lots,

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Thanks Sarah..........there really isn't another thread......well, there might be, but I was just once again asking for vibes. (I feel like a vibe hog)
I've had stomach pains for a long time and I'm finally being sent to a gastro doc to see if perhaps he can figure it out. My primary doc thinnks I might have an ulcer, so I guess the gastro guy will do his thing down my throat to have a look around. I'm scared to death of that, and also what he might find, so I'm asking for vibes for courage strength and good news at the outcome of all of this............my appt for tomorrow morning I think is just a consultation with him........and then I would think he'd schedule whatever procedure he feels he needs to do.
I see. Well, as you've probably been told there can be a lot of explanations for non-specific stomach pain, and things like the barium study that you had, and a gastroscopy with routine, random biopsies, are very useful diagnostic tools.

If I can share with you some of the statistics associated with endoscopy then it might help you be more at ease. The usual incidence of a complication from endoscopy is one in 2000, with the incidence of perforation of the lining of the oesophagus or stomach even lower, about one in 3-4,000. These are routine procedures and most gastroenterologists will perform 20 to 40 gastroscopies per week, depending on how much of their practice is procedural. It can be a little uncomfortable but rarely painful, and is usually over within 30 minutes. Mostly, you don't even need a general anaesthetic for one, just a deep sedation where you are fast asleep with no knowledge or memory of the procedure, it's just a safer way to sedate and is much shorter-acting.

After-effects from endoscopy can range from simple tiredness to some bloating (they pump some air into your stomach to inflate it a bit, to help see more easily) to a bit of windy gas. That's usually about it.

You would be amazed at the level of pain acid reflux/peptic ulcer disease can cause. You may also be tested for coeliac disease, eosinophilic oesophagitis and colitis or crohn's disease during an endoscopy (lower GI disorders can often manifest in upper GI symptoms) and the doctor will be able to see any signs of erosion, inflammation or ulcer disease as the lining examined can show redness or similar mucosal changes. Sometimes these things are present microscopically so that is why random biopsies are routine with these procedures. Often non-specific cramping can be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is treated by dietary modification.

Other causes could be liver, gallbladder or pancreatic disease, which can be determined by a different kind of scope called Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), which is an examination of the bile duct and surrounding structures, but symptoms relating to these disorders are usually more specifically located within the abdomen, with additional symptoms as well.

I know that was probably a bit much for you to take in, particularly if you are stressed, but remember that stress is a significant trigger for abdominal pain so it is in your best interests to look after yourself and try to relax, which is not as easy as it sounds.

You are in no way a vibe hog and I add my personal hugs and vibes to the others already heading your way. Good luck and if you have any questions that I can answer I would be very happy to try

Oh - it is a day procedure and you're up and about, fine, by that night in most cases, depending on how sedation affects you.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, thank you so much for taking the time to tell me all of that........I didn't hardly sleep a wink last night...........I just want them to find out wha tthe problem is finally and help me............I will try to relax as best I can......and all of your and everyone elses support means alot.........I will post from work and tell you all what the doc says to me this morning. From what I understand, this will be a consulation.............

Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

I see. Well, as you've probably been told there can be a lot of explanations for non-specific stomach pain, and things like the barium study that you had, and a gastroscopy with routine, random biopsies, are very useful diagnostic tools.

If I can share with you some of the statistics associated with endoscopy then it might help you be more at ease. The usual incidence of a complication from endoscopy is one in 2000, with the incidence of perforation of the lining of the oesophagus or stomach even lower, about one in 3-4,000. These are routine procedures and most gastroenterologists will perform 20 to 40 gastroscopies per week, depending on how much of their practice is procedural. It can be a little uncomfortable but rarely painful, and is usually over within 30 minutes. Mostly, you don't even need a general anaesthetic for one, just a deep sedation where you are fast asleep with no knowledge or memory of the procedure, it's just a safer way to sedate and is much shorter-acting.

After-effects from endoscopy can range from simple tiredness to some bloating (they pump some air into your stomach to inflate it a bit, to help see more easily) to a bit of windy gas. That's usually about it.

You would be amazed at the level of pain acid reflux/peptic ulcer disease can cause. You may also be tested for coeliac disease, eosinophilic oesophagitis and colitis or crohn's disease during an endoscopy (lower GI disorders can often manifest in upper GI symptoms) and the doctor will be able to see any signs of erosion, inflammation or ulcer disease as the lining examined can show redness or similar mucosal changes. Sometimes these things are present microscopically so that is why random biopsies are routine with these procedures. Often non-specific cramping can be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is treated by dietary modification.

Other causes could be liver, gallbladder or pancreatic disease, which can be determined by a different kind of scope called Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), which is an examination of the bile duct and surrounding structures, but symptoms relating to these disorders are usually more specifically located within the abdomen, with additional symptoms as well.

I know that was probably a bit much for you to take in, particularly if you are stressed, but remember that stress is a significant trigger for abdominal pain so it is in your best interests to look after yourself and try to relax, which is not as easy as it sounds.

You are in no way a vibe hog and I add my personal hugs and vibes to the others already heading your way. Good luck and if you have any questions that I can answer I would be very happy to try

Oh - it is a day procedure and you're up and about, fine, by that night in most cases, depending on how sedation affects you.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

{{{vibes}}} for you this morning, Suze.
too!
Thanks Nita........I'll be leaving in a few minutes..........

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm back guys.....to make a long story short, I have to go in on the 19th for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy (down the throat).....they'll do it at the same time while I'm there.....ugh.............

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It'll be okay, Susie
I really hope they can pinpoint what the issues are being caused by!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

It'll be okay, Susie
I really hope they can pinpoint what the issues are being caused by!
Thanks!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you won't have to worry so much about what it'll be like, cause I think they put you out for the those.

{{{vibes}}} still headed your way!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Well, I'm back guys.....to make a long story short, I have to go in on the 19th for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy (down the throat).....they'll do it at the same time while I'm there.....ugh.............
Aaron had this both done about a year and a half ago. You know what colonoscopy prep entails, because Jerry recently had one. That is the worst part of it according to Aaron. My father, who is very frail, had both a few months back as well. The next day your jaw may be a bit sore from having your mouth open for the procedure. Do not schedule dental work the next day like Aaron did.