Am i doing the right thing by my cat? Outdoor cat relegated to indoors.

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my 2 year old cat and i moved at the start of this year into a small, one bedroom apartment with a small balcony.  Before this i was living with relatives and zorro was an outdoor cat that could come inside as he pleased, so 50/50 inside/outside 

For the past 5 months at the new place he was also 50/50 inside/outside but has also been to the vet 6 times since moving due to injuring himself outdoors, nothing serious, just cuts on his paws and punctures from cat fights but needed the vet none the less, there seems to be allot more cats at the new place so hence the injuries.

The last injury was the most serious, he somehow tore out 3 of his claws from a back leg, as i didn't want him handicapped if he needed his claws in a situation outside, i was forced to keep him inside for the past 2 months while they grow back(they are still not fully grown, but luckily they are growing back normally), . But this was also the last straw for me, for 2 reasons:

1. The way i see it, its only a matter of time before he seriously injures himself or worse

and

2. i just couldn't afford that volume of vet bills, i can afford them for the needed health of my cat but not all the preventable injuries that can be totally avoided buty keeping him inside.

So ive decided to keep him indoors 24/7, he has now been indoors full time for 2 months.

Now my dilemma, the happiness of my cat Vs keeping him healthy and out of the vets office.

He's seems to have adjusted ok, at first there was allot of crying at the door to go out but he has now realised that no matter how much he cries he can't get out and has stopped crying and settled down. He is also desexed and is comfortable using a litter tray as he's always had one available for when he choose to be inside. There's no unusual behaviour but he is not ecstatic about the situation. The thing is, my apartment is very small(one bedroom with living room and kitchen combined and a small bathroom) and he is a very active/playful cat, also he rarely plays by himself and will only play if i'm moving the toys, so he requires allot of me to use his pent up energy and when i cant play with him he looks kinda sad but resigns to going to sleep on my bed or sitting at one of the windows.

I do have a small balcony, but until i can totally cat proof it, he cant use it as he has already tried to jump from it(luckily i was quick and literally caught him mid air).

I kinda feel that this situation could leave him susceptible to  being depressed and sad and i dont know whats worse, a very unhappy cat or a few cuts and grazes. I was actually thinking the other day that, although it would break my heart, i should not be selfish and maybe i should find him a new owner with an allot bigger house where he would be able to move around allot more. So am i doing the right thing by my cat? I know there are more things i can do like getting him some perches and he is still young and is still very hyper active any may settle a bit more, but none the less im still unsure what to do.

Sorry for the drawn out post, just wanted to get as much info in as possible.

Any advice is very much welcome.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That's a tough question.  Do you think you could find a new home for him where  he would be able to go outside safely?  That might not be so easy to find so just in case, the best thing is to make him as happy as possible where you are. He's certainly happier there than being given up to a rescue or shelter.

I understand what it is like to have an indoor cat in a small apartment as I have 2 in a place that sounds much like yours, but without the balcony.  So that's one thing you could do - get him a playmate.  If you want to consider this, try to find him a cat with a complementary personality.  An older cat might not get along with a young energetic kitten for example.

The other thing is to play with him a lot.  There are two toys in particular my cats go crazy over - Da Bird, which is a wand toy with guinea feathers on the end and a red dot laser.  Below are the amazon links to them.

Da Bird

1.    This is the bare bones unit

2.    This is more money but comes with two replacement feathers which you will need if your cat really likes it, which most cats do.

The great thing about Da Bird is that the feather attachment is replaceable and other attachments are available, for example a rabbits foot.  You want to let your cat catch it periodically and carry it away so he feels he has caught his prey.

The Laser

I found this one recommended on this site and so far it's been great.  It takes 3 AAA batteries, which are included and has other features, like a regular flashlight bulb.

The nice thing about the laser is that you can sit down to use it, so  if kitty has you exhausted, you can take a break and entertain him at the same time.   One warning about lasers.  Because this activates their prey drive, it is often recommended that you stoop it periodically on toys or other items you have scattered around the floor and end by giving a treat.  That reduces the frustration level.  Not all cats like lasers and not all are frustrated by it - both of mine love it and show no frustration at all but I can imagine that with some cats it might be a problem.  Hence the treat at the end.

