Am I responsible for this?!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok...here it goes...I am pet sitting for this lady in the neighborhood. She left yesterday and won't be back til Monday night. I told her I would be able to walk her "puppy" who is 9 months old and is very active, 3 times a day. She told that would be good so he could release some energy. I went 3 times yesterday and just got back from round 3 today and noticed he has chewed up a patch of the arm on a chair and the side of her ottoman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, what the heck I am suppose to do? Call her and tell her NOW or wait til Monday and let her see it, or should I call her Monday?!?!?! This has never happened to me before! I've done everything she has told me to do. I even took all her paperwork off of her table because everytime I came by something else was already chewed up!! This is just nuts. I really hope she doesn't get mad at me. I guess all I can really do is call her in the morning when I go over there, since it's already 10pm? Am I responsible for this puppy's behavior while his owner is away? I've done everything she told me to do.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are responsible for the behavior of the puppy. You said you would walk the dog not be there every second of every day to be sure that he doesn't chew anything. Obviously she already knows that he is a bit of a rascle to know he needs some energy relasing walks. I would wait until she comes home as there is nothing she can do about it now. What's done is done and she might as well enjoy her time away. Just try to put up anything else he might chew that you can and hope for the best... Maybe try to get a couple of chew toys for him that may occupy his time a bit. Hopefully he doesn't chew on anything else.. I think you are doing a wonderful job thus far going all three times like you said you would.!!!! Just relax and hope for the best!

Silly Jilly

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squirt used to always tear up my bathroom when I went away for the weekend, and he was the only cat in the house. I think pets get lonely, too, and this pup is only 9 months old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've been thinking about it and I agree...I'll just call her Monday night and tell her to call me (I'll leave a vm). I am going to put the dog in the backyard during the day tomorrow and hopefully it won't rain. The lady obviously doesn't plan ahead, she realized she needed a sitter on Thursday morning and she was leaving Friday morning. It makes me sick to see her furniture chewed up...I just don't understand why people don't do something about it the first time around.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Thanks! I've been thinking about it and I agree...I'll just call her Monday night and tell her to call me (I'll leave a vm). I am going to put the dog in the backyard during the day tomorrow and hopefully it won't rain. The lady obviously doesn't plan ahead, she realized she needed a sitter on Thursday morning and she was leaving Friday morning. It makes me sick to see her furniture chewed up...I just don't understand why people don't do something about it the first time around.
The dog is probably anxious that the owner is gone, so he chews. It's not your fault at all. If the dog is an inside dog, I wouldn't leave it un-attended alone in a back yard.
What if he runs off? The dog is more important than some furniture. Some people keep their dogs in crates. Does she have a dog crate?
Also, it's her furniture, so let her deal with it once she comes back, and don't worry about it. You are not the one chewing on it, LOL.

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you put food in some kind of toy or box for him to get it out is a great distraction
we usualy put food scraps in a kong for our dogs when we'l be gone for about a day
i dont think its ur responsibility tho

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope not your fault. But i also wouldnt leave him outside all day on his own. Hes a pup and can find lots of things to get into..and there is always the horrible thought of someone snatching him thats my horrible nightmare...hense why we have a paddlock on our outdoor run.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Puppies chew especially when they're bored. I had a co-worker who was taking care of her son's german shephard puppy who was about 8-9 months old. Normally the dog was crated when he was left alone. But she felt sorry for him so she decided to keep him in her bathroom. When she got home, the poor dog was cowering in the sink while water sprayed every where. He had chewed through the tubing to the toilet.

