An early worry but it seems inevitable......

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prayers that you and your family stay safe. Living in the Northern hemisphere I can only imagine how terrifying this would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I will keep you in my prayers Rigel!
Originally Posted by Bella713

Vibes to keep Dean away Rigel
Originally Posted by babygirl

You and your family will be in my prayers.
Originally Posted by xocats

That looks really scary Rigel.
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Rigel, I am sending many prayers that it doesn't hit any land
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

aww Rigel! I really hope it weakens.
Originally Posted by calico2222

Good vibes going out to you
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

and said it was headed for the Yucatan. OMG I panicked and immediately thought of you!
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

It's cruel to turn someone down from the last room in the state because they have a dog or cat.
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Prayers and vibes Rigel!!
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'm praying that Dean and all his friends stay away from you and the rest of us too!
Originally Posted by Pami

Many prayers and vibes for you, Rigel
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Prayers and vibes that Dean stays away, Rigel!
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

That`s scary!
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Prayers that you and your family stay safe.
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Best of luck to you! I really hope it avoids you!
Thank you my friends!
I´m overhelmed about your nicely good wishes!
Today I begin to make the arragements about Buy some can of food, thanks to God I always keep 6 bottles of 20 Litters of water purificate and the Cats have enought food Dry and wet!...
... but i need to cut some bushes of the threes to this do not convert in misils during the strong winds.....

I´ll be in touch with the site as I´ll be in posiblities to do it!

Thank you of HEART for your prayers!
A can tell you this, We feel it my friend!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More for you. I, too, saw the reports on Dean and the direction it was taking.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

More for you. I, too, saw the reports on Dean and the direction it was taking.

Originally Posted by Lorie D.

I'm sending as many protective vibes as possible to you and your wife, Rigel!!!
Stay safe!!!

thank you so much dear friends!
I´ll be in touch with all of you!

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw the weather report and immediatly thought of you. Major vibes and prayers winging your way for you and your family for safety. Please let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you can get all your preparations done soon. Do you have a garage for your car?? (Do you have a car??).
I'll have to check out the storms track.
Hope you, Gemma and the cats stay safe!!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning the were saying it was to be a category 4 hurricane. Lots of stay safe vibes headed your way

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Hope you can get all your preparations done soon. Do you have a garage for your car?? (Do you have a car??).
I'll have to check out the storms track.
Hope you, Gemma and the cats stay safe!!
Here's some tips about keeping cars in the garage during a hurricane. It's what my Dad and I did to prevent the winds from ripping it out during a category 3 hurricane.
Carefully move the car while the door is closed so the bumper is against the garage itself. It prevents the pressure from pushing in and caving in the door. You'll have to check on it during the storm though. Our cars moved a foot during one storm because the pressure and the winds were pushing on the garage from outside!
If needed, you can barricade the door's edging with 2x4s, giving it a bit more support where the house and garage meet on the sides. This prevented the winds from breaking in from the sides and the sectioned parts of the garage door itself. It will leave marks in the house's edging inside of the garage but my Dad though it was worth it.

I hope they help! Many vibes to you!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Prayers that you and your family stay safe. Living in the Northern hemisphere I can only imagine how terrifying this would be.
I mean we have tornadoes but I don't thin they compare to hurricanes. So, I'm hoping and wishing that you, Rigel, and anyone else who may be in the path of a tropical storm or hurricane, stay safe and dry!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Thank you for your concern!
yes we have and is big!....thanks to God!
Originally Posted by stormy

This morning the were saying it was to be a category 4 hurricane. Lots of stay safe vibes headed your way
Thank you Diane!, we going to need it!...

Here's some tips about keeping cars in the garage during a hurricane. It's what my Dad and I did to prevent the winds from ripping it out during a category 3 hurricane.

Carefully move the car while the door is closed so the bumper is against the garage itself. It prevents the pressure from pushing in and caving in the door. You'll have to check on it during the storm though. Our cars moved a foot during one storm because the pressure and the winds were pushing on the garage from outside!
If needed, you can barricade the door's edging with 2x4s, giving it a bit more support where the house and garage meet on the sides. This prevented the winds from breaking in from the sides and the sectioned parts of the garage door itself. It will leave marks in the house's edging inside of the garage but my Dad though it was worth it.
I hope they help! Many vibes to you!!!
...thank you my friend I´ll take all notes!...

