Am I feeding my 3 week old kitten too much?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I could weigh him but I don't have a scale

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys I have a question. I have an appointment Monday that, if at all possible, I don't need to cancel. I would be gone several hours (at least 10+ between the round trip drive, waiting & visit). Do you think he would be OK if I fed him a big meal before I left & put a little dish of soaked food in there for him to nibble on if he wanted to? He hasn't gotten the hang of eating on his own but he does nibble. The longest he's gone between feedings is about 7 hrs & when I feed him formula he eats about 13 mls & when it's wet he eats about 15-17 mls. So do you think he'd be OK for one day going about 10 hrs or so until I got home to feed him again. If, like I said, I feed him a big meal before I leave & put soaked food in there & a little water? He'll be a little over 4 wks come Monday

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if he'll be able to regulate his body heat by then.  Could you bring him with to your appt.?  Or is there someone who could check on him while you are gone?

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He goes about probably 4-5 hrs now between sock hearings. I heat them up for him after each meal & they hold their heat for a few hrs & then I heat them up again after the next meal. His temp so far has been fine & he's in a crate in a nice warm room.

And no one to check on him & I can't take him with me :(

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know, but it seems too long to leave him alone.  Is there someone you work with, I assume he is in a crate or something that you can bring him to them in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it's too long since he is not eating on his own yet. He is just too little. He depends on you to feed him, and he has just been making good progress. I'd hate to see him backslide. Can you take him with you or make arrangements? And he cannot be left in the car either, of course.

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try to see if I can push the appointment a couple of weeks