You've tried to minimize the damage. Tell her when she gets back on Monday.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Puppies chew, it's what they do and no you are not responsible, and don't let her tell you that you are when she gets back-

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - I dont think your responsible at all - you are doing what you said and walking him 3 times a day - as everyone has said - puppies chew!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful for that pup to be left alone, esp. since dogs are pack animals!! You are doing alot, taking him out 3X a day. Crating him is probably your best option, although the owner might object, if she thinks it's traumatizing for him. And you would need her permission (I'd try to get it via fax first) to put him outside, esp. in the summer heat & poss. storms. It's really her call to make; hopefully she'll check her vm's., although IMO she should have called already, to see how things are going - after all, we're talking about a puppy, not an older dog, and it sounds like this is the first time that you've done this assignment for her. It is definitely not your fault that the pup chewed furniture, but it might help your credibility if you can somehow prove that you indeed went there the 3X. She can ask any dog expert - her leaving the dog alone is why this has happened; she could have kenneled him instead. Even if she leaves him alone while she's at work, animals have this 6th sense that lets them know when the owner is really away, and he obviously is upset by that. I really feel for you, not knowing how the owner will react, so here's prayers & vibes that she will be realistic, and accept that this is just another reality of pet ownership!! Please keep us updated! We're behind you 110%!!
Susan

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree....it's not your fault. Now if it were your dog...yeah, but it's her dog in her house.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have added..like everyone else has said..PUPPIES CHEW...dont i know it. we have two..and we have lost more shoes, shirts, any kind of clothing, because they are chewing them. I usually crate when I am gone, or now we have the outdoor if its not to hot. but they still get upset and will "retaliate" that being said I havent gone anywhere (bar my trip to AZ when steve had the days off and was home all day with them) since we got the pups, unless we could take them with.

Its stressfull for Dogs, who are big pack animals when you leave. I work from home, and i tell you the One day a month I go into the office, I get MAULED when i come home. from dogs, and cats lol..So no its not your fault. and if she tries to pin it on you..give her my number...I will tell her a few things about Pup Behaviour and mentality..heh

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wouldn't put a rambunctious 9 month old outside on his own..You could come back to something worse and she could really blame you then.

This dog should really have a crate (for all the time, even when she is there), and a pet sitter that stays in the home or she should have boarded him...

I would suggest crate training when she comes home.. But just mention it. Don't admit guilt as its not your fault at all.

Puppies chew. Does he have a good assortment of chew toys? A Kong is the best chew toy ever for an aggresssive chewer.

Even then, he still may damage the furniture when left to his own devices (this could have happened while she was away for the day at work, let alone on vacation!)..

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I hope she doesn't get mad at the pup either. Its not his fault

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your responses...I actually called her this morning because Zack said it would be the best thing to do. She was NOT surprised. Apparently, those holes were already there...and she even told me that she should have known better. What a relief! I don't know why I didn't notice them sooner! Oh well! She was really nice bout it and told me to sprinkle some pepper in the holes, which then I noticed if I looked closer...there were tiny pepper pieces in there already. So...I am in the clear and I'll be pet sitting for her again in 2 weeks.
Btw, the dog has a couple of toys, I think we'll get the Kong too!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is good. Now you can enjoy your time with the puppy instead of worrying.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Thanks for all your responses...I actually called her this morning because Zack said it would be the best thing to do. She was NOT surprised. Apparently, those holes were already there...and she even told me that she should have known better. What a relief! I don't know why I didn't notice them sooner! Oh well! She was really nice bout it and told me to sprinkle some pepper in the holes, which then I noticed if I looked closer...there were tiny pepper pieces in there already. So...I am in the clear and I'll be pet sitting for her again in 2 weeks.
Btw, the dog has a couple of toys, I think we'll get the Kong too!
Caprice,
You can also gently suggest to her that pepper isn't the best thing to put where you don't want a dog to chew. It obviously doesn't work

A good product for that is Bitter Apple spray. It tastes horrible and is a good chewing deterrent. You can get Bitter Apple at any Pet supplies retail store I should think.

Yes, Kongs are great...You can put kibble in there and smear the opening with some peanut butter and it will keep a dog busy for a long while usually.

I would also let her know about the crate..Crate training can be done at a later age and isn't cruel as people often think. Its actually more humane as it acts as a "safe den" for an anxious pup...Many owners even leave their crates open when they are there and the dog uses them willingly when it wants some peace

Here is a good intro to give her to introduce a dog slowly to a crate.
It is NEVER to be used for punishment BTW

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html