Amy has Nina been found?

silvermoonmyst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Taz escaped again today. i know how you feel. i think im going to have another batch of kittens in a couple of months.. sigh. this isnt good. She was supposed to go to a new home here in a few weeks, but if shes pregnant, i guess i get to keep her a bit longer. She actually knocked the screen outta the window to get out!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some how my post got deleted. Nina is home but she has a URI. She is also further along than we originally thought. Her belly has grown since she has been gone.

[/IMG]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amy----- oh sorry she has a URI! How far are they thinking now? isn't it around 4-5 weeks that they "show" so thought you said last week they figured about 4 weeks so that would put her at 5 weeks and showing now right? or am I off on what you said when. LOL

And WOW is she showing!!!!!!!!! Angel is almost 4 weeks (Tue was her first day out) and barely has a bump, wouldn't even notice it if you didn't know how thin she was before. I keep questioning on if she really IS preg or not. hahaaa. Was Nina showing at all before she got out? how many days was she gone again? wasn't it Tue till today or yesterday so only 3 days?

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok went and looked and last week was 5 weeks so she would be 6 weeks now right?

And gone Tue through Sat...... was she showing at 5 weeks? Just trying to estimate if Angel will just pop and be big one day or if it will be a slow change. LOL

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was a pretty thin cat so she just looked thicker. She now looks pregnant. The vet said about 6 wks along but he said he wouldn't recommend spaying her now, until she is over the URI. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what kind of a momma she would be and I am not up to raising another litter
I will have to get her better first and go from there.

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
amy---- wow what a hard choice! How long should it take her to recover from the URI? Hope she recovers FAST so you can get her spayed still. How far along will this vet do it up until?

Ok sounds like Angel. right now she is just thicker and every so often looks like she has a little roundness.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you have her home, I hope she recovers in time to be spayed.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! The vet said about 7 days to recover. She acts like she doesn't feel good but it is not critical. I have to think about this one

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amy--- thinking of you with your decision. it is always a hard one and stinks it has been made even harder on you.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a hard time now that she is showing. I contacted a Siamese Rescue just north of where I live. They will take her kittens, regardless of who the father is. The thing is she didn't get out 6 wks ago. She got out 3 wks ago and then hadn't escaped for 3 months before that (except for this week). I did have Cassidy neutered on his 5 month birthday. He is now almost 8 months. Because I thought Nina was spayed there was never an issue. I didn't see any mating behavior and never saw him mount her. Could he be the father? If Nina is 5-6 wks pregnant and he has been neutered for 2 1/2 almost 3 months is it still possible? Eye,Eye,Eye...what have I done?!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could be the father...it she's 6 weeks along, it's possible he was still carrying some fertile sperm after his neuter, for several weeks.

Amy, do not beat yourself up over any of this. It has been one big unfortunate accident, and you've certainly done the best you could...add into the mix that she ran away for several days, and that only further complicates everything.

If it were me (and normally I wouldn't say this), I would allow her to have the kittens...it's almost too late to really do anything else. There are a few organizations and rescues that will spay a queen in any phase of pregnancy, but that's a tough decision to make. If you choose to allow her to deliver, check into the possibility of finding a foster mommy through a rescue organization that can keep Nina and the kittens through the birth and up through the weaning process. After the delivery, have Nina spayed immediately...this may mean the kittens may have to be bottle fed temporarily, and that's okay. Once the babies have found homes, Nina can return home to you. I know that sounds like an awful lot of shuffling around for Nina, but it would take a load off your plate, and having Nina spayed either now (thus aborting the kittens), or immediately after the kittens are born, will be such a big relief to you.

It's up to you! Whatever you decide, we all understand. It's a tough position you're in, and we know whatever you do, you'll do it with Nina's best interest at heart.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It wouldn't be so hard but it really hits close to home because I have these two abandoned mammas with kittens that no one wanted! Of course I want them all but that is not realistic. I hate to add to the unwanted kittens but my only bright thought is... being Siamese mix and possibly Ragdoll mix they will have a better chance at finding a good home. The Siamese Rescue I talked to is very strict on their adoption policies. They require written or verbal proof of landlord approval and take into consideration the length of time you have had your previous pets. Oh, I don't know what to do
I don't believe in human abortion personally but I do believe in a persons personal choice and I know that cats are not humans...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't make you a bad person to choose to have her spayed now...you will be making your own personal contribution to help a HUGE problem across the world...which is the problem of cat overpopulation. Nina will be a healthier, more content cat once she is spayed, whether it is now, or right after she delivers her litter (if this is what you decide). If your gut tells you that you can't handle another litter right now, you're probably right...go with your gut. And if you're not sure what your gut is saying, wait until you know. These are hard questions, with no easy answers...you will need to sleep on it, I'm sure. But don't stress yourself out even more by giving Nina human attributes. In other words, if you're pro-life in terms of human babies, that's fine. But Nina's world is so much different than ours...they are not operating under the same moral principles that we have. It will not affect Nina's emotional stability, or give her a tremendous sense of loss or guilt if you choose to have her spayed now...it just doesn't work the same way with cats as it does us, even though it is so easy to adopt the same moral values and belief systems that we have for ourselves for our pets. She'll be fine, no matter what you choose to do with the situation.

You will know what you have to do soon enough. Give it some more time, if you need. Go do something for yourself, and clear your head. Maybe after a cup of coffee, and some time sitting outdoors, or gardening, or soaking in the tub, you'll know. Or maybe after you look into Nina's eyes, and have a good heart-to-heart talk...this may sound corny, but my cats get regular talks from me. You know what they say, that a cat's eyes are the window to it's soul...I think this is true. Tell her you love her, and that you need some help from her deciding what should be done. Her face may give you some indication...I think sometimes they do understand our words so much more than we think they do (after I just get done talking about human morals vs. cat's...sheesh!!!).

Let us know what you think!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, Amy, I'm sorry you have to make such a hard decision. How many kittens/momcats do you have right now, and how old? Is it possible that some might be adopted out by the time Nina has hers? I think it's a good sign about the Siamese rescue. Cassidy looks to be part Siamese too...