These are the top two toys that my cats like but other cats have different preferences. 

There is no reason why your cat can't be healthy and happy as an indoor cat.  I had two neutered males that had to make the transition from indoor/outdoors to indoors only at ages 9 and 11 and both managed just fine. 

einzmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May as well start keeping him indoors since you're from Australia. Isn't your government declaring war on feral cats and is aiming to kill 2 million by 2020? I wonder how they determine which cats are feral and which are someone's pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's a tough question.  Do you think you could find a new home for him where  he would be able to go outside safely?  That might not be so easy to find so just in case, the best thing is to make him as happy as possible where you are. He's certainly happier there than being given up to a rescue or shelter.

I understand what it is like to have an indoor cat in a small apartment as I have 2 in a place that sounds much like yours, but without the balcony.  So that's one thing you could do - get him a playmate.  If you want to consider this, try to find him a cat with a complementary personality.  An older cat might not get along with a young energetic kitten for example.

The other thing is to play with him a lot.  There are two toys in particular my cats go crazy over - Da Bird, which is a wand toy with guinea feathers on the end and a red dot laser.  Below are the amazon links to them.

Da Bird

1.    This is the bare bones unit

2.    This is more money but comes with two replacement feathers which you will need if your cat really likes it, which most cats do.

The great thing about Da Bird is that the feather attachment is replaceable and other attachments are available, for example a rabbits foot.  You want to let your cat catch it periodically and carry it away so he feels he has caught his prey.

The Laser

I found this one recommended on this site and so far it's been great.  It takes 3 AAA batteries, which are included and has other features, like a regular flashlight bulb.

The nice thing about the laser is that you can sit down to use it, so  if kitty has you exhausted, you can take a break and entertain him at the same time.   One warning about lasers.  Because this activates their prey drive, it is often recommended that you stoop it periodically on toys or other items you have scattered around the floor and end by giving a treat.  That reduces the frustration level.  Not all cats like lasers and not all are frustrated by it - both of mine love it and show no frustration at all but I can imagine that with some cats it might be a problem.  Hence the treat at the end.

These are the top two toys that my cats like but other cats have different preferences. 

There is no reason why your cat can't be healthy and happy as an indoor cat.  I had two neutered males that had to make the transition from indoor/outdoors to indoors only at ages 9 and 11 and both managed just fine. 
Thanks for all that great info! i will definitely look into those. I should have been more clear, giving him up is only a last resort if i find that he is in danger of becoming too depressed and i would only give him up to someone i know that would look after him properly, no shelters.. I will definitely try my hardest to persevere with the toys and such.

I've had cats most of my life, had them when i was a young kid living with my mother in an apartment that was bigger than the one im in now, as best as i remember our cats(as in one after the other not at same time) were happy, even though i was at school and my mother at work all day and they were indoors 24/7.. i think it's just a matter of he hasn't fully adjusted yet, he is still young and full of kitten energy and his personality type.

May as well start keeping him indoors since you're from Australia. Isn't your government declaring war on feral cats and is aiming to kill 2 million by 2020? I wonder how they determine which cats are feral and which are someone's pet.
Hmm i haven't heard anything about that, i will have to check that out... my best guess is microchips will play a large part in telling them apart.

Last edited:

einzmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The articles said that they will kill the cats by baiting, shooting and poisoning. I guess they can tell if someone's cat is a pet by trapping it, but shooting,poisoning, and putting a poison inside a sausage to use as bait? It sounds too dangerous for outdoor cats there.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[thread="297074"]​[/thread]Most cats adjust very well to the indoor life. An easy way to make your home feel much bigger for him is by making use of vertical space. This thread shows what can be achieved - you don't have to go to these extremes (those cats are really lucky :D ), but it is great for inspiration: [thread="297074"]​[/thread].

Another thing you could consider is harness training. That way your cat can still have some outside access, but in a safe, controlled way. [article="22430"]​[/article]

As already mentioned, daily interactive playtime is essential - especially for cats in smaller spaces. [article="0"]​[/article]
[article="0"]​[/article]

These articles also have ideas to keep an indoor only cat entertained and stimulated :-
[article="22426"]​[/article]
[article="22537"]​[/article]