Originally Posted by twstychik

I mean we have tornadoes but I don't thin they compare to hurricanes. So, I'm hoping and wishing that you, Rigel, and anyone else who may be in the path of a tropical storm or hurricane, stay safe and dry!
Thank you Meaghan for your concern!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw on the news of the latest video of the islands the hurricane is over right now and these locals are all crowded in a house or hotel lobby, then suddenly the windows bust in because of the winds and the air pressure! Amazing enough, the combination of the two is deadly. All they had were 3 stripes of tape on the glass. They should have boarded up but wood is kind of pricey on islands compared to mainland.

Oh, here's a story.
Before that category 3 hurricane I wrote about in the earlier post, my Dad and I were trying to get plywood for the windows and all the depots were out! Our neighbor was looking for tap-con screws and they couldn't find any of those so we traded 12 of our screws with 3 extra sheets of plywood that they had.
Tap-con screws are special screws that can drill into concrete and are usually painted blue. They are practically worth gold during the hurricane season! Their named that because they can 'tap' into concrete.
My Dad was a genius to stock up before the storm.

There's also some special window items you can buy instead of wood to protect them from the hurricane winds. There's these triangle waved sheets of either plastic or metal that stack upon each other that covers the window. My parents have bought the metal ones for the sliding glass doors and plastic ones for the windows. The plastic ones are great because light can still get through so it doesn't feel like you're in a dungeon. You can cut them if you had a sawing machine and a strong grip to shape them to a specific window or door and they're quite strong. I think they found them at Home Depot three years ago when they first came out.
They're shaped like this:
_/\\_/\\_/\\_
A triangle is the strongest shape out of all of the shapes.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just saw on the news of the latest video of the islands the hurricane is over right now and these locals are all crowded in a house or hotel lobby, then suddenly the windows bust in because of the winds and the air pressure! Amazing enough, the combination of the two is deadly. All they had were 3 stripes of tape on the glass. They should have boarded up but wood is kind of pricey on islands compared to mainland.

Oh, here's a story.
Before that category 3 hurricane I wrote about in the earlier post, my Dad and I were trying to get plywood for the windows and all the depots were out! Our neighbor was looking for tap-con screws and they couldn't find any of those so we traded 12 of our screws with 3 extra sheets of plywood that they had.
Tap-con screws are special screws that can drill into concrete and are usually painted blue. They are practically worth gold during the hurricane season! Their named that because they can 'tap' into concrete.
My Dad was a genius to stock up before the storm.

There's also some special window items you can buy instead of wood to protect them from the hurricane winds. There's these triangle waved sheets of either plastic or metal that stack upon each other that covers the window. My parents have bought the metal ones for the sliding glass doors and plastic ones for the windows. The plastic ones are great because light can still get through so it doesn't feel like you're in a dungeon. You can cut them if you had a sawing machine and a strong grip to shape them to a specific window or door and they're quite strong. I think they found them at Home Depot three years ago when they first came out.
They're shaped like this:
_/\\_/\\_/\\_
A triangle is the strongest shape out of all of the shapes.
The idea sounds great!...
....I have crystal windows so over the protectors that have it, can go those shapes!...
...great!

thanks a lot my friend!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

The idea sounds great!...
....I have crystal windows so over the protectors that have it, can go those shapes!...
...great!

thanks a lot my friend!
You're welcome! I didn't see on the news how much time the U.S. has until it hits. Do you know the estimated time?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOooo! Rigel !!!

I'm sending many vibes that you and your family stay safe and dry!!! Hopefully your house stays in one piece.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through a catagory 4 typhoon so I definitely recommend, if you can get typhoon shutters (or hurricane shutters) they help alot! What kind of house do you live in? If it's concrete with a flat roof, you should be fine. If it's anything else (and it gets up to catagory 4) find someplace safer.

Secure EVERYTHING outside. I had a wooden picnic table that was heavy for me to lift, but I turned it upside down and weighed it down with concrete blocks and tires...and it still was blown a few inches. So, anything you can take inside, do it.

If you have any airconditioners in the windows...take them out. It will save a lot of water damage because the rain will blow through the vents and soak everything. The cats really don't like that!

Buy all the ice you can and keep it in coolers in a dark place, like a closet so the sun won't make it hotter and melt it faster.

Fill up as many containers with water as you can. If you lose water (or if the water gets contaminated) you're going to need them to flush the toilet, brush your teeth, etc.

If you have a grill, take it inside, but stock up on propane or chacoal. That way, if you lose power, you can still eat.

I don't know what your area is like...I just going by what I had to do in Guam. They were used to typhoons, but very unprepared for them. Having no power for 4 weeks, and no water for 2 weeks was common.

I'm not trying to scare you. Hopefully, your city is more prepared for this. Just giving you some suggestions.

Still sending vibes you will be spared from a major hurricane. (I'll shut up now).