Amy has Nina been found?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
amy- I agree with Wookie. This is a personal choice. you need to do what is best for you and Nina right now. I have read on the boards males can be fertile for a mo. after being neutered. Why do they think she is 6 weeks? She definately doesn't look 3 weeks that is for sure. And couldn't be 3 mo........ Could it be a "false pregnancy" with all the hormones in the house?

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I didn't think this decisoin would be so hard. I know that the cats don't have the same emotions as us humans.
The Siamese Rescue is located in Santa Barbara which has a very wealthy population. I feel that makes a huge difference (but not always) in who will adopt a kitten. There is no doubt whoever the father is, they would be cute kittens...but
I have 10 foster kittens and 2 foster moms right now. They have all had there first set of shots and the oldest bunch are due to be spay/neutered the first week of June. They will be adopted very soon, they are cute and social. The other 7 kittens aren't due to be spay/neutered until mid June. Nina's date (given by the vet) is the beginning of the 2nd week in June. I know she will be out of commission for a few weeks and we wouldn't even see the kittens roaming for at least a week so it is possible, maybe.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Junior- that is a great question! I will ask the vet to do an ultrasound. Maybe it is a false pregnancy. She started peeing around the house right when they arrived. I will check into that. I am excited because that would totally let me off the hook

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are concerned about Nina's skills as a momma, maybe you could try and find a surrogate mom (small litter, or stillborn litter) in a rescue in your area. That would take some of the burden off of you. And who knows, maybe Nina will show she can be a good mom.

I'm sorry for this terrible and heart rending choice you've been given. Thank goodness that these darlings found you, to love and take care of them. I wish you all the luck in making your decision, and we at TCS are here for you and on your side no matter what decision you make. Hugs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amy---- glad I could help. I found info last night that said they will show ALL signs of preg. and from the hormones their bellies can get big. And it can go on (false preg) from 3-7 weeks! then one day their bellies will just start shrinking and they will go back to normal. Did the vet feel her belly though when he said she was definately preg? he may have felt the kittens in there then since they can feel them around 4 weeks into the preg.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is very good and intuitive. He said she was PG. That doesn't mean she isn't. I will just watch while she gets better. I wonder if being sick will tell the truth. If her body is busy fighting an infection, maybe it will stop focusing on being pregnant(if it is false). If it isn't a false pregnancy then I worry about the babies health.
I worried in the beginning about her ability to be a parent. I worried because she is sight impaired, anti-social (I didn't know she wasn't spayed) and just different. She isn't retarded, I think she wasn't socialized properly. Since her return yesterday, she is very loving and has been socializing with the others. It is almost like she came back a different cat. She still hisses at the kittens when they want to climb her but she is not hiding under the bed like she did before. She came to my bed this morning even though there were others in the room, that is huge for her.
I will just watch her as she recovers and see what happens.
I learned something: Always ask for
paperwork and medical records, if not available, dont assume anything!!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

She was a pretty thin cat so she just looked thicker. She now looks pregnant. The vet said about 6 wks along but he said he wouldn't recommend spaying her now, until she is over the URI. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what kind of a momma she would be and I am not up to raising another litter
I will have to get her better first and go from there.
Amy, I am sure you will make the right decision. It almost seems like the choice is being taken out of your hands. But you can certainly still spay her later in the pregnancy if you decide to do it. I volunteer for a feral spay and neuther clinic...and they basically spay everyone.

Think about your feelings. There are pros and cons to both sides. You are currently overwhelmed with kittens, but like you said...it may seem snobby, but litter meezer looking babies will be easy to adopt out!

Do not blame yourself at all for this pregnancy. You did the best you could with the knowledge you had at the time. I fully support you, whichever way you decide.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this is a tough one. The false pregnancy theory is a good one...you just never know! That would be wonderful if that were the case.

Whatever you choose, Amy, we're behind you! You've done the best you can, and that's all you can do!